urban fidelity ? 8" on 13" wide dipole !!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

HOME

Urban Fidelity Speakers by Josh Ray — Kickstarter

SonicFlare - Hi-Fi reviews, audio events, show coverage, photos and more

big whizzer, fat surround, cast frame, hefty driver, you pick the print on it.

Interesting. Made in Los Angeles. 41" tall, 13" wide. and some snazzy artwork. He was a reviewer, now trying to make a go at some speakers. I like it.
I assume and hope those are floppy qts drivers.............

oh, I'm not an owner, nor do I own the company, etc, etc.

Norman

Last edited:
At first glance I though that was the Beyma 8AG/N, but it's something else, any idea?

They certainly do look quite hip and seem to be marketed in a "lifestyle" kind of way, thus an aprehension towards a performance compromise.

Here's their baffle plugged in Edge:

Urban-fi.jpg

IG

Last edited:
from the "Kickstarter" site:

Air Flow Driver. Urban Fidelity™ speakers are truly unique in the world of audio - and not just in aesthetics. Our Air Flow Driver is designed to work in the open air without the constraints of a pressboard box. By sending sound both forward and backward, the speaker mimics live music, creating an incredibly lifelike presentation and huge soundstage.
while personally not a fan of OB / dipole planars that I've yet heard (or more precisely stated not having had the freedom to dedicate a room and treatment required for such in over 40 years in this hobby), there's not doubt that for some folks, they are the answer - and that with EQ, appropriate number of drivers, power etc, the claimed performance is possible ( eg. Emerald Physics)

however, to declare that a single unaided 8" dual cone driver can achieve such , or is "truly unique", is stretching credulity a bit - and good luck on the pending patent

and art is certainly in the eye of the beholder - I'd far rather have my speakers either disappear, or at least embody more quiet elegance than shown here

In my practical experience, simulations can only give you some suggestion of a problem, and should not be interpreted as actual "data"
especially with Edge in "dipol mode"
I my self, should in my OB, according to Edge have a severe peak around 600 hz, but there is none in reality... in my room.
It's really "only" maths in a perfect world with all variables known. In reality there is no such thing.
Other things like room integration will play major role.

here is a 5.5" (in green) on an 18" wide baffle. Measured response has the dip and Feq hump not based on the center of the baffle, but cone front frame edge to rear cone frame edge if you knock out the math. The number do line up.

jamo9073driversresponse.jpg

from here
Jamo Reference R 907 loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

anechoic response at 50" still shows big dip at 1.1khz.

That 8" on the 13" wide would have the Feq hump way higher than on the edge simulation.

Norman

When the guy hardly talks about the sound but focuses on environmental friendliness and art work, then you know it is time to look else where
Well, it's time for us to look elsewhere, but we're hardly within the market targeted. I'm sure our opinions won't cause Josh to lose any sleep.

Hipster fodder. I wouldn't buy any but I like them anyway.Vive la difference!

I'm sure the business will do well. Wish I thought of it first.
Exactly.

And precisely. So many ideas I've discarded over the years because of my OCD perfectionism have ended up making others rich. :(

What confuses me, is, I thought you couldn't use Kickstart to start a business?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.