UGS-muse preamp GB

Great Regland, indeed I got your email. We are just missing PaulM.

GB Payment Grouping. Ok lets get organized here. From the french GP Google table I have for Canada these members:

Diyaudio username: Algar_emi (Canada)
homecinema-fr.com: Algar_emi
Alex_twn & Eric D: email ok
total: EUR79.70

Diyaudio username: Dennis Hui (Canada)
homecinema-fr.com: AstroNewbie
total: EUR72.70

Diyaudio username: Regland (Canada)
homecinema-fr.com: Regland
total: EUR78.00

Still waiting to hear from PaulM

Diyaudio username: ???? (Canada)
homecinema-fr.com: PaulM
Alex_twn & Eric D: .....
total: EUR203.41

Joined 2010
Paid Member
That's a generous offer!

I will have a spare Kit1(full set of boards but nothing else) for sale when I receive the goods, just in case someone missed the GB. That is 65euro plus shipping and paypal.

Hi Nikola, I might take you up on that offer if I may? I'll confirm once I can find out about whether I can get a muse chip here and program the uC somehow... I've not done that before so I'm uncertain as to if I have the capabilities here.

Cheers!

Hi,
Well, I got an email from someone about the set a few hours before you saw my offer so it will probably go to him, I am really sorry... If something happens and he changes his mind you are number two on the list, I also "have" a set of Muses chips as well.

I say "have" because I do not actually have anything in my hands yet, just my name on the GB list. :) as far as I know the boards will be sent from France sometime later this month or early October. Then Alex will start publishing the manual, the binary code for the controller and so on but it will happen in a period of about a month or two which is understandable as this is a loooooot of work. I am struggling with French too but that is one very sophisticated project that simply cannot be passed :)

Regards

Nikola

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thanks for getting back to me Nikola.

All good - I'll be less lazy and get in touch with the 'French Connection' and see how we go. I've an inkling that the issue will be paying somehow without a significant transfer fee. I guess I'll have a think and see what I come up with!

You're right on the price as well - the amount of effort an planning required to design something this elegant is remarkable. Hat's off to all involved!

haha indeed it is not a diyaudio style GB :)

Alex is in Taiwan, Eric.D is in France and the boards will come from France. I tried to post on their forum in English but that was not very welcome, happily Alex and Eric speak fluent English. So if I were you I would register on the HTF and send a PM. The GB was closed but I am not really sure if that is closed as closed forever, the Muses chips were part the GB and you might have to order them for yourself. I was hoping for a GB on the BOM but I guess most of the people already have the UGS AI and will only go for the upgrade.

Hope that helps.

Hello,

I had no idea about the existence of this topic on DIY audio !
I just discovered it now being highlighted in a PM I received on the HCFR UGS Muse group buy.
Happy to see comments here, I read very quickly few messages and thanks Algar_emi for forwarding the main HCFR messages.

I'll try to read it all tonight and will come back with comments if I see remaining open questions.

Alex.

PS : I am based in France, not in Taiwan, I used to live there but did not updated my profile on HCFR :).

From what I read of the original project features, this new version will be much easier to program that the previous one, using a normal built-in USB port.

Previous project used a supplied JTAG adapter and you needed a LPT port on your computer (I know that mean old computer but that worked)

I'm not expecting the processor to be pre-programmed. You build your controller PCB and then you'll program it. They will distribute the compiled firmware HEX file for upload, and they generally supplied the full code for the adventurous ones. I modified the previous version to change the default messages and settings. That was fun.

They also make sure to post updates, are well responsive of bugs that we can find, and post fix rapidly. This preamp version is an evolution of the previous version and will reuse a large part of the previous proven code.

These designers are always using free development tools and freeware programmer software. They also supplied clear instructions on how to program your board. Me or some other member can always translate their instructions, no big deal. I wouldn't worried if I were you, but keep in mind it is still DIY and hands-on work is to be expected :p

Some comments here, the new mcu I implemented is completely different than the one used by Cheff. While he was using an AVR 8-bits I am using an ARM 32-bits.
Code on the AVR was assembly while the ARM in programmed in C.

So no common piece of code at all, I re-wrote the full UGS Muse firmware from scratch.

Firmware programming is very easy as it needs just a USB mini cable and nothing more as the mcu I used - STM32 - implements a boot loader supporting USB DFU.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Some comments here, the new mcu I implemented is completely different than the one used by Cheff. While he was using an AVR 8-bits I am using an ARM 32-bits.
Code on the AVR was assembly while the ARM in programmed in C.

So no common piece of code at all, I re-wrote the full UGS Muse firmware from scratch.

Firmware programming is very easy as it needs just a USB mini cable and nothing more as the mcu I used - STM32 - implements a boot loader supporting USB DFU.

..Alex

as along time very happy user of Françoi´s original and recognizing the MUSE chip's capabilities your work is exactly what i dreamed of.

Looking very much forward to build another UGS3....and others as your control unit and software permit very much freedom....all you need is onother motherboard and you can have an all singing all dancing BA3 preamp, LSK, Pumpkin....ahhhh amazing preamps ahead.

Thank you

:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Hi Alex glad to see you aboard. I started the thread indeed in here because I posted my UGS preamp and UP amp pictures and received a lot of email interest and regrets to have missed the original GB. For the record, I missed the original myself as well but I was lucky to find these kits for sale on diyaudio, and then I discovered your french forum looking for information on them. Speaking french myself, it was easy to get all the great docs on these projects, and I kept an eye on the future projects.

When I saw that the UGS preamp was about to received an other great upgrade/iteration, I decided to make this forum group aware of it, so they won't have to regret later not to seeing it ;)

PaulM sent me an email, so I'm ready to start collecting the funds by PayPal.

As mentioned I'm being charged by my bank 35$CAN fee for the direct bank transfer. What I'll do is to add to each of your total in EUR, this fee/4, again in EUR (it will be the exchange rate of the transaction day). Please make sure to add the PayPal 3% fee, or to select 'Send money to a friend' in Paypal.

Once I collected all the funds I'll send the money to Alex. I'll try to complete the transaction by the end of this week. Check your email ;)

Diyaudio username: Algar_emi (Canada)
homecinema-fr.com: Algar_emi
total: EUR79.70

Diyaudio username: Dennis Hui (Canada)
homecinema-fr.com: AstroNewbie
total: EUR106.70

Diyaudio username: Regland (Canada)
homecinema-fr.com: Regland
total: EUR106.70

Diyaudio username: JoeyDD (Canada)
homecinema-fr.com: PaulM
total: EUR203.41

Total to send to Alex = 496.51 EUR (I guess I'll send 500 EUR)

Stay tuned

Hi Junie,

Yes sorry a bit of delay in my answers but I was about to reply.
Either way for the payment, I let Algar_emi comment in case of Paypal and if he is ok, this might reduce for everyone the bank charge doing the final wiring to my account.

I'll answer the PM on HCFR and then you decide the way you want to make it.

Alex.