Heres my contribution to this thread:

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 575
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 554
Earlier today this was only ugly, but now it is working as well so I can revive this old thread :D

It is only a prototype, I wanted to experiment with a 'the Wire' type design but with Exicon TO3 MOSFETs. The TO3 devices aren't very prototype friendly without a good etching setup and the LME49830 certainly isn't, the legs were just about long enough to splay out like this if I didn't solder the NC pins!

It was unstable earlier, oscillating very strongly at 800kHz or so. Here's a few things to be careful with:

1. Space the input and output (feedback points) well apart, ideally with grounded area between them. This was, I believe, the main issue I had
  2. Put gate stoppers close to the MOSFETs
  3. Make the compensation capacitor connection short. Here it is soldered across the IC pins, I broke the track behind the comp pin to reduce extraneous pickup as well
  4. Ensure the 'heatsink' is grounded. Leaving it floating I could initiate oscillation in an otherwise stable design by touching it at the same time as the input connection

Now it is operational but I will optimise by experimenting with gate stopper values (currently 150R) and compensation (currently 33pF). unmatched gate stopper values may help as used in the Wire design, to get over the differing P and N channel input capacitance, or alternatively extra capacitance added to the N channel since these are relatively low capacitance MSOFETs to start with.

attachment.php

:)

EDIT: added extra photo as the LME49830 was barely visible. It is soldered on the reverse of the stripboard, surface mount style. May require a heatsink when I use higher voltages.

Attachments

• Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 639
  • Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 107
  • TO3 Devices.jpg
    TO3 Devices.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 102
  • LME mounted.jpg
    LME mounted.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
You're just a bunch of amateurs: this is what ugly means (it's just the beginning: at this stage, the rest of the material would probably be censored, I'll post it later, when the world is ready)

Attachments

• crap3.jpg
    crap3.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 189
  • crap1.jpg
    crap1.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 180
  • crap2.jpg
    crap2.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 178
Hi Elvee

I think we all have a bin of old experiments and projects of past days. Yours looks like they are still complete, functional?:) Vero board is so handy for 'experiments' conceived in feeble confidence that does not warrant spending money to have a PCB manufactured. As for my ugly bin, projects such as this one end up having key parts removed and reused in newer 'experiments',:D such as the three THAT 340 matched transistor arrays (~$8.00ea) that were 'recycled'.:p

Earlier today this was only ugly, but now it is working as well so I can revive this old thread :D

It is only a prototype, I wanted to experiment with a 'the Wire' type design but with Exicon TO3 MOSFETs. The TO3 devices aren't very prototype friendly without a good etching setup and the LME49830 certainly isn't, the legs were just about long enough to splay out like this if I didn't solder the NC pins!

EDIT: added extra photo as the LME49830 was barely visible. It is soldered on the reverse of the stripboard, surface mount style. May require a heatsink when I use higher voltages.
As long as an amplifier works,
we can always later make it more beautiful.
Almost everyone has built some ugly version of amplifier.

Nice to see your pictures!

Do my amplifiers (main amplifier and preamplifier) qualify? Both were good enough for a publication in Electronics World, but I didn't dare to send them any photos.

It's a pity I didn't take any photos of my high-voltage amplifier. It was simply a wooden drawer with large perfboards in it.

Attachments

• versterker.JPG
    versterker.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 397
  • augurken.JPG
    augurken.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 400