vinyl coefficient of friction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This might amuse you. This is 1/3 octave noise at 12kHz modulated by rotational artifacts. The surface crackle on a silent groove is also modulated. This TT has a spindle diameter well out of RIAA specs requiring careful centering of each LP, time for a sleeve shim.
Thanks, indeed many things amuse me. The 12kHz AM modulation is puzzling, because AM requires a multiplication stage but there isn't an obvious source of that. Perhaps what might be displayed is FM modulation (caused by eccentricity varying speed), then 12kHz aliasing with the display resolution ? But I can't see a connection between eccentricity and friction variation, because variation in both forces and alignment angles involved in moving the tonearm to accommodate are so small.........

Likewise, personally I've not observed a general relationship between crackle-pop noise and eccentricity or warp, unless really pronounced - then I've thought it sounds like wear burn, perhaps due to stiff tonearm bearings on previous equipment ? However, some pressings have once per revolution crackle-pop, which I attribute to variation in vinyl compound around the pressing, affecting friction surface. I don't think it necessarily correlates with eccentric centering though.

Thanks, indeed many things amuse me. The 12kHz AM modulation is puzzling, because AM requires a multiplication stage but there isn't an obvious source of that. Perhaps what might be displayed is FM modulation (caused by eccentricity varying speed), then 12kHz aliasing with the display resolution ? But I can't see a connection between eccentricity and friction variation, because variation in both forces and alignment angles involved in moving the tonearm to accommodate are so small.........

It's there when you zoom in, since it's 1/3 octave noise centered at 12kHz I assume it's due to all the intermods in some way. BTW I modified an external sound card to do DC, it's surprising how much .55Hz and its harmonics are at the input.

Here's a few measurements which nicely show some benefits of reducing friction. They date from my experiments with water as a lubricant, which sparked my interest in the whole opportunity that reduced friction can offer to vinyl playback. It can be profound, IME.

First is a plot of IMD spectrum, for dry and wet playback of the same test record. It not only demonstrates no change to IMD performance, if anything a small improvement for wet playback, but very nicely demonstrates profound improvement to noise floor.

Second plot is measurement of low frequency spectrum whilst playing a pink noise track. Shows profound reduction in low frequency headshell wobble with wet playback, repeated 3 times because I did not initially believe the result ! It took a long time before I could work out why this might be so. Skate force depends on friction force, and random noise variation in it is a stimulus for headshell wobble. What the graph shows is a reduction in low frequency stimulus associated with reduced random variation in friction.

Interesting ?

PS: I'm not advocating wet playback. Just a means to an end in terms of demonstrating effects of reduced friction.

Attachments

• Wet-dry Tone2.jpg
    Wet-dry Tone2.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Wet-dryPinkNoiseSpectrum.jpg
    Wet-dryPinkNoiseSpectrum.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
It's there when you zoom in, since it's 1/3 octave noise centered at 12kHz I assume it's due to all the intermods in some way. BTW I modified an external sound card to do DC, it's surprising how much .55Hz and its harmonics are at the input.
Yes, no doubt eccentricity has profound effect of its own, just I don't see the connection with friction.............

BTW, here's a neat way of looking at profound FM effects of eccentricity, the mechanical source of 0.55Hz IMD. For a test tone c 3kHz, once round the plot is one platter revolution, radius is 'instantaneous' frequency. One can also see warp and headshell wobble, as well as motor speed variations on these plots.

This plot happens to be a SP10 versus a 1200, red and blue traces.

Attachments

• sp10v1200.JPG
    sp10v1200.JPG
    303.7 KB · Views: 122
What I don't have a handle on is the cause of a commonly-reported phenomenon with wet play (that I personally experienced with the old Lenco system)- records, once played wet, become horribly noisy if they are ever played again dry. Any ideas or data?
After playing wet, some (but not all) records measure significant increase in coefficient of friction in subsequent dry playback IME from my own tests. Many end up with higher coefficient than before wet playback. Those records which show this increase also show increased crackle-pop noise, and those which don't, don't. So I suppose wet playback can somehow permanently alters the vinyl friction surface, but don't know enough about vinyl polymer mechanics or tribology to explain why.

Last edited:
Lencoclean

I have heard that wet playing permanently damages (some?) discs.
If that is the case, why wouldn't vacuum cleaning like VPI or Monks do the same thing? Or ultrasonic cleaning?
When I used the VPI 16.5, I got the disc wet with the patented cleaning solution, bore down on it with the special brush, then vacuumed the water off.
I ask this in the spirit of speculation, because I never did controlled experiments with the VPI. I simply assumed that it would clean the record more thoroughly than my previous efforts with the Discwasher.

I guess the experiment would involve getting three identical pressings, playing them pre-cleaning to observe their "as-pressed" spectra, then subject them to the various cleaning methods and review their post-cleaning spectra.

There's one big difference: the wet-played records have the stylus banging around in a wet groove. Water alone won't degrade vinyl from a chemical standpoint, there's something mechanical going on with the slip'n'slide method.
I don't see any evidence that wet-playback has the stylus banging around, quite the opposite. All pointers are that stylus follows the locus of the groove base better (if anything) than for dry playback, ie 'bangs about' less. Otherwise it would show up in noise, THD, IMD, f resp measurements somewhere, but doesn't.

I suppose it has something to do with changes to the vinyl surface under pressure in the presence of water, but I really don't know, but I know of no evidence of mechanical misbehaviour, quite the opposite..........

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I calculated kinetic energy for a platter. Was surprised how pathetically low it is. 10mJ for the platter used in the pardee paper. Just goes to show if you don't do the sums you think wrong!

For the TD160 platter the rotational kinetic energy is ~250mJ at 33.3rpm
(hoping your family is doing well)

I haven't seen any evidence, period. Who knows, maybe it IS microcavitation. But water doesn't have a strong interaction with vinyl surfaces, which is one reason that we make shower curtains, water pipes, and swimming pools out of it.

Cavitation maybe an issue.
Hydrodynamics is a complex field. The more the liquid film is squeezed and the more abrupt it’s thickness changes, the chances for cavitation formation increase.
My opinion is that the damaging of the groove walls from cavitation can be seen through an optical microscope.

George

Attachments

• TD160 platter.JPG
    TD160 platter.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Cavitation.JPG
    Cavitation.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
I haven't seen any evidence, period.
Yes I found the same problem. So I made measurements of friction coefficient versus: f response, noise floor, THD, and IMD, and that is what I based my opinions on. These results aren't published and aren't reviewed, but I believe them to be robust, repeatable and certainly sufficient for the purposes I have, and on a balance of probabilities seem safe to use as indicators.

My opinion is that the damaging of the groove walls from cavitation can be seen through an optical microscope.
It would not surprise me if changes to vinyl surface were visible with good microscopy. But the leap to cavitation as an explanation, though plausible IMO, is not confirmed AFAIK. The fluid layer is under great pressure for a very short time, and I'd imagine examination of available energy would be revealing as to whether the dynamics supports cavitation - I don't know enough to comment. Where is a tribologist when you need one ?

Some records survive wet playback without audible degradation in dry playback noise floor IME, but it's a minority, and that has to be explained either way.

And yes, with such a range of platter inertia available, stored rotational energy can vary by more than an order of magnitude and ~250mJ is also plausible. For the stopping method as per Pardee's paper, what matters really is that stopping time from bearing friction alone is as long as can be, and >90s is a good target for accurate measurement of stylus-groove friction measurement IME, which implies a high inertia platter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.