UGS adventures

Attachments

• cochon.jpg
    cochon.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,868
programming the controller

Hi guys,

I suppose this thread is still "the place to be" for the new UGS-pcb owners?

I succesfully installed the AVR ISP software (from Cheff's server)for programming the atmel controller but in the lowest task bar there is a nasty message ; "dongle was not detected".
It's no freeware and i need a dongle?
or
:confused:

Gr.
Johan

The microcontrollers ...

Hello All,

My questions are even more basic than johos.

1. Is the microcontroller programmable on the uC board?
2. And which of the various recipe of software/code/hex/eex should I use?

3. And, did you get a professional to solder on the ATmega, and/or the other surface mount components?

I have a suspicion I might have bitten off more than I can chew here.

4. Oh, and while I am asking: is the best list of components known as "UGS_liste de courses.xls"?

I think that is what is worrying me most - for the moment. I was quite overwhelmed at the apparent complexity of these boards when I opened them yesterday. My old eyes were straining a bit and my brain was certainly hurting a bit, but I am feeling better now ... I think.

Regards,
George.

Re: The microcontrollers ...

GeorgeBoles said:
Hello All,

My questions are even more basic than johos.

1. Is the microcontroller programmable on the uC board?
2. And which of the various recipe of software/code/hex/eex should I use?

3. And, did you get a professional to solder on the ATmega, and/or the other surface mount components?

I have a suspicion I might have bitten off more than I can chew here.

4. Oh, and while I am asking: is the best list of components known as "UGS_liste de courses.xls"?

I think that is what is worrying me most - for the moment. I was quite overwhelmed at the apparent complexity of these boards when I opened them yesterday. My old eyes were straining a bit and my brain was certainly hurting a bit, but I am feeling better now ... I think.

Regards,
George.

1) Yes. basicaly, to flash the uC you need: Drekky PC with parallel port. ISp programmer to connect to PP on one side and to uC on the other side. And you need uC board populated (at least only with some parts are necessary but completely populated board will not hurt either). You need uC board connected to PSU.
First the programmer have to be recognized by the software (first step of programming) without beeing connected to uC board yet.
Then the flashing procedure per se can beginn...
Just follow instructions as in Cheffs tutorial...

2) There are basicaly 3 software cheff wrote to flash ATMEL. They differ only on the uC you have chosen (64 or 128) and or the type of display you chosen : optrex or christalfontz)

3) Soldering SMD parts on uC-Board is not so complicated as it may seems to be. Actualy its surprisely easy and funny.

There are several SMD-soldering instructions on the web you can look at.

Important thing is that ATMEl is static sensitive. And you should be aware of that during soldering. (Depends on your iron, but deconnecting from wall just before soldering is a good practice...)

4) Yes, "liste the course" is a BOM

Cheffs UGS all inclusive offers a lot of functions and it may looks complicated.
But if you take your time you will be happy camper at the end.

:cool:

Manu

Hi,
Cheffs soft is writen with AVR studio (assembler).
(As the job is already done (St Cloud François) you don't need it ... unless you want to programm your own soft ... ehehe)

Ponyprog is the software needed to flash the Atmel uC via AVR ISP parallel port interface (thats the famous "dongle")

Here is the soft.

Pour ATmega64, CrystalFontz display (big one)

There are too others, also, one dedicated to ATmega128
& CrystalFontz display and one to ATmega64 & Optrex Display

Hope it helps

Manu