Valve Itch phono

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Salas changed all the resistors according Rev1.2, to measure 1mA across 6N2P-EV is voltage across R3 or R2? to measure 6mA across 6SN7 is voltage across R11 or R10? It's correct to use only one R13 for both GND outputs?

Attachments

• Valve Itch version 1.2 components used.png
    Valve Itch version 1.2 components used.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 206
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas changed all the resistors according Rev1.2, to measure 1mA across 6N2P-EV is voltage across R3 or R2? to measure 6mA across 6SN7 is voltage across R11 or R10? It's correct to use only one R13 for both GND outputs?
Across R2 and R10 is better because easier for DMM scale. Those 1mA & 6mA are approximate. Ball park indications. Use only individual R13s for each channel output. 1 Meg is good too. Those are to keep the output coupling capacitors always referred to ground. Some don't use any but using is better for pops when connecting / disconnecting RCAs.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
"Curve is +/- 0.2dB 100Hz-15kHz including the SUT aberrations" I had wrote back then. Means the curve was checked for V1.2 plus it sounded good on HF too. But this was through MC with Dynavector SUT + my bench gear accuracy + my Hi-Fi system subjectives as comprised at the time. If you feel in your Hi-Fi with your Shure MM directly connected it needs little more bright or dull change the value a little.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks Salas, sure I will post pic with ebony body.

What's the best MM SQ you know?

From old years it was Stanton 881S that I had & Shure IV that a friend had but lasting impression was a Technics EPC-100 that I had listened once at a record collector's house when I was 18 yrs.

From new years Ortofon 2M Black AT 150MLX Nagaoka MP500

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks to share your impressions Salas, there is no original Shure replacement for VN35E, there is general consensus the Jico SAS is the best (boron cantilever & octahedron) but at $300 the needle, also Jico made shibata & hiper elliptical. I doubt to get a replacement between the shibata and the hiper elliptical I know on papers shibata is better but I didn't compared, what do you think?

BTW VTA of this beast is very low 15º