ultimate budget speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
nice, what about these, any good?
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=7791664.20776&pid=1810
tm1a.jpg

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Dear Inrank, please, and this is said in the dearest of harts

I find its a shame to throw those fine FR125 away, even before you have listened to them, and waste your money

I recommend once again to put them into a pair of nicely made MiniOnken - hell, if you dont like them you maybe even make a bit of money instead of wasting it - but I am sure you will miss them once they are gone, and you will have learned a bit of woodwork.

Even with expencive drivers you probably wont get but a moderate result without proper experience, anyway if you really want to devellope your own, you will need to have trustworthy speaker as reference - but I know, its great fun:bawling: :)

tinitus said:
Dear Inrank, please, and this is said in the dearest of harts

I find its a shame to throw those fine FR125 away, even before you have listened to them, and waste your money

I recommend once again to put them into a pair of nicely made MiniOnken - hell, if you dont like them you maybe even make a bit of money instead of wasting it - but I am sure you will miss them once they are gone, and you will have learned a bit of woodwork.

Even with expencive drivers you probably wont get but a moderate result without proper experience, anyway if you really want to devellope your own, you will need to have trustworthy speaker as reference - but I know, its great fun:bawling: :)

hi, i agree, i love the sound, and just been reading into some more OB's.

http://fullrangedriver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=239

would still like to cross it with a larger woofer.

ok, i am gonna stop pi*s ar**ing around and decide on a design! lol
definatly going for a OB with the FR125S and a 10" or 12" woofer.

so do i need to bi-amp these and have a active crossover even if the bass driver has a high Qts (0.9+)?

thought of a good name aswell, P&S OB1 (Pure And Simple Open Baffle 1) lol ((P&S IB1 for my first ones))

;)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
In a dipole frontwave and backwave is cancelling each other out, and theoretical it means no bass - so it is often used told fold baffle to avoid this effect, at least some of it, and avoiding very big baffles

Practically it is nonetheless so that you do get bass from a dipole
I suppose it depends of implementation to some extend

One reason for choosing Exstremis is its attractive Xmax, and the possibility to place crossover point above 500hz, which means smaller and cheaper components, among other things

Here is shown one possible folding of which there are many
(seen from above)

Attachments

• folded dipole principle.png
    folded dipole principle.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 419
hmm, going back to the earlier "Basszilla" idea, haing an extremis in a 17.5L BR and a FR125S in OB on top (could i have a 1.5 way with the FR125 and a WR125S?)

seems best of both worlds

with the OB and the BR, would i still need an active crossover and bi-amp them?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
So we are back where it started, so that should be fine!

FR125 / Exstremis 6.8 - and with a simple 6db Xo around 500hz I think

Now, if I understand you correct you want to ad a WR125 to this, running 1.5 (which actually would be like 2.5)
It really complicate things a lot and could mess up the whole speaker
BUT if I should do it I would cut WR125 above maybe 1500hz
It will take a lot of work but it wouldnt scare me off

But I state that it is really experimental but could look something like this

Attachments

• experimental 2.5 xo.png
    experimental 2.5 xo.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 375
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
There should be a good chance the Exstremis would work fine in dipole - Low SPL normally means linear bass and big Xmax is also good in this respect - and you get a nice tight bass
Actually if you want dipole it probably is best with the whole speaker as dipole - it can be difficult to mix things, so one has to choose between one or the other - "best of both worlds" isnt always that simple.
As reference think of Quad electrostatic - I think the only "subs" having some succes with these have been dipole subs, and guite many have tried.

Well Inrank, over 3000 "readings" and you have made a wise choise in the end, when will you get to work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.