Upgrading the Benchmark DAC 1?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
re. polarity, surely this is the same thing as absolute phase, but much easier to simply invert the RCA or XLR out on the source and leave as is at the DAC1, rather than modify internals, at least you can quickly A/B any differences that way

you will tend to find that the polarity may sound good for one recording and dead and flat on another, i cant make my mind up! and am hot swapping them all the time ;)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Quaddy said:
re. polarity, surely this is the same thing as absolute phase, but much easier to simply invert the RCA or XLR out on the source and leave as is at the DAC1, rather than modify internals, at least you can quickly A/B any differences that way

you will tend to find that the polarity may sound good for one recording and dead and flat on another, i cant make my mind up! and am hot swapping them all the time ;)

Don't get confused by the term 'polarity' that Kuro used. He simply means the capacitor's outer foil best electrical orientation. Another thing all together. A capacitor subtlety.

Hello,

I have a Benchmark DAC1 ( the model without USB ) . After having read some forum topics i have decided to install additional capacitors to the main caps to enhance the bass control. I added 2 x 35V / 4700 uF just between the two regulators ( 7818,7918 ). I think that they have burned within the last 2 weeks and the result is more than i expected. Now the total capacity is 11,400 uF ( instead of 2000 ) there is a significant improvement on details and bass control.

The caps are Daewoo which are not too good but it seems they are ok

Best Regards

Opamp change on Standard DAC1

Hello,

I have tried the new output opamps ( 2x LM4562's ) on standard Benchmark DAC1 and i can say that the result is not too good. It's clear that the original 5532's are better than these for this DAC.

So Benchmark DAC1 engineers are right changing the 5532 output opamps will make the sound worse.

Hello!

I recently took delivery of a DAC1 USB (manufactured 5/2009) and during my research discovered there was something of an aftermarket Mod Scene for the lil’ black box. “Neat!”

This thread in particular caught my attention and I must say it’s fascinating to me that it’s almost four yrs old.

First, a confession...

I’m not really the ‘Mod Squad’ type. I mean, I own a nice Weller but it mostly collects dust as I’m not exactly Zorro with a soldering iron. Plus, I lack the requisite gauge brass pair to void the warranty. So, I'll be farming out any possible upgrades. :sigh:

Back to the thread...

I’ve read most of it but understand less than that suggests. Early in the thread confidence was high on improving upon the sound of the DAC1 but toward the end not so much. I’ve read with interest the criticisms regarding the number and quality of some of the internal components but am know wondering if taken as a whole they actually do perform as well as can be expected for the price range and even above?

My impression is Benchmark is quite the sincere company, taking a very proactive approach to improving their products as technology allows vs. sitting on their collective duffs. Might the guts of my new DAC1 USB (other than the USB functionality) be improved upon from the earliest units? I’ve followed some of the links I discovered to certain ‘mod’ sites only to find nothing about the mods all these years later, suggesting they are no longer offered/performed. Can anything be done to my DAC1 to improve upon it w/o passing a point of diminishing returns, i.e. buy a 3x more costly DAC?

Thx for your time.

I also recently purchased a DAC1 but - the USB version. There is also an even newer version that includes a basic analogue preamp. The DAC1 USB includes upgraded op-amps (LM4562A) in the output stage for superior line drive capability but is otherwise identical to the DAC1. The DAC1 PRE has apparently been further overhauled such that all op-amps after the DAC are now LM4562A, as well as the preamp section.
Indeed, I have now also replaced the 2x I>V 5532's with LM4562 in my DAC1 USB and there was a significant improvement - to my ears. I felt that the unmodded DAC1 USB sounded a bit coloured in the HF and it also sounded a bit dynamically flat. The 4562's sound much nicer - although mine are still burning in, and they don't give me a signature in the treble like the 5532's did. In other words there is no longer a tell tale sound. I think this proves that it's better. The soundstage is also much wider and deeper. It now compares favourably with my also modded XDACv3 but I'm sure it has the potential for much higher performance still with a few upgrades to the PSU caps.

More Improvements

Benchmark DAC1 no doubt is a good selection . Try to increase the power caps , Make it at least 10,000 uF , you will see the difference .

By the way what is the LM4562 + - voltages ? I don't think it is +-18V . Because this is the limit for 4562 . I think my upgrade from 5532 to 4562 failed for this reason.

Re: More Improvements

rehad said:
Benchmark DAC1 no doubt is a good selection . Try to increase the power caps , Make it at least 10,000 uF , you will see the difference .

By the way what is the LM4562 + - voltages ? I don't think it is +-18V . Because this is the limit for 4562 . I think my upgrade from 5532 to 4562 failed for this reason.

Possibly. Have you checked the rail voltage at the IC ?
I think the rails are fed via diodes which will drop 0.6V but I will recheck tonight. FWIW mine is still working fine after several days but I intend to change the 7818 / 7918 to LM317 / 337 for 17V rails.

This is interesting.
I have just confirmed that my DAC1 USB analogue stage rails are all common and +/- 18V straight out of the regulators. The output buffer LM4562 is also connected to the same rails so it's actually operating beyond its ratings, and this is not modified. I'm not sure I like this so I will definitely be modding the regulators and setting the rails at a little below 17.

Salas said:
You can use a couple of diodes locally on the 4562's for that. If there are remaining 5532s that use the +/- 18V.

Yes I could do that but the board layout is tight and now that I've changed the I>V's I might as well go the whole hog and replace the lot.
The designers obviously forgot about voltage ratings when they added the USB + 4562 upgrade. Even though mine works fine the long term reliability could be compromised, particularly if one of the 7818 / 7918's is more than 0.5V above spec which is not uncommon.

BrianDonegan said:
Why not just use the LME49860, as it has 22V max rails?

Yes but I like the way the 4562's sound - or don't sound, and I have lots.

Salas said:
Hello all and merry Christmas!

I had an interesting session the other day with a couple of friends (one is a piano player and excellent loudspeaker engineer, the other is the most famous Greek audio press scribe). We were evaluating CD playes and dacs using 2 very high resolution speakers and a wee full range bipole. One is a 2 box 3 way with PHLs and Fountek, other is a 2 way standmount with PHL and Audax, third is Salas TB3 revisited (you can search this forum about TB3 rev.). We had Unison Research moded Unico tubed CDP, Benchmark DAC 1, Deltec vintage hot rodded, Copland 288, Theta Gen V8, Creek Destiny.
Well, we came to the conclusion that CD replay is still a flawed case compared to a turntable (but we cant bear the fact that only 10% of an LP collection can prove this, until it will eventually worn out, so its practically an elite afair) and its replay (CD) did not come such a long way in 20 yrs. Tarted up yes but not fundamentally evolved.
Apart from the above blanket conclusion it was interesting to realise that each manufacturer was trying to present a credible rendering of music, doing his tone hocus pocus. The Benchmark had top resolution but was thin. Theta had the resolution and the guts (but at $$$$), Unison emphasised midrange musicality, Creek was treading a fine line between excess and restrain (overall the safest bet, also the best transport bar the expensive Theta). Copland was resolute enough but grandiose. Funny how the DPA little bit of 15 years old tech was still giving a valid point of view!
I ended up with the notion that I could buy the Benchmark if -and only if- I could flesh out its tone. To get a Theta is out of the question, I am not well off.
I thought of what is making it sound thin...this tone I have heard before...and then it dawned on me! Sounds like 5532! Ok I opened it up...11 NE5532's! silicon bridge rectifiers, smd coupling caps...
Gentlemen! your attention please! Suggestions are in order. Remember, there must be a double opamp thats unity stable and not a rare species with touchy behaviour for throwing out the 5532 among other hot rod suggestions.

P.S. The DPA little bit has 2604 smd, can a resistor from out to V+ or V- help it ? Had good results with 627 doing this once. If yes where is better with this chip? V+ or V-? ...Carlos FM?

See a picture of the benchmark with lid off :
Gentlemen, tweaks are interesting , I done maybe hunderds of them myself, changes in sound exist but real problem of every product is in it´s basic concept, layout and implentation of used parts. That can´t be changed by tweaker and limits that product. Sometimes tweaker find himself on margine where will be cheaper and simpler to do whole thing from the start.

Chaging the OP-amps will not solve the problems and can couse new problems.

I heard premium sounding equipment that use NE5532 in analog stage, and poor sounding with "audiophile" OPs used. Every OP sounds the way is implemented.

In digital equipment main problem lies in digital sections and too complicated analog sections with poor designed PCB, power suplies and used components around OP-s(ceramic SMD caps used in ps rails and compesation point).

High speed OPs like AD827 even slower OPA2604 implemented on circuit board with traces and circuitry that isn´t designed for high speed OP can couse meny negative responses of newly changed (better specs) OP.

This is not mystification, just not that obvious truth.

Benchmark DAC have it´s own limitations from the moment that design was put from circut and PCB design softweare to production, and limits are not represented by use of NE5532 OPs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.