Unconventional Techniques for Achieving Oustanding Stereo Imaging

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To me it's a very different perception when enveloping sounds from the back are missing.
The point being that they are not missing in the typical listening room . . . wall reflections fill them in sufficiently. Often more than sufficiently.

Moulton moved the side speakers in wider angle because his matrix was not optimal. Matrix stereo is not a pair wise panning between two speakers, no. All the speakers contribute to the imaging. You may need to draw some vectors to realise that
Regardless the coefficients the vectors all fall between the left and right speakers, thus narrowing the image.

The delayed (late) reflections are already encoded in the recording. Their apparent direction (behind) is provided by listening room reflections.

? Those "delayed (late) reflections [that] are already encoded in the recording" arrive at the listening postion from the front first. And they arrive from all other reflection points too. This isn't LEV.
One would need to extract those particular reflections from the recording and present them from the back. Unfortunately everything is lumped together into a 2 channel stereo signal. The spatial information is lost.

Last edited:
"Envelopment" isn't about specific spatial information. That's a "localization" issue. There is no sense of "localization" of the reverberant field in a concert hall.

As I've said before, we're obviously talking about very different perceptions. Remove the back wall of a concert hall, record the sound that is "escaping" and mix it back in from the front ±30°. Do you really believe this creates the same perception of LEV as if the back wall was there?

Do you really believe this creates the same perception of LEV as if the back wall was there?
Close enough . . . because the back wall of the listening room is there to reflect the sound from behind you. You don't need speakers back there for that (unless you have a VERY dead room, in which case if you have 'em smoke 'em). For some very dry recordings a little artificial reverb from the surrounds can sound . . . nice . . . and I can't say that I don't turn it on sometimes. But with most recordings it's just not necessary, or desirable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.