UCD180 questions

Jan-Peter said:
Gertjan,

The UcD700 (900) is still a half-bridge Class-D amplifier ;)
Maximum voltage of the powersupply will be +90VDC / -90VDC

At the moment we are doing a custom made design, this version will be with Fet drivers and some extra transistors and with a H-bridge output. No plans to put this in some moduleform, there are already modules available with a H-bridge :D

Already done some further testings soundwise spoken?

Regards,

Jan-Peter

www.hypex.nl

Hi Jan-Peter,

Thanks for the additional info.

This weekend I have not been able to do further testing. I have been working on my speakers. It may take more than a week before I can do any further tests with the UCD modules (with the active system) since I`ll be very busy with my normal work the coming week(s) :-(

Besides that, what is the maximum current rating for the UCD180 output coil?

I`m thinking of bridging the modules to avoid things like power supply pumping and to keep the speaker currents away from the ground. Just my loads are 4 Ohm, which means, each module will see a 2 Ohm load. For the coil this probably is OK since I`ll not be needing the full power from both modules since I`m only driving a tweeter and lowmids with the modules. However, there maybe a protection circuit on the modules that triggers with low load impedances, is that true, or does it only trigger when the current is too high?

If bridging the UCD180 with a 4 Ohm load that is not driven to full power (but say maximum of half the power supply voltage per module) is OK, then I probably will order 4 more modules to make everything bridged.

Another advantage of bridging is 6dB more gain, this may allow me to bypass the input opamps and coupling caps and to connect the XLR input signal directly to the UCD module, for the tweeter this will probably work. For the lowmids maybe not (since those are dipoles with a low efficiency at low frequencies).

Best regards

Gertjan

Patst577,

So far as I know there will no real soundifference between the UcD180 and UcD400, besides the difference in power ofcourse.

Gertjan,

Yes, duty calls, no problem we will wait for your results.

The maximum outputcurrent of the UcD180 coil is +/- 7Arms. The protectioncircuit detects the piekcurrent, so in a lower load the current protection start to works faster. When you bridge two UcD you must use a 47nF in parallel with the load. This is to synchronize the two Class-D modulators, till 90% of the max. outputsignal they stay synchronized. Please mount this 47nF very near to the amplifiers. To bridge two UcD180 and in 4 Ohm load, I can not really advise this but it will definatly works when the outputsignal is not too.

Alain,

Thanks for your comments!

Regards,

Jan-Peter

www.hypex.nl

Jan-Peter said:
Patst577,

So far as I know there will no real soundifference between the UcD180 and UcD400, besides the difference in power ofcourse.

Gertjan,

Yes, duty calls, no problem we will wait for your results.

The maximum outputcurrent of the UcD180 coil is +/- 7Arms. The protectioncircuit detects the piekcurrent, so in a lower load the current protection start to works faster. When you bridge two UcD you must use a 47nF in parallel with the load. This is to synchronize the two Class-D modulators, till 90% of the max. outputsignal they stay synchronized. Please mount this 47nF very near to the amplifiers. To bridge two UcD180 and in 4 Ohm load, I can not really advise this but it will definatly works when the outputsignal is not too.

Alain,

Thanks for your comments!

Regards,

Jan-Peter

www.hypex.nl

Hi Jan-Peter,

Thanks for the info. Based on the above I guess it is safe to try it since I will not be using excessive power from those bridged modules. They will probably stay far below 50% modulation.

Also thanks for the tip of adding a cap of 47nF to couple the two UCD`s output. I had not thought about that. This will couple the outputs and the feedback loops so that they will stay in sync, very interesting. I will try some simulations with a very simplified UCD model to see if I can see the effect of that cap on the feedback and oscillating behavior.

Thanks and best regards

Gertjan

patst577 said:
So, ghemink, how's it gooing?

Hi patst577,

Have had no time (and will have no time) this week. Too busy with work. Have ordered a whole bunch of XLR connectors. When those are in I will start building up a 2 times 2 channel amp for use with my active speakers for the tweeter and mids. Probably it will take until the next next weekend to get everything in place for the first experiments with the active system.

I`ll keep you updated

Best regards

Gertjan

I am a new menber in this website. After reading lots of posts about class d amp, I am interesting to build an amp based on UCD180 modules. As my understanding, only power supply needed for UCD180 module to become an amp, is that right. By the way, is there any on-line purchase service for the said module? I live in Taiwan, there is not any distributor here. Thanks!
Please forgive me if there is any grammar or spelling error because English is not my native language.

Dear Jan-Peter,

Have been away for hols, so have only just seen your FFT plot.
Unless I'm much mistaken, thats a 1kHz input that you've got there against the longstanding amplifier from that nearby bacon producing nation.

Can you do one with a 7.2K (for reasons previously explained)input at 100kHz so that we can all compare with John W's technology as his seems to be pretty state of the art. See link attached. That way its all apples for apples etc.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=403235#post403235

V Interested in the high end OEM project you're working on. Who is it for?

Regarding FuriousD, Ever seen the simpsons?

Cheers

F.

The link Furious posted above is for a “Pure” Digital amplifier; the results are limited by the modulator (Ti TAS5015).

Below is a FFT of my MK1 Analogue Board, 120W 8Ohms, and 6.67KHz, THD 0.000426%. The “High” noise floor is limited by the analogue generator of the R&S UPD05 – and notice the dB scaling.

Since running the tests, I’ve given up on both the UPD & AP IIC+ and am designing a “simpler” piece of test equipment to perform FFT, IMD & THD (+N) on switching amplifiers via USB – without the limitations, I’m encountering with both my current units.

I would like to stress that simple measurements such as THD do not necessarily tell us much about the sound quality; I’m looking forward to listening to UCD.

John

Attachments

• 120w 8r 6khz67 mk1 analogue.jpg
    120w 8r 6khz67 mk1 analogue.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,302
xman737 said:
I am a new menber in this website. After reading lots of posts about class d amp, I am interesting to build an amp based on UCD180 modules. As my understanding, only power supply needed for UCD180 module to become an amp, is that right. By the way, is there any on-line purchase service for the said module? I live in Taiwan, there is not any distributor here. Thanks!
Please forgive me if there is any grammar or spelling error because English is not my native language.

Hi xman737,

Yes, you only need a power supply and of course some cables and connectors to hook everything up. I`m living in Japan and I ordered the modules straight from hypex (www.hypex.nl). Jan-Peter from Hypex is a regular contributor to the discussions in this thread, so maybe he will reply.

Best regards

Gertjan

Hi Xman737,

I just send you an email about details of ordering. Within a few weeks we will have a webpage ready were everybody can order the Class-D modules, together with cable assemblies and powersupplies.

FuriosD,

Tomorrow I will do some FFT measurements on the UcD180, do have some more specific measurments what you like to see?

Best regards,

Jan-Peter

www.hypex.nl

Jan-Peter said:
Hi Xman737,

I just send you an email about details of ordering. Within a few weeks we will have a webpage ready were everybody can order the Class-D modules, together with cable assemblies and powersupplies.

FuriosD,

Tomorrow I will do some FFT measurements on the UcD180, do have some more specific measurments what you like to see?

Best regards,

Jan-Peter

www.hypex.nl

Hi Jan-Peter,

A comparison of the the UCD180 with and without the NE5532 and coupling caps would be interesting. I`m still planning to check that out myself sonically (still waiting for the XLR connectors). I`m considering to use a direct connection via XLR to the inputs of the UCD module, most likely without caps or with higher quality caps. Thus bypassing the NE5532 and the coupling caps.

However, I`ll first try everything as it is since I want to be able to compare before/after. This means I have to listen for sometime to the default version and then start modifying. The whole process can easily take weeks since I also have business trips in between :-(

Sometimes I wish my hobby was my work :)

Are there already some people with tweaking results? Alain?

I have also ordered a bunch of black-gate caps. First target would be the 22uf 50V caps that are used for power supply decoupling of the output stage and for the input stages (4 caps in total). Other black-gates (smaller ones) would be targeted for use as coupling caps between NE5532 and UCD module. I`m also thinking of replacing the 470uF caps by 100uF black gates. Although those caps maybe not that critical sonically since there is a resistor after that cap (0.05 Ohm I think).

Then there is a 100uF cap that is used for boosting up the gate voltage of the upper NMOS output transistor (at least I guess so). That one would be tough to replace since it`s physical dimension is quite small. Black gates won`t fit unless one takes a smaller black gate (say 22uF). I don`t want to mess around with that capacitor since it is important for the switching behavior of the output stage. So I will stay away from that one, at least for the time being :). Plan to focus on the power supply decoupling and signal coupling caps first.

Anyway, my tweaking results will take time because of busy work schedule and kids that keep me busy in the weekend. Others maybe faster and I would be very interested in the results.

I`ll keep you updated of course.

Best regards

Gertjan

Hi Jan-Peter,
I have received your reply. Thanks! I will wait until your on-line ordering system is ready and perform some study on this website in the meantime.
Hi ghemink and classd4sure,
Thanks for your help! Would you please post some photo about your project and let beginner like me can easy to understand how to set up the module.
Regards! xman