• The Vendor's Bazaar forum is for commercial offers and transactions. Only unmoderated members can post here.

diyAudio provides this forum for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members. Use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ultimate Twin TDA1541a Non-oversampling DAC with tube buffer & reclock set.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Change iv resistor to 68R//39R. These are Russian military grade 0.1%.

Attachments

• iv res.jpg
    iv res.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 1,217
Ultimate Twin TDA1541a Non-oversampling DAC with tube buffer & reclock set...........

Dear all

recently I collect a very small bottle of ( name Liquid graphite compound ). Which was painted in the middle layer of the outer & inner chassis of the commication equipment of aircraft. This one was made in Germany & also not cheap but every time will only need to use little.

This compound dried after coated for two days in normal room temp & Humidity. The outlook was same as the Vintage Englind, Such as Very OLD KT66 Graphite to Absorb the ions in the bottle.

After I painted into the 6DJ8 I can hear the microphonic was desrease much more, back ground was silent so U can hear more detail music. Until now the feedback is +ve. I need much more time to test & will try to use in another tubes to test for the peroformance. But I was worried about that this compound will only suitable in the small tubes. Power tubes will not suitable because the heat will easy to cause tube damage.

will Update later.

I call my friend directly order from Germany for 0.5kg packing will approx EURO 250 & not include posatge.

If it really very good, I will order one back & break down into small one offer to diyers.

P.S. The Best that I like this one was after painted this one into surface of the small tubes, Although I use USSR tube such as 6C45 I still not feel rough sound which compare with standard 6c45. Certainly it cannot reach we417a or 437a standard. But will close more.
Some smooth vintage tube air was added into it.

thx

thomas

Chassis update? I2s or SPDIF?

Hello Thomas,

Do you have update on availability of Chassis? The last post I read suggested that you were planning to offer *two box* chassis styled after AN zero-dac; one for dac IC and op-amp and one for tube buffer. Is this still the plan and, if so, are you currently taking orders and how much will they cost?

Also, will this chassis come with I2s input jack?

Finally, can someone steer me in the right direction. I am planning to use the utlimate twin 1541a dac in a PC audio setup. I will use USB out of the PC into a USB-to-SPDIF converter, and then take SDPIF digital coax to the DAC. Would I derive better sound by using a USB-to-I2s converter and, if so, does anyone know of one that is commercially available? If there is no improvement (or only modest improvement) I will stick with SPDIF.

This is Thomas' thread, but...

I listen to most all music through my computer, so I recently set out to find an optimal source. For me, I wanted to be able to output true 24/96, so the standard USB-to-SPDIF chips were out. I stumbled on the M-Audio Transit, which looked to have potential. With the help of members of this forum and others, I was able to come up with a suitable circuit to add a coax output to the existing optical output. I can then externally route this to my DACs. If all goes well, I should have it together in two weeks or so. The plan is to posts pics, schematics, etc. at Head-Fi.

BTW, I wanted a stand-alone unit that was suitable with use in many DACs, so I chose to mount it in a separate enclosure. This should make a dynamite, portable unit for use with any laptop. However, it sounds like you want an integrated I2s setup, so this may not be the answer for you.

Regards,
Bryan

Ultimate Twin TDA1541a Non-oversampling DAC with tube buffer & reclock set...........

Hi bryman79,

Not need to care, Post your advise & comment of your taste & share to diyers we can both improve our skills.

About the chassis, until now I cannot get the best I2S input sockets, any better one advise?????? I will try to search & use in the chassis. I will only Set up the black colour chassis with the funish kit only.

The size wil close to audionote. Full chassis need 4 screws to fix. Easy to cary & enough strength. 3 Solid copper pins tips on the bottom which can adjust the water level.

This is the best that I can do.

thx

thomas

Attachments

• p1010810.jpg
    p1010810.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,104
Re: Ultimate Twin TDA1541a Non-oversampling DAC with tube buffer & reclock set...........

tube-lover said:
Hi bryman79,

Not need to care, Post your advise & comment of your taste & share to diyers we can both improve our skills.

About the chassis, until now I cannot get the best I2S input sockets, any better one advise?????? I will try to search & use in the chassis. I will only Set up the black colour chassis with the funish kit only.

The size wil close to audionote. Full chassis need 4 screws to fix. Easy to cary & enough strength. 3 Solid copper pins tips on the bottom which can adjust the water level.

This is the best that I can do.

thx

thomas

Hello Thomas, Chassis looks good, how long until your ready to take orders?

BTW have you shipped my kit yet?

Regards

Anthony

I2S Input Socket Types

Dear Thomas,

Regarding i2s input sockets for use on Dac chassis, I looked on the Revelation Audio Labs website to see what type of connectors they use with their i2s cable. They offer the following types of connectors. I've ordered these from low to high price:

5-pin mini-Din connector (lowest price)
· Used by Audio Alchemy, Camelot and Perpetual Technologies and cd-pro2? (cd-pro2 users please correct me if I am mistaken as I could only find a small photo of rear chassis).

CAT 5/Rj45 Connector (higher price)
· MSB, North Star

13W3 Connector (highest price)
· Muse, Sonic Frontiers

Obviously, there is no standard for i2s; hence all the various types. I do not know best low-price source for these connectors, perhaps other DIY'r can help. The round 5-pin mini-din connector seems to be used by most audio companies and I think is used on CD-pro2, so maybe its a good choice. Perhaps others have feedback on best one for Dac. Anyway, I hope this helps.

Dear anthony,

your set was funish already & can post. do U had interest for the chassis. I will added one more I2S into the chassis. Two weeks later the chassis will arrived my hand. Post all together can save some ppostage, depends The DAC U hurry or not.

thx

thomas

Re: Ultimate Twin TDA1541a Non-oversampling DAC with tube buffer & reclock set...........

tube-lover said:
Dear anthony,

your set was funish already & can post. do U had interest for the chassis. I will added one more I2S into the chassis. Two weeks later the chassis will arrived my hand. Post all together can save some ppostage, depends The DAC U hurry or not.

thx

thomas

What would the additional cost of the Chassis be Thomas? You can send me an email if you like.

Regards

Anthony

USB=>I2s Interface Question

Hi Thomas, I would like a chassis also. I't OK to delay dac shipment until chassis is ready.

Now a question regarding USB interface for this Dac. If possible, I want to build a USB-to-I2s daughterboard based on pcm2706 IC, and install it inside my ultimate twin dac. I would install usb connector on dac's chassis. I've found a few people who have built this interface for other tda1541 dacs. Only about 7 parts including power supply, so that it's not bus powered. Although pcm2706 is an usb audio dac IC, I only want to its USB Control function. This IC can send I2S direct to tda1541a...so there is NO spdif anywhere in the chain. I would prefer to maintain the option of using twin1541a dac's spdif interface through CS8412 receiver *and* also use the USB input through the 2706 controller. The Dac used in both scenarios would be twin tda1541a.

I would greatly appreciate any input on the following questions:

1. Is there enough room inside the ultimate twin dac to mount a small daughterboard (probably 3x3.5") very close to tda1541a to minimize distance of I2S wire? If I install the USB interface, I would not be adding re-clock circuit.

2. Is it possible to create a "switch" so that tda1541a is fed by either the pcm2706 for usb-to-i2s *OR* by cs8412 for spdif interface? Do I even need a switch? Would such a switch degrade the sound quality?

3. Could I use a second pulse transformer pe-65612 to power this usb interface?

Any input by DIY'r would be greatly appreciated as I am a beginner. Thanks.

Hi I just want to share some experience about the tube buffer. I found it sounds a bit too tight for me. I think this is because the output impedance is too low (good in theory).

Increase R26, R42, R51, R54 will loosen the sound (increasing output impedance). The original value is 220R. I found that 470R is right for my ears. This may depend on systems too (different input impedance of your amp)

I have also connected the OSC pins of the two TDA1541A. It works fine. I feel the image is better but not very sure.

The above is about the 6DJ8 option. I haven't got 6c45pi yet to try.

Dear riotubes,

sorry to late reply because my computor was attack by unknown virus. I don't know why will restart normally. I was continous switch until to day ny friend halp me to re-store the window.

Btw,

The final sharp chassis of the dac now was funishing already. Only added one I2s on the back. Sorry for the late because I need to fit the shortest length of the cable which reach the DAC board. The Chassis is very fit for the PCB & the chassis. If U like to make a pcb for the USD input. I suggest U diy by your self first.
I need more time to test & fit to get a good look for the funish DAC. Can U supply me some referencr material for the 2706 circuit about the circuit is not bus power supply.

I will pay large effort for them to test.

If U like to build the faughter PCB I suggest U vertical fit into the DAC chassis will be better. I also use the the sato switch to select for RCa & BNC already. It looks not effect the digital data. No noise was taken. I will try your advise. I was use my coming DIY kit which is special design for AKG K1000 Haedphone use & test the sound which will downgrade or not by this parts.

Yes, U can use another PE-65612 for it. But pls seperate two input. Or U can choose a very good IEC filter will effect more.

Anthony. Pls hold on & I prefer send the remian set of kit to U with the chassis. I will PM to U the total of the chassis & will good offer to U. But may be U need pay a little bit more about the postage. But also the chassis will follow with full set of input jackets.

Dear quantran, I was digested your question. I will asswer U tonight. Will very quick reply because the computor was repair already.

thx

thomas

Hi all,

I will improve/upgrade the website server from tomorrow evening 1800 to 0000 2005-07-13. ( Hong Kong Time).

My service will improve more for fast response later.

For quantran, WE5842 or the LM ericsson Gold pins is the Best. ( made in Sweden). Or try to rework & change to 5965. 6H30Pi parallel also better.

connect the OSC will improve the sound or not, it will not easy to say. But I try to call taiwan factory use the spectrum to analysis the 1541a on my hand. so the tda1541a will try to match in close one. Because the crown version is very expensive. I hope this matching process can decrease the range between them. In your opinion. I think I was successed. Hope U will love my DAC.

If U had WE412a on hand or telefunken EZ80. Pls try. But we412a need rework. Be care for this.

thx

thomas

Hi all,

this new caps I test very good in my DAC.

pls take a look.

dear anthony,

the chassis will funish on early of Augest.

I will inform U immediately & will follow with 28 pcs of this caps for U to test.

thx

thomas

Attachments

• mew decoupling caps for 1541a.jpg
    mew decoupling caps for 1541a.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,112
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.