urban fidelity ? 8" on 13" wide dipole !!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
*somebody* got their hands on the drivers...

Link to some current banter about the Urban Fidelity speaker. Pretty sure it is a hodge podge of Goldwood in-house parts.

Urban Fidelity (Page 1) / FullRangeDriver Forum / Fullrangedriver Forum

Did you ever get these built Legit ?

.......................Blake

Old thread, but I stumbled across this ebay listing today: Brand New 8" Custom Full Range Drivers Goldwood GW 8003 | eBay

As far as I can see from the photos, his description, these are the motor, cone and surround from the GW8003 transplanted onto a cast basket from another GW 8in driver slightly up their food chain. I don't see the cast basket changing the TS parameters in any way, least of all the pathetic 2mm of Xmax.

I've been fooling around with 8in open baffles for a while, was disappointed with THREE MCM 55-1240's on each side, driven by a separate amp fed by an active XO, augmenting a single 8in FR driver. The 55-1240 are excursion limited at about 8W each with their less pathetic 5mm Xmax. With only 2mm of Xmax, I don't see these doing anything useful with any more power than that, despite their claimed power handing. Without a subwoofer, (which needs to be open baffle for a proper smile,) this arrangement seems a guaranteed frown maker for the initiated DIY crowd.

That said, 1 Dukane FR 8in + EIGHT MCM 55-1240's per side + a pair of Linaeum's on each side makes my hair stand on end, but requires tri-amping.

Rather than giving a poor opinion of open baffle speakers to the uninitiated, this product may still crate the proper jones for a *better* open baffle speaker with proper bass. Listening to something worse than this (said dukane with NO bass help... nothing beneath 100hz) certainly had that effect on me.

Eric.

Caver Amazing speakers and Gilmore both use some floppy qts 12's (Qts=2 for carver, not sure on Gilmore). And those basically have a crossover crossing low-passing around 40hz just to counteract the roll-off of the baffle, measuring semi flat up to a couple of hundred hz).

But 4 x 12" per side seems to be a good start for open baffle (then full ranges crossed maybe 150-200hz). 8 x 8" can move the air of 4x12's but in reallity usually don't. The 12's (usually) have a lower Fs, possibly lower qts, and usually much more xmax working better for open baffle purposes, working better pumping air.

I've always wanted to try one using 4 push pull 12's as woofs and an audio nirvana an8 above them.

I know my full range 12" on a phy open baffle (16" center and 24" deep wings) had no bass to speak of. I figure there was a dip at 280hz, a peak at 140hz then rolling hard and fast below that. Melonhead's measurements back this up too.

But those urban fidelity would look nice and sound better than an Ipod with their junky little speakers.

Last edited:
Caver Amazing speakers and Gilmore both use some floppy qts 12's (Qts=2 for carver, not sure on Gilmore). And those basically have a crossover crossing low-passing around 40hz just to counteract the roll-off of the baffle, measuring semi flat up to a couple of hundred hz).

Actually, closer to 3.5 Qts IIRC based on a long discussion on the late basslist of OB design in general and Carver + ??? brand DIY ribbons in particular complete with measurements done suspended [4pi space] in a basketball? stadium. If there's still an archive and it's searchable, then there's a wealth of knowledge posted.

Don't recall being exposed to Gilmore, but from just looking at their website they look like Carver's system on a single baffle, so anyone know if they are?

Carver measurements: Carver Amazing Loudspeaker (Platinum Edition) Measurements | Stereophile.com

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.