• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

UK: GB150 & GB300 + Toroids and others

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
AndrewT said:
Hi Shin,
mauve lipstip with brown outliner does not turn me on, even at weekends.

This private comment has now got the gears churning.

In case anyone was wondering, Andrew is somewhat confused as to why the paypal account he sent money to was registered to an Angela Thompson, instead of Anthony Thompson.

Everyone knows the Scottish are the biggest cross-dressers on the planet. Kilts anyone? :D

Some folks wouldn't know tongue in cheek if it poked them in the eye.

If my integrity is in question then here's a few of the folks that have bought stuff from me on here:

Pinkmouse
Burbeck
IndyAudi
Robwells
Quickshift
Vikash
Toaster
Daatkins
BlackCatSound
Stee-b

Most seemed happy enough. Please be patient and don't hang me before time. If my plan was to do a runner with the money I for one wouldn't lower my name for only ~£200 and I probably would have abandoned the forum shortly after closing up the last deal.

Look back through my for sale threads here and you'll see I've sold much and never let anyone down.

I'll also vouch for Mr Shinobiwan's integrity, I bought a good number of drivers off him before christmas, the package took about 8 weeks to arrive, but the post marks all agreed with when he said he has posted it on time, I think his local post office is just ultra slack!

I wouldn't hesitate in doing business with him again.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Guys, thanks for vouching for me.

My email is a mess at the moment so instead of trying to track down individuals I'll just post the tracking info here:

All these were sent 1st Class Registered:
  • Daniel(GB150) - DK 9739 5115 1GB
  • Steve(GB300) - DK 9739 5116 5GB
  • James(Wallin) - DK 9739 5117 9GB
These were sent via Standard Parcels service because of the weight, this means that these parcels aren't trackable but are insured:
  • Andrew(GB150+, 3x Toroids)
  • John(PSU's, LT's, Cases)

Sorry for delay but I will do whatever I can to help, including prompt refunds should it come to that.

Not questioning anyone's integrity. ShinObiwan is a significant member of the DIY community here, and I've read many of his contributions at diyAudio with interest.

You know how it is waiting for anything in the post - particularly when it's something fun - you just want to know when it's going to turn up.

Looking forward to getting the amps soon.

Dan

p.s. I've already built a stereo GB150 based amp, and it's everthing people here have been saying. The second pair is for bi-amping.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Spartacus said:
Not questioning anyone's integrity. ShinObiwan is a significant member of the DIY community here, and I've read many of his contributions at diyAudio with interest.

You know how it is waiting for anything in the post - particularly when it's something fun - you just want to know when it's going to turn up.

Looking forward to getting the amps soon.

Dan

I'm sure you'll love those GB150's when they eventually arrive. Awesome sound for the money and probably in my top 5 amps, definitely a nice amp.

The only problems that I've had with them is that they sound a tad edgy and blurred on really revealing speakers, they were missing some of the crispness that I like. I had them hooked upto ATC SCM7's and they sounded great but when I tried them out on my DIY designs they lacked just a tad.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Spartacus said:
I suspect there is more to be gained from the SKA design. I've posted in the SKA constructor's thread with a thought.

Hi again Dan,

On the GB's I've messed around with a few 'highend' components such as Blackgates and Audionote tantalum resistors. I also had Gregs PSRR mod on them and strong, low ripple and large resevoir power supplies.

I'm not saying I'd maxed them out or anything like that but they weren't standard. These mods all have a subtle impact on the sound through mainly refining it. They don't change the core sound signature though.

When you consider that they're only around £100 a channel to build (including PS and torroid) then you realise that they're extremely good value. A mate and I compared the GB300's to a Bryston 9BSST and thought them to a little sound better and that's a 5ch amp that retails for £3k. They're great amps as you well know but like everything else DIY, there's compromises in the sound. What these mean is to be evaluated by the end user.

I'm not dragging the GB's down, quite the opposite, but I'm just bringing in a reality check and explaining one of the reasons why I sold them.

I recently heard a highend gainclone implementation in a friends system and was blown away by the quality, so this is the next stop for me. I'm looking forward to Gregs opamp frontended version of the SKA and I'd also like to checkout one of the well regarded Aleph designs in the near future too. So far I've built or done extensive listening to 5 different designs; ESP P101, AKSA 55N+, Hypex UcD700AD, GB150 and GB300. All have been either good or very good. The real reward is just hearing the differences between each and trying to find something that fits and compliments your system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.