Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

All finished and playing - yes they are close the back walls, but they sound pretty good to me. Pulling them out isn't much of an option at this point.

It's a pity you can't get them out from the walls. My OB's sound weird close to the wall. The low end becomes diffuse and unprecise, and the lowest freq are missing. Just 1 meter out, and everything is much better.

Linkwitz have described a corner loaded OB solution, that might be an option, but it's a complete different design.

SLOBv1.jpg

A "small" slot loaded OB.
Drivers are: Coral Beta 8" and 6 ps. Scan-speak 25W.
Crossover frequency is 150 Hz

I like the design approach - how do you like the sound ?

Hi smndao,
is this a kind of ripole? are there 3 scanspeaks on the right side too?
with the magnets pointing into the slot, like the ones on the left?
and the rear is open, wider at the rear than the front?
I like the design very much, built a lot of OB's, mostly with saba green cones but the bottom end is a bit weak. this might be an elegant solution.
can you post a pic of the rear?

thanks
gerrit

SLOBv1.jpg

A "small" slot loaded OB.

Drivers are: Coral Beta 8" and 6 ps. Scan-speak 25W.

Crossover frequency is 150 Hz

Really nice!

If you divide each 2 pairs of drivers in the horisontal plane with a brace, you will lower the vertical slot resonnance. Examine Johans gpa-slob above and you will notice the braces in between. This will make an even higher LP feasable.

Best regards Gisle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi johanwholst,

Really nice speakers you have.

One question: how do you deal with the 1/4 lambda resonance of the slot? You use it up to 350 Hz. That's the highest I've seen on such things.

Assumed the depth of slot is 30 cm or so (12" woofer). The strongest resonance would be around 287 Hz, well within the range you use it.

How do you handle this? Digital EQ, or any special design in the slot?

:)

Hi johanwholst,

Really nice speakers you have.

One question: how do you deal with the 1/4 lambda resonance of the slot? You use it up to 350 Hz. That's the highest I've seen on such things.

Assumed the depth of slot is 30 cm or so (12" woofer). The strongest resonance would be around 287 Hz, well within the range you use it.

How do you handle this? Digital EQ, or any special design in the slot?

:)

Thanks! The resonance peak is actually at 305hz measured nearfield, and is about 8db. It is quite easy to correct with dsp, and the slob would give a usable output from 30hz to 400hz. As mentioned, even it sounds and measure good, I would be more comfortable with a lower crossover and I am looking into other solutions for the midrange

My 5th Generation Prototype

These are my 5th generation prototype OB/Suspended speakers and they are by far the best version yet. The air, detail and realism is pretty darn good and far better that anything I have heard yet (that is not saying much though :) ).

The drivers are Neo3 (open back), Neo10 and AE dipole 15's.
They are passively crossed at 3kHz and 300Hz and driven by a 60W class A balanced amp of my own design.

Future upgrades include:
A toroid style H enclosue for the dipole 15 which should extend the bass to 32Hz without equalisation.
Seperate amplifier for the dipole 15 with an active crossover and possibly equalisation to extend the bass further.
And maybe in the distant future I will replace the neo3 with a AMT tweeter.

Cheers

Tim

Attachments

• Evernote Camera Roll 20141211 134710.jpg
    Evernote Camera Roll 20141211 134710.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 2,009
  • Evernote Camera Roll 20141211 134709.jpg
    Evernote Camera Roll 20141211 134709.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 1,987