• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Variable Harmonizer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is a special Electric Guitar Variable Harmonizer. I did not try it, though...

Attachments

• SHRED-4.gif
    SHRED-4.gif
    111.8 KB · Views: 334
Sounds like something Count Dracula would say.

- keantoken

Isn't that called General Motors......Never mind I didn't say that......Knock Knock......Click.......Bang......

That does sound like a knob found on a heavy metal guitar amp.

Does anybody remember the Aphex Aural Exciter? No it is not a sex toy.

I didn't know it until I just Googled, but the exciter is still being made. Now the Aural Exciter comes with "Big Bottom" for even more excitement! This gizmo came out in the 70's and was marketed as a cure for the blandness of modern solid state sound. I listened to one in the 70's at a local high end shop and it sounded quite nice, but cost far too much.

Ha Ha HA! :Dthis turning out to be a great thread!

Isn't that called General Motors... PFHHAHA!

Seriously I don't think people here know Wavebourn, nor his true intentions, which were in the best... He's a well-respected member of another online community and he isn't trying to convince people that this device will immediately be the answer to ultimate tube sound that will replace all Mcintosh and Conrad-Johnson , etc amplifiers...
It's just a cool idea that he suggested people try out. And I am guessing he directed it more to the musical/recording community.

cheers,

gain-wire

Seriously I don't think people here know Wavebourn, nor his true intentions, which were in the best... He's a well-respected member of another online community and he isn't trying to convince people that this device will immediately be the answer to ultimate tube sound that will replace all Mcintosh and Conrad-Johnson , etc amplifiers...
It's just a cool idea that he suggested people try out. And I am guessing he directed it more to the musical/recording community.

You are right. :D
I was mostly thinking of that community, in which almost every month some member ask which tubes are better sounding. :D

Oh, definitley time to get it out...

Hey what model is it?

I forgot, long time ago! :cool:

Last edited:
Hey, I'm absolutely new to this magical tube world :) I thought it would be realy nice to bring some tube sound for guitar. Have a few questions here:

R6 and R5 nominals are ohm's or kohm's?

How high is the output from this "harmonizer", can I plug it directly into guitar amp or it will fry out?

And I guess C1 and C4 are uF?

Above all that I'm quite scared when I'm thinking about playing with 200V voltage :)

Unless it says 'K', it's ohms, not kiloohms.

C1 and C4 are in uF (= 100 nF or slightly larger), foil.

Output is significantly larger than the input so you would be well advised to put an attenuator (a potentiometer or fixed divider) behind it. I don't think hooking this directly to your amplifier's input would be a very good idea, I'd want better output isolation than just a single capacitor (in case of its failure you will get better portion of 200V at the output). An interstage transformer would be great, though cathode follower would be my choice due to avaliability.

No need for cathode follower, no need for transformer: guitar amps have high input resistance. The interstage capacitor is an interstage capacitor, all tube amps have them. In case of failure it will be shorted by diode on the ground, so no more than 0.4-0.7V will be there.

Hoverer, some 100K - 1 MOhm trim pot on output would be nice to bring gain down to desired value.

Let me see if I get it?

You want to invoke huge voltage gain and
second harmonic of a CCS loaded pentode?
Some of that second harmonic canceled in
SRPP, probably not enough to be significant.

And the fight between two current sources
of high impedance refereed by rectifying
the output and feeding back the DC bias?
Abusing pentode nonlinearity for AGC?

What else is going on here? I see 115V
regulated screen and floating heater...

Did I miss anything?

The attack of the pick might be a little
loud, before AGC sets to equilibrium for
the sustain???

Did you choose a remote cutoff type?
I havn't download the spec sheet yet...

Last edited:
Hi,

I notice 2 thinks to enhance harmonics:
- Rk (Cathode current) adjustment/dial
- Parallel triode with second volume adjustment (to make differential of amplitudo/volume amplification, using R accross plate to make different)

How is actually the effect of:

- Low current (high Rk) vs High current (low Rk), does high current mean lower even harmonics or lower odd harmonics or both, or by the opposite, increase harmonics?

- Using double triode (paralel but with slightly different volume/amplification), does it add even harmonics more than odd one, or the opposite?

Thanks,

Ervin L

You can't add more even harmonics VS odd ones; you can add all of them only. Making transfer curve symmetrical you can force even harmonics cancel each other, but you can't cancel odd order harmonics such a way.

The tube in the last example is a remote cut-off pentode. It is especially made non-linear tube unlike ordinary "sharp cut-off" tubes, and the higher is voltage swing on it's anode, the more output sound is distorted. Varying cathode resistor's value you vary idle current adjusting amplification factor such a way.

However, when the string decay, voltage swing on anode is lower and lower, so less and less distortions are added by the stage.

The stage should simulate an overdriven preamp. Diode limiter simulates power stage overdrive, adding some negative voltage to the grid simulating such a way sag of guitar amp's power supply that causes some compression.

I did not breadboard it yet, it is just an idea. However, it have to be tweaked and adjusted in order to get some nice results.

So, why DIYers should not be experimenters, right? It is boring to copy again and again the same schematics... ;)

SS can be complimentary +-, tubes cannot....

Using complimentary SS, there is a way to cancel odd harmonics, despite that complimentary usually generates odds.

BTW, AFAIK both SS and tubes generate, without augmentation, a straight line of decreasing harmonics. So in fact both tubes and SS generate a dominant 2nd harmonic. SS gives less power per input push, so we must drive it harder, which produces more high-order harmonics, but it is still a decreasing line, next harmonic lower than the previous, until you add another device such that their transfer curves fight, or you run into clipping.

- keantoken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.