Vifa TC9FD18-08 best bang for the buck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Timothy dings both the Fostex FE83En and FF85WK for their poor performance and low value. Who in their right mind would use either of those drivers?

Like Dave says, FF85WK is an excellent driver, either running alone or in a multi-way as a mid-tweet, or mid. During this past weekends diyFest, we listened to an excellent 3-way using the ff85wk as a mid only.

I have the FF105WK and can't use it without EQ - nasty 7kHz spike. Good bass extension though.

I won a pair of these in the diyFest raffle. They'll be going into a Falcon box. I'll see if I can stand the 7k peak without a notch.

jeff

Timothy dings both the Fostex FE83En and FF85WK for their poor performance and low value. Who in their right mind would use either of those drivers?

I've used both and found the FE83 to be pretty poor, but the FF85 was very very good. I don't know who Timothy is but what did he base his feelings off? I have a measurement thread for the FF85 somewhere. Wait a minute. Ok here it is: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...udio-alpair-6p-tested-against-each-other.html

Perhaps Timothy was considering their use into the bass region? In that case I'd agree they're only useful for desktops and light SPL duty. With woofer support though, they're really good.

The harmonic distortion remaining high above 1kHz on the FF85WK is not good. It usually means that it's not strongly related to excursion and won't go away considerably if the volume is lowered. At 400-500Hz things are really not looking too flash with F4 and F5 almost at the levels of F2 and F3, that points to audible higher order distortion.
The FF85WK also has very high voicecoil inductance, which will usually result in higher intermodulation distortion than other drivers.

Looks promising, low VC inductance combined with a flat-ish response is usually a good sign.

Last edited:
The harmonic distortion remaining high above 1kHz on the FF85WK is not good. It usually means that it's not strongly related to excursion and won't go away considerably if the volume is lowered. At 400-500Hz things are really not looking too flash with F4 and F5 almost at the levels of F2 and F3, that points to audible higher order distortion.
The FF85WK also has very high voicecoil inductance, which will usually result in higher intermodulation distortion than other drivers.

So chances are the FF85wKeN does considerably better with the mods P10 usually does to the frame of the driver (if he does apply them on this model which I assume). That, and the brace he uses supporting the motor in his enclosures.

Just thinking out loud here, the frame of that driver could be the main reason for it's weak performance in distortion tests.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think it may be that the FF series don't have copper shorting rings on the motor. The plastic frame on the TC9, TG9, P830986, P830983, SB65 don't seem to give them a problem with lower HD. I think the paper cone without any damping coating on them may be causing excessive vibrations which lead to increased HD. Agree that any effort put into damping a stamped steel basket should help reduce vibrations.

So chances are the FF85wKeN does considerably better with the mods P10 usually does to the frame of the driver (if he does apply them on this model which I assume). That, and the brace he uses supporting the motor in his enclosures.

Just thinking out loud here, the frame of that driver could be the main reason for it's weak performance in distortion tests.
If there were a resonance problem with the frame it would present itself only through a narrow band of frequencies. If there were an airflow problem with the frame it would only present itself at low frequencies.

The reason for the higher level of NLD seen in the FF85WK across the entire frequency range will be because the motor isn't as well designed as competing units. It's not something that can fixed by a trivial modification, it pretty much requires that the entire motor be re-engineered. It's still not a terrible speaker by any means and the distortion is still much lower than many other popular cheaper drivers. I can see why people would give it subjectively high praise, because the frequency response is already close to flat. That said, there are other drivers that represent better value for money if you are prepared to apply some EQ to them. For instance, I don't like how the TC9/TG9 sounds without EQ, but i can recognise that with some work it is has more potential than an FF85WK.

Last edited:
For drivers like this I wouldn't expect people to use DSP eq, maybe basic GEQ found on their computer at most. The added complexity for such a cheap driver and potential applications just doesn't make sense. And if not using eq then the FR and polar data trumps the HD by a mile. I rarely display the HD measurements I take and I can't remember how I found this driver to be in my measurements (I could bring up the measurements) but I don't recall them being gross. Usually HD adds a bit of mud to the presentation but it has to be pretty bad to be an issue. but, that's all just IMO.

Where can I see your measurements TMM? Do you describe your methodology? Thanks.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I don't like how the TC9/TG9 sounds without EQ,

TMM,
These drivers measure about as flat as a driver can measure. What about the sound don't you like that you fix with EQ on these? Like all drivers in a small baffle, they need BSC unless you are running them in a FAST with an appropriate XO point where you can let the woofer compensate.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
For drivers like this I wouldn't expect people to use DSP eq, maybe basic GEQ found on their computer at most. The added complexity for such a cheap driver and potential applications just doesn't make sense. And if not using eq then the FR and polar data trumps the HD by a mile. I rarely display the HD measurements I take and I can't remember how I found this driver to be in my measurements (I could bring up the measurements) but I don't recall them being gross. Usually HD adds a bit of mud to the presentation but it has to be pretty bad to be an issue. but, that's all just IMO.

Where can I see your measurements TMM? Do you describe your methodology? Thanks.

I think TMM's wesbsite is here:
Timothy Feleppa's Pages

Thanks. HD is -40db 2nd and more for 3-5. Seems fine to me. I didn't hear any distortion problems except in the bass frequencies where I wouldn't use any of these 3" full Rangers, personally.

Nice site. Why merge the NF and FF so high? And why not make the FF more like 1m? Seems unusual to do it that way. Maybe even inaccurate.

Thanks. HD is -40db 2nd and more for 3-5. Seems fine to me. I didn't hear any distortion problems except in the bass frequencies where I wouldn't use any of these 3" full Rangers, personally.

Nice site. Why merge the NF and FF so high? And why not make the FF more like 1m? Seems unusual to do it that way. Maybe even inaccurate.

Hi Ryan regarding inaccurate see below compare to Fostex datasheet, think TTM's data look pretty :cool:.

Attachments

• TTM.png
    TTM.png
    110.6 KB · Views: 945
I think it may be that the FF series don't have copper shorting rings on the motor. The plastic frame on the TC9, TG9, P830986, P830983, SB65 don't seem to give them a problem with lower HD. I think the paper cone without any damping coating on them may be causing excessive vibrations which lead to increased HD. Agree that any effort put into damping a stamped steel basket should help reduce vibrations.

If there were a resonance problem with the frame it would present itself only through a narrow band of frequencies. If there were an airflow problem with the frame it would only present itself at low frequencies.

The reason for the higher level of NLD seen in the FF85WK across the entire frequency range will be because the motor isn't as well designed as competing units. It's not something that can fixed by a trivial modification, it pretty much requires that the entire motor be re-engineered. It's still not a terrible speaker by any means and the distortion is still much lower than many other popular cheaper drivers. I can see why people would give it subjectively high praise, because the frequency response is already close to flat. That said, there are other drivers that represent better value for money if you are prepared to apply some EQ to them. For instance, I don't like how the TC9/TG9 sounds without EQ, but i can recognise that with some work it is has more potential than an FF85WK.
´
Its just so small and by that could be very rigid and stable even its stamped stell basket, with a :) can we say terminal spades this driver have so huge a area compared the driver that if anything vibrates and needs damping it must be them, EQ for the rest or what.

attachment.php

Attachments

• FF85WK.png
    FF85WK.png
    307.4 KB · Views: 1,164
Last edited:
The market is full of small fulrange driver, 3-4 inches turned out to be ideal size..
If they are well designed can replace midrange and tweeter.. it is foolish to use them as a woofer, for everyone distortion rapidly growing below 500Hz, that is exactly point where they should be cut..

The quality increases with price.. Vifa is not bad at all, but Visaton B80 is faster and with smaller distorsion, and more expensive.. ScanSpeak 10F/8424 even little better, and twice costly..

For me, making of speakers is big enough harassment, and should not be repeated frequently.. so use the best drivers on the market and make uncompromising xover..
I agree with this posting. I learned the hard way that you really don't want to take the TC9 below about 500HZ, unless you're talking about very close field computer speakers or line arrays. You need more cone surface area below 500HZ, not just to minimize distortion but to give better projection at a distance. SPL drops off faster with a point source, with distance, than with a source that has more radiating area. Otherwise you end up with a cold sound, even when active EQ made it flat at 3 feet.

The speaker system I built that took these down to 150HZ, taught me this lesson. I eventually disassembled it, and built a different system with the TC9 doing everything above 500HZ (8 inch woofer below), and I really like it.

Last edited:
Hi xrk971,
Could you recommend a design for a small fullrange bookshelf speakers (2.5-4 ltrs each) for desktop PC stereo application using a single driver vifa-tc9fd-18-08? baffle dimensions and BSC filter (if necessary) would be nice. I can make a simulation in Boxsim, but since you have measured extensively and used these beauties in all sort of cabinets and designs, that is why I am looking for a little advice from you. I dont require true Hi-Fi nor very loud listening. Something to listen to while working on pc.
reg
Prasi

Namaste Parsi,
I think this project will work great if you us a pc. It implements a software (Equalizer Apo) instead of a filter network.

Regards
Daniel

namaste, :) Thank you very much for the link. I saw the link, I go through it at home. (Google Translator in chrome in office is not working. )

Danke and Guten Tag!
Prasi
(I picked up some german in VW wolfsberg :D)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.