UK northern meet 2010 in Sheffield

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Vikash and congratulations on getting married! I hope you still find time for the audio hobby, not many people have documented their speaker projects as well as you, which is something we all benefit from. Actually, hearing your Orions was one of the factors that inspired me to design my own 3 way open baffle speakers, which are in the final tweaking stages now.

I'm also very keen to hear those massive mega-speakers Shinobiwan has crafted!

What's the status of that Chesterfield village hall? It wasn't a terrible venue in fairness...

Simon

Eggborough is North Yorshire and just off the M61 @ junction 34.

The DIY meet venue is in fact inside the social club of the power station within the grounds of the Power Station. NOT a spelling error and definitely NOT in Edinburgh. Great bunch of guys, some interesting gear and great day out. What more could one ask in this hobby?

There are two rooms available as Chris661 has mentioned but what he has not mentioned is that refreshments are laid on with lunch and there is also a bar open all day long. There is a nominal charge for the day to cover the cost ofd the rooms and the refreshments, but is likely to cost no more then £10UK per head.

May I suggest that any intereted attendees visit audio-talk forum and register there interest. This will help in making shure there is enough food per head for the buffet style lunch. audio-talk :: View topic - Eggborough meet 6th november attendee's

Hope to see some new faces and new gear.

Just a thought.

In case any interested diyAudio members don't wish to join another forum simply just to register their interest in attending the Eggborough DIY meet they can send me a pm or email via this forum and I will post up your interest on the thread I have linked above.

As I say it would be good to see some new faces with different or differing interests in this hobby of ours. And of course listening to your DIY builds.

Just to whet ones appetite here are some reports from past meets at Eggborough: http://web.mac.com/scress1958/iWeb/Steves_Tube_Trials/Home.html

Last edited:
Just a thought.

In case any interested diyAudio members don't wish to join another forum simply just to register their interest in attending the Eggborough DIY meet they can send me a pm or email via this forum and I will post up your interest on the thread I have linked above.

As I say it would be good to see some new faces with different or differing interests in this hobby of ours. And of course listening to your DIY builds.

Just to whet ones appetite here are some reports from past meets at Eggborough: Home
This event still on the go?

AudioFreeeek wrote
This event still on the go?

Indeed it is, but we have moved to a new venue just down the road from Eggborough Power Station. We now meet up at Owston Lodge just outside Doncaster. We have a meet later this month 26th and 27th May. Here is the link to the thread audio-talk :: View topic - OWSTON MEET 26 & 27 MAY 2012.

To join us simply introduce yourself on the forum and register your interest in attending in the above thread. Hope to see you there and any other UK DIY folk who might like to join us. Were a friendly bunch and a buffet lunch is included and bar in the next room. We simply share the cost of the room between all who attend.

Last edited:
By all means do bring along your new speaker build, that's what the gathering is all about. I look forward with interest to hear these. However, the room is hard to drive and a lot of speakers don't perform so well as I know to my experience. So don't be too disappointed if they don't sound as good in the hall as they do at home.

You're welcome to bring along whatever you have or want to bring to the party. Most folk set up a full system and we all take turns to play 3-tracks of your choice. If we have time after this then folk swap around gear so if you see an amp you like you can hook up your speakers to see how they sound etc. etc. No set plans as such it's all very informal and intended to be a full and informative day. Any source is welcome being it Streamed digital via laptop, Squeezebox etc., CD or vinyl.

I think there is a amp build comp shootout in the making so this could be interesting.

By all means do bring along your new speaker build, that's what the gathering is all about. I look forward with interest to hear these. However, the room is hard to drive and a lot of speakers don't perform so well as I know to my experience. So don't be too disappointed if they don't sound as good in the hall as they do at home.

You're welcome to bring along whatever you have or want to bring to the party. Most folk set up a full system and we all take turns to play 3-tracks of your choice. If we have time after this then folk swap around gear so if you see an amp you like you can hook up your speakers to see how they sound etc. etc. No set plans as such it's all very informal and intended to be a full and informative day. Any source is welcome being it Streamed digital via laptop, Squeezebox etc., CD or vinyl.

I think there is a amp build comp shootout in the making so this could be interesting.

Are you saying the hall is large so the speakers will be lost? If so I think il be ok, at the moment they are in a 5000 square foot factory and loud as hell, if you mean the hall is small then hmm I don't know

Are you saying the hall is large so the speakers will be lost? If so I think il be ok, at the moment they are in a 5000 square foot factory and loud as hell, if you mean the hall is small then hmm I don't know

What size bass drivers are you using?

Chances are you'll be okay: they aren't exactly small.

We'll see how it goes, but I suspect definitions of "loud as hell" vary.

What size bass drivers are you using?

Chances are you'll be okay: they aren't exactly small.

We'll see how it goes, but I suspect definitions of "loud as hell" vary.

Im using 10" bass drivers, 2" silk dome mid 1" silk dome tweeter, loud as hell lol, well ive had my proac 3.5 up to the max before which handle 250w with ease but these seem much more powerfull, and ive not realy pushed them at all, maybe because where they are they can breath better, it will be interesting to hear how they perform there.

I might not quiet have the cosmetics finished but i will try.

There's one at Owston Lodge on the 15th & 16th of June.

Saturday tends to be quite hectic, we try to get a few tracks out of everyone's systems, then it all goes to mix and match or something bonkers that someone's brought along (a while back we had an 833A SET amp with the anodes glowing red - they reckon 90w/ch out of it).

Sundays tend to be quieter, as around 50% of us go for the first day and don't stay overnight. I haven't been there on a Sunday, but I'm told its a bit more relaxed.

Its usually about £10 per person, and another £5 for the Sunday, which covers renting the room, and a buffet lunch, with lots of (very good) chips.

I'm hoping to make this one, though I won't be able to bring my stereo.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.