ultimate budget speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Correct, they are wired in parallel with the inductor ahead of the WR. This rolls off the WR while letting the FR run full range.

Knowing only enought about amp loading to be considered dangerous, I'm under the impression that the amp only sees a drop from nominal 8 ohms when both drivers are playing the same frequencies. In my test case mentioned earlier my amp would have seen a nominal 4+ ohm load from 255Hz on down (parallel operation). Above that point the ohms move back up to the nominal 8 ohm load because the other FR (the one running full range) is the only one presenting a load to the amp.

R/

thanks, is there any way of rolling off the FR? or will it 'move less' with the WR as the 0.5?

just another crazy idea, (just an idea) could i say have a multiple of the WR rolled of in the bass, so say one FR and two, three or even four WR's for the bass, could this work, or it is just better to add an extremis or somthing?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Inrank, my advice to you is to forget those complicated designs, they will only cost you

Ultimate Budget Speaker - that is only possible through compromise
Lets see - you have a nice FR125, and the compromise with that driver is its low sensitivity - so let that will be the main compromise

You have stated several times that you dont need lowend - I will say, on the contrary - lowend is precisely what you need, so lets consider a fully adjustable quality sub, that will enable you to enjoy the music much better at lower sound levels, where the FR125 is at its best

By doing so you have another option - and that is to implement a supertweeter instead - which could be the very nice, affordable and high quality Vifa XT19

With this you will have high quality ultimate speaker system - and only compromice will be its low sound pressure

:cool:

i am pleased with your advice, but i already have a sub, though that is only a tempory solution, at the moment i am happy with the high freqency section part of the FR125S.

i dont need bass but i want somthing to help so that the fr125 is not stressed at higher levels. i am more than happy with my setup at the moment for lower level listening.

ultimatley i would like a floorstander that has a 'full range' with no need for a sub. :xeye:

so could i not make a small array using the FR as a fullrange then some WR's as bass mids? (like 4 WR's each side with a FR)

(all in OB)

all this so i can have the all the FR's plus's (mid range and excursion) with louder SPL's from the added drivers all in OB so i can get a bigger sounding speaker with a larger soundstage.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I think your persistence deserves some answer, and I think what you suggest - 4xWR and one FR might give some trouble with sensivity - that setup would work better with a tweeter instead of the FR125

What you can do is to have 6 x FR in a line array - but it is VERY IMPORTANT that you make a "curved" front baffle so that each driver has the same distance to your listening position

inrank,

I got slowed down on building these over the last two weeks but here they are in my living room for listening. They're sitting on some car drying cloths with one under each FR panel too.

I was yakking with my neighbor as I was measuring and made a cutting error so the original plan was shot. So, I just daddo'd, glued and screwed them together. The dipole isn't equal either. It's 12" deep with the face of the main panel 4" in from the front, making it just deep enough in the front to protect the driver magnet bell should it get knocked over. I'm experimenting with the inductor values for the .5 FR. Currently it's at 5mH. Using a slightly larger inductor than called for sounds better to me. After this weekend I'll start the proper wiring job. Amps will just get walls to get them off the floor a bit and shield the circuits.

DSCF0579.jpg

Sound is much sweeter than the earlier wham-bam mock ups (should hope so!), mainly because there is now zero vibration noise from any panel when cranked. Even so I'm also going to look into using the drying cloths as panel damping in the rear of the dipoles and the back of the FR panels and thier wings.

I'm not sure what volume you listen at or your type of music but these definately go loud enough for me. Obviously different songs can be played much louder than others. My wife turned it down while reading her book and all I had to do was move the plate volume controls one tick enhance the bass. Loudness control "ON" didn't sound right. Albums sound too cool now!

What have you decided on?

R/

Jim

Thanks Cal.

And didn't I say I was going to keep you updated. Man, I'm sorry. Thanks for being one who responds better than I do.

I'm getting near retirement from the U.S. Navy and my brain is awash (nautical :rolleyes: ) with junk. I can only get little bits of time lately. I'm not an officer so this retirement is just a good drop in my bucket.

They're pretty neat. The .5 really helped the whole package. I reboxed my Boston CR-8's away last year when I built the vintage driver NoBoxes. I might pull them out tomorrow to do a big comparo. Hopefully these or the NoBoxes compare well enough for me to make some e-Bay cash off the Boston stuff.

R/

Jim

Not to worry Jim, we're all busy. Just glad to hear you're happier with the results. I wish I could say the same. The paint brush speakers are sitting on the shelf gathering dust. Just couldn't make it work. I might have to rethink the whole thing. Currently trying to make two Extremis 6.8 and two 10 drones work. No luck there either. Cal is sad.

We can pick this up on email if need be.

EDIT: I will be back home at the far side of the weekend. Happy Father's day.

Sounds good Cal, happy fathersday to you too. I'll write soon.

Unfortunate on your Paint Brushes. You were so stoked (and so were some of us) with them. Now is when I wish we could compare. You're a speakerholic and I'd like to hear what your missing in them. I bet I would think they're fantastic.

I was just listening to Zappa's Apostrophy and Kansas' Left Overture. Real nice! Next is Classic Yes. I listened to Who's Next earlier and could actually hear when the mixer manipulated the sliders to shift focus in the music. Interesting. Then it's on to some old, well kept Decca Phase 4 kostelanitz and Ronnie Aldrich vinyl. I'm so glad I had respect for them when I was a kid. Now I can enjoy them.

R/

Jim

wow, they look really great.

i have decided to take the easy route and i bought a pair of Rega R3's. i got a good price on them and having had another look at my uni room next year, i dont think i will have enough room behind and to the side to do an OB setup justice.
i will keep the fr125's in their cabinet as they are and leave them at home for when i come home for holidays. lol

Two way

I am very sorry for interupting this tread, but I've been following it with interest.
Tinitus I like your idea a while back about the two way(tangband).
I have contacted them and they can give me a price to ship to New Zealand. That 6.5inch is a little wide for me as I prefer a thinner front. I would have to buy two from the same place as shipping is a killer. If I wanted to keep it simple and go for a two way setup using the Tangbands what would you suggest? I have never made speakers before so I really need some advise I would like to keep the whole process simple

Regards

Brett
P.S Sorry guys for interupting.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Hi, well Inrank, being a creative person with many ideas, had what I consider as a desperate situation, which he has solved now

You want to start from scratch - a totally different situation

And I actually dont know the 6.5" Tangband, just liked the look of it, materials, construction etc.

There are so many possibilities and its very difficult to be specific

I might suggest a good "widerange" with a supertweeter, but then I might ad some help in bass region, or even maybe a line array with small 4" fullranges, and that should maybe as a 1.5 way - but I dont know your level of needs and ambitions (££££££)

I am not able to recommend any of the known constructors either as I dont know any of their speakers personally

Sorry for not being of much help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.