Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

- 15 in bass drivers: Dayton ST385 0.28 Qts, ~240 g. mms and 16.6 Hz fs - measured;
- 12 in midbass drivers: Bulgarian Gamma VKN 12311 0.5 Qts, ~2 Qms, ~40 g. mms and 25-30 Hz fs - measured, resonance varies from driver to driver, other parameters are consistent. Those have useful output from fs to 4 kHz and are quite flat on axis. The factory has maybe 50 years old paper installation, they make their own paper, then they form and bake it in special ovens. The voice coils are on aluminium former with two layers;
- 4 in low treble: Tang Band W4 1757 sb, I chose it because of the neodimium motor (more details compared to ferrite?) and the low Qms which in my opinion will match the one of the 12's, also I like the fancy of having a flat honeycomb membrane;
- Ribbon Driver is made by Audio Research Laboratory - Home Page and what is especially joyful is that these are one of two pairs made for me personally by the now late Prof. Vulchev :)
The 12's are also his design based on licence from Decca-Kelly several decades ago. Generally Professor Ivan Vulchev is the father of the acoustics in our country. He was member of the AES for maybe half a century until he passed away a couple of years ago.

Best regards, thanks for asking!

Last edited:
Neo3 tweeters, Tang Band W8-1808 over H-frame Alphas with active crossover

P8090003.jpg

- 15 in bass drivers: Dayton ST385 0.28 Qts, ~240 g. mms and 16.6 Hz fs - measured;
- 12 in midbass drivers: Bulgarian Gamma VKN 12311 0.5 Qts, ~2 Qms, ~40 g. mms and 25-30 Hz fs - measured, resonance varies from driver to driver, other parameters are consistent. Those have useful output from fs to 4 kHz and are quite flat on axis. The factory has maybe 50 years old paper installation, they make their own paper, then they form and bake it in special ovens. The voice coils are on aluminium former with two layers;
- 4 in low treble: Tang Band W4 1757 sb, I chose it because of the neodimium motor (more details compared to ferrite?) and the low Qms which in my opinion will match the one of the 12's, also I like the fancy of having a flat honeycomb membrane;
- Ribbon Driver is made by Audio Research Laboratory - Home Page and what is especially joyful is that these are one of two pairs made for me personally by the now late Prof. Vulchev :)
The 12's are also his design based on licence from Decca-Kelly several decades ago. Generally Professor Ivan Vulchev is the father of the acoustics in our country. He was member of the AES for maybe half a century until he passed away a couple of years ago.

Best regards, thanks for asking!

Thats pretty exotic :up: I like it.

I tried one Neo 3 and while it sounded very good I preferred the greater output of two. With their rear covers removed they radiate to the rear.

Are you using the "3", or the 3 "pdrw"?
I'm still trying to get the best out of the "3" paired with a Neo 10, backless.
It doesn't seem to keep up with the 10, in spite of similar efficiency ratings...
��

Hi,

Do you use the Neo 3 as an open back, which model did you use the std or the pro version? At x-over freq to the F. Ranger and how do you find the performance, any limitations?

Thanks

Yes I removed the the back covers. They pop right off with a knife. Tried them firing in opposite directions but found no advantage.

One of each type.

I tri-amped with an Ashly crossover. Don't recall the settings as I sold the Tang Bands after buying the Lowthers.

Yes I removed the the back covers. They pop right off with a knife. Tried them firing in opposite directions but found no advantage.

One of each type.

I tri-amped with an Ashly crossover. Don't recall the settings as I sold the Tang Bands after buying the Lowthers.

I try to stay current on several threads but evidently I missed mention of your acquistion of Lowther drivers.

What is the latest configuration of your system?

Best Regards,
TerryO

My system is triamp'd 4th order and has active EQ. There's a separate woofer box on each side. The rear facing tweeter only does above 13kHZ. X = 100HZ and 1.4kHZ. I'm using the XXLS Peerless 12 inch woofs, Peerless 5 inch mids, and the Seas Milenium 1 inch dome tweeter. The rear tweeter is a Dayton 3/4 inch. The electronics is all OPA2134 opamps, polyprop caps, 1% metal film R's, etc etc. Hafler DH220 poweramps on bass and mid, and a 30 watt tube amp I designed and built on the tweeters.

For those who don't know, OB speakers must be out from any walls by at least 3 feet or there's bad psycho-acoustic effects.

Attachments

• Atlantis front view wb.jpg
    Atlantis front view wb.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 2,620
  • Atlantis rear side view wb.jpg
    Atlantis rear side view wb.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 2,547
  • woof 08 wb.jpg
    woof 08 wb.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 2,488
Last edited:
Lowther DX3 powered by 2a3 Bottleheads

Alpha 15A's in parallel powered by Yung class D plate amp

Ashly active crossover

PA020005.JPG

I only had my Yung for 14 months, in a music only system.
While watching a movie, the green on light powered up, then faded to. black.
Never to be heard from again.
Took it to 3 repair shops; all say they won't work on this brand.