• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Variable Harmonizer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• SHRED-2.gif
    SHRED-2.gif
    141.4 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
Anatoliy,

I love it. Your very own Warp Drive Consciousness Expander, groovy!!

You have identified why so many people love tubes..... it's not distortion at all, it's harmonic augmentation!!

At least, each individual member of that society "So Many People Love Tubes" can now experiment with this device and find for himself / herself if additional "tube" distortions is what they love, or not.

I have my own opinion that is different from yours, Hugh!

I already know I don't love tubes because of their distortion. When I reduced the plate supply voltage of my tube preamp from 375Vdc to ~325Vdc due to a change in power transformers, I could hear an increase in distortion (slight decrease in neutrality) with an output of only a few volts rms and I preferred the lower distortion (higher plate voltage) version.

Last edited:
I already know I don't love tubes because of their distortion. When I reduced the plate supply voltage of my tube preamp from 375Vdc to ~325Vdc due to a change in power transformers, I could hear an increase in distortion (slight decrease in neutrality) with an output of only a few volts rms and I preferred the lower distortion (higher plate voltage) version.

I am with you.

I have my own opinion that is different from yours, Hugh!

Actually, I don't care either way - I don't take an ideological stand on this. In the scheme of things, it's not important and will not usher in world peace....

I care only about what the customer wants, and I watch the market carefully and try to offer choices.

A very clever circuit, hats off, Anatoliy......

Hugh

No, I think Wavebourn is correct. A potentiometer was originally a device for measuring potential via a bridge circuit. It wasn't a small round thing with a 1/4 inch shaft, but a rather large wirewound resistor with a linear movable contact. I remember using one at school in the physics lab. Or it was just a long piece of resistance wire stretched along a piece of wood with a ruler alongside it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.