Unconventional Techniques for Achieving Oustanding Stereo Imaging

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fine !

Now i think a diyable setup is highly welcome ;) .

do you understand the meaning of the term DIY? Or by diyable You just mean cloneable?

I don't think that You are a cloning type of diyer, so please don't dress up as a cloner, be fair and do it Yourself :)

of course You can clone my basic Fostex-flooder or even tinitus' zazen setup, all the data You need have been already posted here many times but I think that You can easily make something much better than that if You try :)

in case of a flooder as wide as possible, as to side-firing thing Elias is better expert

If you state that dispersion as wide as possible is advantageous with
a ceiling flooder and "beveridge placement" is the way to even statisfy
RFZ believers, we would have to design a speaker which resembles an
omni source, which can be placed in the edge of a room.

That omni source would then radiate into a quarter space.
Is this how to imagine a prototypical (and ideal) design ?

Some - even raw - sketches for implementation would be nice,
whoever does them ...

All current approaches cause significant early reflections, an
"RFZ flooder" version would have to avoid those consequently.

Last edited:
I'm not sure a Beveridge layout is the panacea some think. You might be able to get a long reflection free zone but only if you have just the right room shape. You need a long narrow room with big distance to the back wall. Without the depth the back wall reflection will be strong and only slightly attenuated by the extra distance. A major diadvantage is that you are forcing a low direct to reflected ratio by aiming so much energy away from the listener. The reflection free period is not the only issue.

You will make floor and ceiling issues go away if your line is long enough. The mounting walls will only go away (but not the opposite walls) if the speakers are smoothly integrated into the wall surface (not the case for the Beveridge models). You also need optimal response at a 45 degree angle if you want the direct response to be decent.

Some tall design orders. Has anybody actually achieved them?

David S.

we would have to design a speaker which resembles an

yes

Some - even raw - sketches for implementation would be nice,
whoever does them ...

but what exactly is that You don't understand or You that find difficult to visualize?

@graaf:

First proposal coming to my mind would be an L shaped enclosure,
placed in the room's edge.

Speaker has to be 2-way at least. 2 (small) LF drivers could be mounted
near the edge in either "bars" of the L. One driver on the "wall side" of
the "L" and one on the "floor side". (90 degrees "crossfiring" of you like ...)

The hole thing is not not too far from 90 degree "folded D'Appolito",
but with tweeter mounted beneath the line connecting the LF drivers (dustcaps),
to get them closer and the LF drivers "touching".

The sufficiently small tweeter is mounted directly into the edge facing 45
degrees upwards if the "L" is in place. Mounting as close to the LF
drivers as possble but also avoiding diffraction ...

Surrounding of the tweeter has to be nicely designed to avoid
diffraction, maybe absorbing material will be helpful.

Turning the tweeter slightly towards the listener may be allowed
to compensate for narrowing directivity at HF ...

Both bars of the L shaped cross section resemble flat
cabinets, where height and width are large compared to "thickness".
(To acoustically simulate flush mounting into the edge ...)

This way you can minimise diffraction at the cabinet's edges.

Cabinet walls facing the room may even form an angle slightly larger than
90 degrees or edges may be sufficiently chamfered or rounded.

Optionally the two flat chambers may be separated or partially
separated internally.

Last edited:
I'm not sure a Beveridge layout is the panacea some think. You might be able to get a long reflection free zone but only if you have just the right room shape. You need a long narrow room with big distance to the back wall. Without the depth the back wall reflection will be strong and only slightly attenuated by the extra distance.

not so much big distance, 10 ms is about 3.44 and this is from the speaker to the wall and from the wall to the listener, see the example given by Rudolf:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...y-pattern-stereo-speakers-31.html#post2694046

and this is for an extreme case of the listener just about the same 1.2 m from the stereo base, very close and rather unusual

A major diadvantage is that you are forcing a low direct to reflected ratio by aiming so much energy away from the listener

or major advantage perhaps? why disadvantage?

The mounting walls will only go away (but not the opposite walls) if the speakers are smoothly integrated into the wall surface (not the case for the Beveridge models).

can we just use broadband absorption integrated to the speaker enclosure on the wall side like Stig Carlsson did in some Carlsson/Sonab speakers?

You also need optimal response at a 45 degree angle if you want the direct response to be decent.

yes

@graaf:

First proposal coming to my mind

nice! inventive!
a bit Carlsson-style I would say and a bit like Gamper Martino too, but better

bild

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I think that it would be easier to separate low frequencies and to make just sattelite flooders as small as possible plus whatever subwoofer You like - stereo, mono, OB, line array, small multiple, slot loaded OB, whatever :)
plus I will just use broadband absoption panel on the adjacent wall, perhaps integrated into the enclosure itself, to mute the potentially problematic very first reflection <1 ms

Last edited:
It could be that for a shoebox shape rooms the beveridge like configurations are one of the bests.

Also I think regardless of the room shape, line array generally is beneficial to minimise floor & ceiling reflections without diminishing lateral reflections.

But why do you think of this as a disadvantage:

A major diadvantage is that you are forcing a low direct to reflected ratio by aiming so much energy away from the listener.

Haven't you been reading Toole, and all the benefits of lateral reflections lol :D

- Elias

I think that it would be easier to separate low frequencies and to make just sattelite flooders as small as possible plus whatever subwoofer You like -

Yes, that would be a nice option. Keeping it a simple as possible 2-way,
with small drivers that do not cause much problems in the midrange.

Reaching a lower frequency limit even somewhere around 60 Hz should be
possible, so any subwoofer arrangement would be an option
allowing for crossover below 100Hz.

But the satelllites could also be used "standalone", smooth LF rolloff
is desired (rather low Q CB design ?). Radiation in bass will be quite
efficient due to "edge loading".

Last edited:
Keeping it a simple as possible 2-way,
with small drivers that do not cause much problems in the midrange.

Reaching a lower frequency limit even somewhere around 60 Hz should be
possible, so any subwoofer arrangement would be an option
allowing for crossover below 100Hz.

yeah, exactly

But the satelllites could also be used "standalone", smooth LF rolloff
is desired (rather low Q CB design ?). Radiation in bass will be quite
efficient due to "edge loading".

yes, exactly therefore I chose Fostex for the first prototype
but it is certainly not small and has serious resonant problems in the mid-to-high range and is as beamy as expected
OTOH the resonances are manageable to an extent with asymmetric cone coating and this beaming perhaps has even some beneficial side-efects in such unusual configuration, as el'Ol measured in case of such fullrange flooder the ceiling reflection dominates and it is quite balanced for such a naughty kind of a driver at least ;)

A source in a corner produces more sparse early lateral reflection pattern than for example beveridge at the side wall, or stereolith type projector. The question is what is the optimal early reflection pattern ? Better is sparse, or dense? That is yet to discover.

- Elias

If you state that dispersion as wide as possible is advantageous with
a ceiling flooder and "beveridge placement" is the way to even statisfy
RFZ believers, we would have to design a speaker which resembles an

Is this how to imagine a prototypical (and ideal) design ?

... so please don't dress up as a cloner, be fair and do it Yourself :)

of course You can clone my basic Fostex-flooder or even tinitus' zazen setup, all the data You need have been already posted here many times but I think that You can easily make something much better than that if You try :)
Can't do a Beveridge clone in my rooms, since I neither have the free wall spaces neither a line array. But today I could do a "flooder" with two Canton Twin 700 drivers put against a free wall.
attachment.php

Since these are tiny coax drivers, their 0-90° radiation pattern is not too shabby. I placed them right into the floor/wall edge, pointing upward with a 2 m distance between them (about 1.5 m free to both next side walls) and sat myself in the stereo triangle.

My impressions? To put it politely: Not my cup of tea.

Mouthes much too wide. Nothing is as detailed as I can hear it with higher directivity systems. Bells, whistles and triangles are close to the floor. I raised the treble volume as much as possible, which raised those high frequency instruments a bit too and reproduced them a bit sharper.

On the positive side: Almost identical tonal appearance all over the room with no change of volume, if you stay at least 2 m away from the speakers. It works really nice as a background music system.

If above application does not qualify as a flooder, please explain what I have done wrong and how to get it better/right.

Rudolf

BTW: Things improve immediately, if I stand with my head to the wall in the middle of the baseline between the speakers.

So you like yourself to be cheated by the stereo triangle, to hear something (details) that weren't there in the first place (in real event)?

You may like the stereolith concept more than 'flooder', I also did. Next thing to do: put those boxes back to back in front, see more details in stereolith thread. Don't forget the pillow lol :D

- Elias

Many recordings recorded at the natural ambiance lack imaging details, which are supplied by ventriloquism (visual clues) when attending the real event. I hate to keep my eyes shut when listening to an orchestra in real life.

If this approach of sound projecting can't deliver the details, which supporting mikes add to the recording, it is useless for me.

Of course this gets us back to the essence of "what pattern" and also "why aren't omni speakers more popular". As you decrease the direct to reflected ratio you can make the speakers disappear and the sound to come from all over but you will lose any image precision. Some of us like solo instruments to come from a point in space rather than from all over.

You should try the stereolith style concept, just to surprise yourself that the sound is not coming from "all over".

I interpret Toole as advocating plenty of later lateral reflections, but not uncontrolled omni radiation. The speakers that do best in his listening tests are normal pattern, rising directivity 2 and 3 ways systems, aimed at the listening area.

I guess he hasn't discovered pillows in front of the tweeter yet?

David

I'm not advocating uncontrolled omni either.

You know why "The speakers that do best in his listening tests are normal pattern, rising directivity 2 and 3 ways systems, aimed at the listening area." ? Because all the speakers he uses in his tests described in his book are normal pattern, rising directivity 2 and 3 ways systems, aimed at the listening area !
There is one different speaker in the group, dipole Quad ELS63.

Quite limited choices.

He did not test any concepts like stereolith, 'flooder', beveridge etc etc.. Still people are drawing extreme conclusions from this data set.

- Elias

Canton Twin 700 drivers put against a free wall.

the glass wall?

Since these are tiny coax drivers, their 0-90° radiation pattern is not too shabby.

anyway, these are hardly HiFi speakers

I placed them right into the floor/wall edge, pointing upward with a 2 m distance between them (about 1.5 m free to both next side walls) and sat myself in the stereo triangle.

My impressions? To put it politely: Not my cup of tea.

against back wall and 1.5 m from side walls?
tu put is short: this is not a flooder in Beveridge placement, isn't it obvious?

If above application does not qualify as a flooder, please explain what I have done wrong and how to get it better/right.
Rudolf

this is a kind of flooder-like thing but with low-fi Cantons, apparently unsuitable for the purpose
plus suboptimal positioning
furthermore:
@graaf: My room is not acoustically treated - just carpet on the floor. Front wall behind speakers is glass - completely.

just the carpet, isn't it too live?

Some of us like solo instruments to come from a point in space rather than from all over.

You should try the stereolith style concept, just to surprise yourself that the sound is not coming from "all over".

yeah!

Hey Dave! can't You see that You just keep writing that we (Elias, tinitus and others including me) are hallucinating loonies?
because this is what You do by suggesting that we delight in imaging of solo instruments from all over

either this or worse - You keep calling us liars because we wrote here many times that imaging is specific and precise

and it is, this is what I can hear and I am honest - so please don't call me liar or loony, ok? OK?

@Rudolf

it seems that You must have a bad luck with those experiments, this is what You posted after some stereolitic test:

So I finally tried it myself. I put two small fullrange boxes along the wall - back to back and at ear height. Symmetry along that wall (and around the corners) is almost perfect. What did I hear:

A center "image" that for the most part compressed the central 45° of my normal listening "window" into a ~10° wide spot. Everything outside seemed stretched between the inner circle and the corners. Anything with very high frequency content would have a phantom image right in the corners.
While sounds emanating left from the middle still could be localized on the left side, precision of imaging was a far cry from what I am used to.

Remarkable were the spectral uniformity of the sound almost everywhere in the room and how the speakers generated a "wall of sound" with every music that was more than one voice or instrument wide. I can see applications of this principle in situations, where you want music distributed evenly and undisturbingly over the whole place.

But in the end I would prefer omnis for that kind of experience. At least they improved in imaging when I moved near to their baseline. Sitting just in front of my "SLS" setup didn´t work at all.

Markus comment <<Localization is gone. There's only "left space" or "right space" and a lot of "around the center">> sums it up pretty well IMHO.

Just my individual impressions with an admittedly frugal setup.

Rudolf

it looks really strange when one contrasts this with Elias', ScottG's or Radugazon's (and others', not to mention mine) impressions on our respective stereolitc experiments

it is interesting to note though that Elias was not initially impressed with His first stereolitic tests either

You know why "The speakers that do best in his listening tests are normal pattern, rising directivity 2 and 3 ways systems, aimed at the listening area." ? Because all the speakers he uses in his tests described in his book are normal pattern, rising directivity 2 and 3 ways systems, aimed at the listening area !

There is one different speaker in the group, dipole Quad ELS63.

Quite limited choices.

He did not test any concepts like stereolith, 'flooder', beveridge etc etc.. Still people are drawing extreme conclusions from this data set.

- Elias

I am certain that he has been exposed to every type of speaker imaginable over time. If you dig through his writings you will find some "alternative" design types, but generally so that he can show how badly designed exotic speakers can be. The ESL 63 is not the only ESL, for example.

Still, if you are constantly evaluating speaker groups and the winner of the last competition was a conventional directivity system of good measurable performance, you can see the disincentive of putting another oddball speaker into the next group test. "We didn't like the omni speaker last time but lets try another one."

I wouldn't assume that, because you don't see him writing much about oddball dispersion speakers, that he has somehow overlooked some potentially marvelous example in his 30+ years of research.

David S.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.