ultimate budget speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Thats the trouble....there are ideas enough fore a lifetime

Best advice....keep it neat and simple!

Original idea is fine with good potential!...sorry to mess it up like that!

But then, we didnt know you had a plateamp??.....but you can always make sub later on!....and furthermore ribbons and Exstremis dont come cheap.

Anyhow it should be ok to suplement FR125 with an Exstremis and nothing else.....but kind of boring and less "stylish" I think....but could be a tough solution.

If even a bit bass is needed then you must go 2-range.

Me and my friend have measured and listened different speaker elements and found few that has excelent value to money -ration:

1)

TVR ARN elements for bass-midrange. Cost few tens of euros. Practically as good as far more expensive Peerless elements. Try f.ex. 6" element ARN 5618:

http://www.tvm-valmez.cz/index.php?id=80&catit=53&catg=1

2) If you need to have cheap 2-range speaker, forget tweeters! Use small "full-range" elements for high frequencies so you can use simple crossover made by only one capasitor for bass-midrange and one coil for midrange-high. One pretty superior element for midrange-high is Visaton FRS8.

http://www.visaton.com/english/artikel/art_261_1_3.html

1+2) Put crossover frequency somewhere between 300-1000Hz. We haven´t tried this but should work pretty ok.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
lets keep it steady,

What you have to consider is that FR125 is a low efficient driver - so bass driver should be chosen very carefull - I think Exstemis ought to be perfekt match, and will take some "beating" :D

Or you could just drop FR125 in a "minionken" and leave it at that

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
If I wanted a refined sound I would choose 1xFR125 and 2xWR125, but adding a Exstemis to this will complicate things considerably and you may loose the refinement and you will need two "subamps" - expencive

1xFR125 and 1xExstremis has the advantage of better bass control when it gets tough

well, thinking about it, the reason is when i play music louder, i dont want to stress the FR125 too much, so if i had two WR's i would still be stressing them when i up the ante, so i think i will go for the FR125 and Extremis in some sort of confuguration.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Thats the reason for having two WR125, they will move less at the same SPL, but YES!...they will still be stressed at loud levels

And you should get deeper bass with Exstemis, and its actually a very nice and not very common solution, and should have a lot of potential.

Only you know your habits and needs!:)

inrank said:
for around the same price as the Extremis, i could get a Morel MW142, MW144, MW164 or MW166 that all have an 86dB sesitivity.
how do they compare?

as i dont need bass, just a F3 of around 45-50Hz as i stated at the start.

Anyone?

Cant seem to get this open baffle idea out of my head from my other post, so what about having the FR125 in a small open baffle on top of the bass enclosure (with the bass driver facing upwards? (or even a ribbon aswell for good measure?)
:cool:

ok.... :bigeyes:

decided that i am going to start from new.

get rid of the FR125 and go for a 3 way that will be a lot more efficient.

thinking of.....

- Morel MDT30s Tweeter (92dB)
- Vifa D75-41-08 Midrange (92dB)
- Peerless HDS Nomex 830869 Woofer (90dB) (or simmilar)

2nd order crossover @ 4000Hz and 500Hz

the peerless in a 25L BR enclosure tuned to 42Hz, the Vifa in a seperate 1.5L sealed and the Morel in a small seperate enclosure aswell.

will this work and will it give me dynamics? (inspired by the ATC 50)

(around £300 for the drivers)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.