Valve Itch phono

Thanks stajo & Salas, about cart repair wich one do you repair first Denon or Linn?

Felipe, check the repair cost and the alternatives regarding new cartridge.
When i had my Shelter 901 suspension going bad, I checked the repair cost and it was not much difference from a new one. So i bought an Audio Technica ART-9 with a lit bit more cost and also got much much better sound.
If it was me, instead of repairing two cartridges I would get a new better one.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Felipe, check the repair cost and the alternatives regarding new cartridge.
When i had my Shelter 901 suspension going bad, I checked the repair cost and it was not much difference from a new one. So i bought an Audio Technica ART-9 with a lit bit more cost and also got much much better sound.
If it was me, instead of repairing two cartridges I would get a new better one.

Thanks for the advice George.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Having traced such in detail in the past I would rather say 1.5mA is the base. Depends on the tracer and the samples also. Injecting extra current to the diode etc. has to be judged as an extra current noise vs signal swing vs delta Ohm result. Obviously needed in a line stage, more of a trade off in a phono input stage.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Having traced such in detail in the past I would rather say 1.5mA is the base. Depends on the tracer and the samples also. Injecting extra current to the diode etc. has to be judged as an extra current noise vs signal swing vs delta Ohm result. Obviously needed in a line stage, more of a trade off in a phono input stage.

The results for the rectifying diodes was a bit of a surprice to me tho, they look far worse regarding linearity in their datasheets at low currents

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Red is 1N4007 brown is 1N4148. Resolution is 50 plot points per Volt.

Attachments

• 2015-05-05_201429.png
    2015-05-05_201429.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 220