Unconventional Techniques for Achieving Oustanding Stereo Imaging

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
in fact, if You are a RFZ-believer and You have room size constraints making this >6 ms impossible to obtain, then a flooder in Beveridge placement is really the way to go for You

with a flooder in Beveridge placement You can have all early reflections delayed more than 6 ms easily
Sorry but you'll have to be a bit more specific and less acronym laden in your posts for me to understand you. ;)

"RFZ believer" ?

"flooder in beveridge placement ?"

Neither means anything to me.

I think you can deal with the early reflections without much effect to the direct to reflected ratio. Killing the first 3 bounces with aborption wouldn't pull that much out of the power response of the system (the aspect that feeds the reverberent field) and certainly putting diffusors at the bounce positions would have no impact at all. (Diffusors reduce the specular reflection by about 10dB by scattering the reflected energy to more angles.)

yes, and a flooder in Beveridge placement does it, it only needs killing/diffusing of the very first reflection off the adjacent wall
absorbed/diffusor can be placed just on the wall next to the flooder or can even be integrated as part of it's enclosure

Sorry but you'll have to be a bit more specific and less acronym laden in your posts for me to understand you. ;)

"RFZ believer" ?

"flooder in beveridge placement ?"

Neither means anything to me.

RFZ believer is a person who believes that for high fidelity sound reproduction at home a sort of early Reflection Free listening Zone is needed that is all early reflections <6 ms (other say <10 ms etc.) should be eliminated

flooder in Beveridge placement is a stereo setup that I have proposed in this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/121385-loudspeakers-room-system.html

it is very short up-firing speaker with no reflectors above, similar to some old Swedish Carlsson/Sonab speakers, placed in a room in a way recommended by late Harold Beveridge for His electrostatic speakers

ps.
it only needs killing/diffusing of the very first reflection off the adjacent wall
absorbed/diffusor can be placed just on the wall next to the flooder or can even be integrated as part of it's enclosure

in a small room of 3.5 x 5 m proportions the setup may look basically like this:

Attachments

• room.jpg
    room.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
yes, and a flooder in Beveridge placement does it, it only needs killing/diffusing of the very first reflection off the adjacent wall

If by "flooder" you mean essentially non-directional, then boundary mounting will make that first boundary disappear. So that will help with regard to the first boundary. The other issue though, is that you are forcing a low direct to reflected ratio. This may not be a good thing. Also, if you must damp the opposite wall then you don't have an optimum dispersion speaker, do you? You are forced to take corrective action. A bit like saying dipoles are perfect as long as you absorb the back wall bounce.

David S.

and Dr Toole says that comb filtering is a measurement artifact, not audible at all
so, who knows? ...without trying...

Toole says comb filtering is not audible at all?? A bit of a stretch, especially as he extensively discusses the audibility of various reflections (and the reflections must cause comb filtering). I think the takeaway from Toole is that a live room will wreck havoc on measured frequency response and room impulse response, but much of the later energy is a generally good thing.

Put me in the camp of "RFZ believers", but not to the extent of Don Davis and the early LEDE camp. If every modern study shows that early floor, ceiling and back wall bounces must lead to audible colorations at typical strengths, then I think the goal is to reduce their level. Early lateral reflections lead to a different problem of a "twangy bounce" (listen to the game environmental simulation a few pages back), and are equally undesirable. David Moulton is at odds with all modern research in advocating wide dispersion studio monitors in conjunction with narrow rooms with hard sidewalls.

David S.

If by "flooder" you mean essentially non-directional, then boundary mounting will make that first boundary disappear.

great! then no absorber is needed at all because I thought that there will be necessary to absorb exactly the reflection off this boundary next to speaker, at least such was suggestion I got from Dr Geddes

you are forcing a low direct to reflected ratio. This may not be a good thing.

yes, this is it and yes perhaps, it may not be good, but I really like what I can hear (and it is not only me - ask tinitus for example)

Also, if you must damp the opposite wall then you don't have an optimum dispersion speaker, do you?

misunderstanding - I assumed that it will be necessary to absorb the very early reflections/diffractions from the wall next to te flooder, not the opposite wall

Regarding the Beveredge approach, Yes, to the extent that the speaker is smoothly integrated into the wall the first boundary disappears. The opposite of how a PZM microphone works. But how do you make the leap that this is ideal? If the first reflection disappears, then great, but you have a system that is primarily aiming its energy at the opposite wall. Why is that good?

For Elias, no inventor to blame for stereo, but we can do research and find out if there are good and bad issues associated with the many conventions for stereo playback in the home. That many people have many oppinions on the subject does not mean that some of those oppinions aren't clearly wrong.

Stereo is an incomplete system in that it does not replicate a soundfield. If we can't bring Carnegie hall into our home are we still well served by letting the room play a role in adding reflections to the sound of the speakers?

David S.

Regarding the Beveredge approach, Yes, to the extent that the speaker is smoothly integrated into the wall the first boundary disappears. The opposite of how a PZM microphone works. But how do you make the leap that this is ideal? If the first reflection disappears, then great, but you have a system that is primarily aiming its energy at the opposite wall. Why is that good?

firstly, neither Beveridge nor flooder are primarily aiming their energy at the opposite wall - the horizontal polar patern is perfectly uniform - 180° precisely speaking

secondly, it is good because it gets rid of the floor and ceiling reflection for good (in case of a true line source as in Beveridge) and enables us to have the earliest of the early lateral reflections arrive >8 ms even in a room as narrow as 3.5 m
in a bit larger room it is easy to have delays >10 ms to satisfy even the requirements of Dr Geddes et consortes

it is an advantage over typical stereo where we have very early vertical reflections and even 6 ms of delay is difficult to obtain for lateral reflection (in case of vertical reflections quite impossible to obtain), isn't it?

in case of a flooder the lateral reflections are delayed by the same amount as in Beveridge and first-order floor reflection is eliminated as the speaker is as much integrated into the wall as into the floor - being very short and up-firing

and the ceiling reflection is just as lateral reflections ie. delayed by 8 ms or more (depending on the height of the room and of the listener's seat)

this is why I think it is good from RFZ-fans perspective, wouldn't You agree?

after all even Dr Geddes agrees that reflections delayed by more than 10 ms are beneficial to sound quality

Last edited:
Hi Oliver,

I see you are afraid of the group delay! :D

According my understanding up to date, group delay is purely an engineering term and means almost next to nothing in psychoacoustic perception in small room acoustic spaces.

Here (from the data in stereolith thread) is my test box measured at the listening position at 2m in my living room. These are psychoacoustic wavelets at 50ms time frame and betwen 500-10000Hz. Only the right element is playing, left element is mute. Omni mic.

First pic shows the direct sound at 0.007s. Room (wall) reflections come at 0.015s.

How you define group delay from this ? Above 2kHz major energy is at 0.007s but below 2kHz it is at 0.015s. Bad group delay?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Second pic is with the sound absorbing pillow placed betwen the speaker and the listening position to attenuate the direct sound. The sound at 0.007s is almost eliminated.

What is group delay now? It can be seen that major energy arrives at 0.015s at all the frequencies, so one can say group delay has been improved by blocking the direct sound? :D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

- Elias

Preliminaries are group delay being small throughout the used bandwidth
and lobes in angular dispersion being scattered and overlayed fine enough
(dense enough) over frequency.

This way there is no need to avoid direct sound. A bending wave transducer
with high enough modal overlap will do the job.

In a reverberant field and also
in the direct field of poorly designed speakers according to the "DML"
paradigm you typically have high and non smooth group delay.
That is counterproductive in the direct field IMO.

High group delay is not needed to get interference patterns
(speaker/speaker, speaker/wall) smoothed in the room say
above 2Khz.

The way to achieve said behaviour is different in my proposal.

It comes

- without excessive group delay

and

- less early reflections

thus being more independent from properties of the given listening room and speaker/listener
positioning.

Both can be seen as an advantage in a system designed to be a reproduction system,
built to perform under varying conditions.

Last edited:
I personally cannot follow the reverse order like:

"Hey that's spacey and involving, but transients are smeared and
voices and strings sound somewhat colored."

how does a smeared transient sound to You exactly?
somewhat that is...?

and finally - what are You talking about? certainly not about anything specific in the context of our recent discussions here because You haven't tried it yet

neither Elias' side- nor my ceiling flooder, have You?

so "smeared transient" and "strings sound somewhat colored" etc. are only in Your imagination

The luxury items have to be based on a good foundation to really get
noticed.

luxury items? we are not industry guys here, are we? so I say **** "luxury items"

we are in it for the MUSIC

Last edited:
how does a smeared transient sound to You exactly?

e.g. loss of detail in pizzicato passage (contrabass, cello, violin):

The notion of a multitude of strings being plucked but single sounds arrive
with slight offset, which creates a special quality a new whole ...
can be diminished a lot by mediocre systems.

To have a somewhat wider usable listening area, and "involvement"
are items i regard as personal luxury in listening.

The others mentioned like "acceptable transients", "low coloration" are
fundamentals to me.

Last edited:
Unfortunately neither ceiling- nor side flooder approaches have been
specified sufficiently up to now (or did i miss something) ... preferably
it seems you like others to be definite.

- Whether to use fullrangers or multiway

- Whether to restrict the "indirect only" radiation to a certain
frequency range

- What "blocking" of direct radiation means in terms of (minimum required) level attenuation.

- Which further dispersion characteristrics of the indirect radiator to use

- Whether and how to design the reflective surfaces in order to achieve
controled conditions due to frequency dependent absorption and
stereo symmetry

- Whether and how to compensate for group delay in case a multiway
approach is used (with low frequencies possibly also radiated directly)

- Which dispersion for low and mid frequencies is chosen.

- How is seamless blending between LF and HF achieved (frequency range, DI)?

- How is the room interfaced below schroeder frequency ?

- Which cues for lateralization does the system provide, that are captured in the recording ?

- How is filter function of the pinna in median plane accounted for (esp. in case of a ceiling flooder) ?

So at the current state of affairs my own experience with "similar" arrangements
seems more than sufficient to report my impressions, yes.

Last edited:
Unfortunately neither ceiling- nor side flooder approaches have been
specified sufficiently up to now (or did i miss something)

yet it seems that both are specified sufficiently for You to criticize them :rolleyes:

frequency range

- What "blocking" of direct radiation means in terms of (minimum required) level attenuation.

stereo symmetry

- Which cues for lateralization does the system provide, that are captured in the recording ?

- How is filter function of the pinna in median plane accounted for (esp. in case of a ceiling flooder) ?

You can use advanced search function :cool:

So at the current state of affairs my own experience with "similar" arrangements
seems more than sufficient to report my impressions, yes.

great, so, let's summarize: not only You haven't listened to it You even don't know precisely what it is because it hasn't been specified sufficiently up to now (or You missed something)

and yet You feel in a position to criticize it... it must really be a world record of... oh You know what...

Last edited:
and yet You feel in a position to criticize it... it must really be a world record of... oh You know what...

I am bringing to mind aspects that IMO have to be dealt with in any
loudspeaker relying on indirect radiation predominantly, at least at frequencies
above midrange.

The "search functions" you recommended me to use would have to be very
sophisticated (like telepathic pattern completion) to bring those missing
solutions to light.

Since your usual comment to almost every aspect neglected in that "design" is
analogous to "no solution needed".

(System smears enough in conjunction with a room small enough, so it doesn't
matter anyhow. Audio science especially concerning spatial hearing is just
"piecemeal" when applied to real home audio, right ?)

Last edited:
I am bringing to mind aspects that IMO

IMO? so You rely on your opinion in general - I rely on my experience with the specific thing

The search functions would have to be very sophisticated to bring those
missing solutions to light.

problems with search function? ok, here it goes, be my guest:

I used fullrangers and coincident two-way but below is a picture of tinitus flooder so limits of this approach in this regard are not fully determined

frequency range
a flooder doesn't rely on "indirect only" principle, as to the side-firing thing I feel Elias has more experience

a flooder doesn't rely on "blocking", as to the side-firing thing I feel Elias has more experience

What exactly do You mean by "further dispersion characteristrics"?

stereo symmetry
requirements of symmetry are the same as in case of convetional stereo, no need to design reflective surfaces , great results with standard plasterwork

I used single way fullrange or coincident two-way so I have no experience in that regard but tinitus tested what is pictured below and reported:

btw, its funny tho that my experiment clearly showed that floor positioned drivers had great and precise imaging/soundstage
and even more funny that singers etc were positioned with the correct height

and that with all sorts of things placed around
furniture, boxes, project, etc
far from optimal
placed close to walls
and below a big bookshelf
probably couldn't be worse
but it still worked

and the 3way xo, even more silly

in case of a flooder as wide as possible, as to side-firing thing Elias is better expert

in a flooder I used single way fullrange or coincident Uni-Q so I had no problems with blending, as to non-coincident 3-way You can ask tinitus who said that crossover could be tricky

as one wishes - in case of trouble use flooder pair as satellite speakers and whatever subwoofer approach that works for You, small multiple, stereo OB, mono IB, whatever

interesting question :D in case of a flooder I can say the same as conventional stereo, as to side-firing - Elias is better expert

another interesting question - how is it accounted for in a conventional speaker? ;)
I don't know
but in case of a flooder it is consistently reported that everything is positioned with the correct height, no sound coming from the floor expected by our dear Markus... ;) no sound from the ceiling either

Audio science especially concerning spatial hearing is just
"piecemeal" when applied to real home audio, right ?

right! audio science dealing with loudspeakers and rooms from perspective of music reproduction at home does much better, and flooder doesn't go against any conclusions/recommendations from Dr Toole's book, does it?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.