Valve Itch phono

Attachments

• mm.jpg
    mm.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
I was planning to do some grid current investigation after I have measured up my batch of 6N2P's. Will take a pair of low current tubes and a pair of high current and see where gc starts and where it differs between tube samples. I guess mine are from a small number of batches but it might get us an idea of things.

In the meen time Merlin, I suggest one that looks linear in small currents but goes a bit over 1 v at that current. Maybe near where your dual diodes takes you now.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas. If one finds out that it is hard to get reliable linearity in the 1 mA area. What is your opinion on empowering that with a ca 100 k from B+. Is that going to add trouble/noice?
It could, depends on how quiet the rail is. Its a practical matter to test. But look in page 3 IF/VF (fig. 4) for this example VISHAY part that was in Merlin's RS link: http://www.vishay.com/docs/81010/tsal6200.pdf
It looks like not demanding more current to go straight curve, what do you think?

page 3 IF/VF (fig. 4) for this example VISHAY part that was in Merlin's RS link: http://www.vishay.com/docs/81010/tsal6200.pdf
It looks like not demanding more current to go straight curve, what do you think?
I think they just draw the line down because there is a current where the diode simply wont turn on. And they dont show that. After that comes either an unlinear or unexpectable zone.

Though. The 5-6 different samples I tested last showed at least a decent narrow spread between samples. But i didnt do linearity tests

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If its a line stage and has to swing mA there will be a significant delta Ohm if biased low. That is why its not optimal if not boosted. But see, Merlin does not have an obvious problem even with 1N4148s for now which are much worse for delta Ohm. So the delta problem is not challenged enough in this application. ;)