urban fidelity ? 8" on 13" wide dipole !!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If the designer wanted to improve their performance somewhat, how about adding some slot loaded woofers? (I'm sure there's a thread about OB slot loading somewhere)

The interference with the art on the baffle would be minimal, and with the addition of a couple of crossover components, decent performance could be had.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Only good idea about it, its something different and eye catching

Certainly not a new idea thou.

6383399675_beccd1ea26_z.jpg

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/199849-frugel-horn-mk3-picture-gallery-3.html#post2791139

dave

$ 200 for a pair of AN8CF
$ 40 for the pieces of wood
$ 20 for a high quality print of your choice

?

That leaves a $160 for profit, minus labour and overhead and supplies(glue, screws...etc) and tool wear. That is not much for a business, much less than the mean. I wonder what the profit margin on a polo t-shirt is?.

Yes, we all could do better, we're all smarter and better looking :D...but guys, where is your awesome speaker business? :p

Yes, we all could do better, we're all smarter and better looking :D

only due to our macular degeneration or presbyopia - 'cause self deception sure as frack isn't part of the calculus ;)

...but guys, where is your awesome speaker business? :p
yahtzee!

it's much easier for a DIYer to make an awesome sounding speaker /amp/DAC/interconnect - whatever - but trying to make a business / living from same - different story

I'll be first in line for a signed copy of Melo's "My secret to success in the audio business", but should probably pack a lunch and a folding chair, 'cause it might be a wait, and my knees aren't what they used to be

only due to our macular degeneration or presbyopia - 'cause self deception sure as frack isn't part of the calculus ;)

yahtzee!

it's much easier for a DIYer to make an awesome sounding speaker /amp/DAC/interconnect - whatever - but trying to make a business / living from same - different story

I'll be first in line for a signed copy of Melo's "My secret to success in the audio business", but should probably pack a lunch and a folding chair, 'cause it might be a wait, and my knees aren't what they used to be

You are defending a point that I am not making.
I'm not referring to ( what it takes to start a business ) in my comments, I'm merely disappointed in the lack of effort and carelessness in the product itself.
I think we can agree that we, as DIY'ers, put a lot of effort into the speakers we build. It is our responsibility to call out a bogus product when we see one.
This way if someone is googling a product, and come across one of our threads, they can read the opinions of experienced designers and builders. Not just some review site. Because as far as I can see, one reviewer turned speaker designer, has done a shotty job of it.

I wonder if the seller has actually listened to these before putting them on-sale...

I don't want to come off as a know it all DIY snob, I want this product to succeed, I really do. I think it would be great to get the general public into the glorious sound of single driver open baffles at a great price.

Having said that, I cannot tolerate uncaring and or ignorant Speaker design.
Especially, if said design can be improved without much effort or additional cost. Like the ones that were stated previously.

I really wish manufacturers would read our threads, because the common consumer certainly does. If I were in the market for a product, I google it, then I read forums, where else can I get an honest assessment? Reviewers?

Guys, while this is obviously not an outright assault on the high end, I think a basic point is being missed: it's not meant to be. This is clearly being pitched to appeal to yonkers with iPods who probably haven't heard a half-decent speaker before. Chances are it's going to be better than most that they've encountered to date, even though it's hardly the last word in speaker design. We live in an age where the way people listen to music is changing. Many teenagers and people in their twenties do not regularly sit down & listen to an album any more; it's all bits taken from a variety of artists and albums. If something like this can get a few more people interested in both music and quality sound reproduction over the long-term (and it probably will) then I'm all for it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.