UCD180 questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

About the blue colour:...

I've no doubt you're right, we're talking about percentages of pennies, but you gotta draw the line somewhere. So I decided to post that before we start talking about gold solder joints and the like. My priorities aren't cosmetics.

I still can't help but wonder how much less they'd be for just a plain jane heatsink though. How about that blue LED? They're a fair bit more costly than a regular red or green one too. Could always upgrade that to lazer that spells out UCD on the ceiling..track titles and running time, oscillation frequency, THD and FFT. There's a good reason for building a clear case, otherwise the most you can do is say look, it's blue.

Was it the tact millenium, all the reviewers were ranting about how good that gold plated volume knob looked, I wonder how many of them cut a check for one.

Anyway, for now we're still talking pennies, won't stop me from getting one.

ghemink, looking forward to your testing results. I trust that posted protection circuitry is already included in your module? I haven't studied it much either but I guess that's also your short circuit protection.

Hi,

The price increase a few Euros (dollars) because of the blue colour. I think it's nice to receive somthings what not only functions ok but also looks ok.

IVX,

Indeed we will come with more powerfull UcDs. First will be introduced the 400W version, after that we will come with a 700 - 1000W version. A super UcD High End version is currently unther development by Bruno. But this is somewhat secret OEM project so we can't share you with more information. :D

Regards,

Jan-Peter

www.hypex.nl

Indeed we will come with more powerfull UcDs. First will be introduced the 400W version, after that we will come with a 700 - 1000W version. A super UcD High End version is currently unther development by Bruno. But this is somewhat secret OEM project so we can't share you with more information.

Very, very nice!

Are you as of yet able to give anymore information about your 400 watt version? How will it differ from the 180w? We know it has a different driver, possibly second integrator loop, is it full bridge, does it use the same input stage and comparator? Can you comment on the performance of it into a 4 ohm load?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris,

The difference of the UcD400 with the UcD180 is not so much. Only more powerfull Fets and output coil. It's still no Full-Bridge ;-)

We use the same Modulator PCB!

A measurement in 4 Ohm at 1kHz.

Regards,

Jan-Peter

www.hypex.nl

Attachments

• graphic1.gif
    graphic1.gif
    30.7 KB · Views: 4,168
UCD180 modules

Hi Bruno / Jan-Peter

Any chance of you showing the 7.2kHz FFT of THD + noise for the UCD180 that John W showed for his amp on one of the other threads. I believe that it was about 100Watts into 4 Ohms.

This would be much more useful than another meaningless THD_N vs frequency plot which tells you nothing at all!

Or alternatively, an AP FFT plot of the UCD180 doing 19&20kHz @ 100W into 4Ohms. These would tell a much more useful story about the performance of the amplifier.

FuriousD

Jan-Peter said:
Hi,

The price increase a few Euros (dollars) because of the blue colour. I think it's nice to receive somthings what not only functions ok but also looks ok.

IVX,

Indeed we will come with more powerfull UcDs. First will be introduced the 400W version, after that we will come with a 700 - 1000W version. A super UcD High End version is currently unther development by Bruno. But this is somewhat secret OEM project so we can't share you with more information. :D

Regards,

Jan-Peter

www.hypex.nl

Hi Jan-Peter,

Will that super UCD high end version become available for us as well? If we know something better is out there we may want to have it.

When can we expect that 700-1000W version? I need brute force for my dipole woofers. Probably I could also blow the main fuses in my house with that kind of power. Here in Japan we have only 100V available. :-(

Best regards

Gertjan

Jan-Peter said:
Hello,

I promised a schematic for an overvoltage protection. Please look to attachment. This design is only for DIY, not for manufactures. Copyrights are by Hypex Electronics BV.

Regards,

Jan-Peter

www.hypex.nl

Hi Jan-Peter,

When comparing the schematics of input.gif that you posted earlier with this one, it seems I only have to add the lower part. The part with the two zener diodes, two transistors and a couple of resistors. The the u-prot signal can just go to the u-prot signal of the UCD module. Correct?

Best regards

Gertjan

Hmm, but why exactly 7.2Khz is more informative???

7.2kHz would give you second and third harmonic within the measurement bandwidth of the FFT of an Audio P system one or better. (about 22kHz for the system one, and about 24kHz for the system two) and also gives you two harmonics within the audio band!
This gives you even and odd harmonics. Since different feedback systems usually result in very different harmonic perfomances for odd and even, and these usually become worse with frequency, this is the most extreme single frequency FFT test that most designers can do to their amplifier. It is extremely revealing!

It gives a good indication of noise floor (something that the THD_N plot does not).

It is so infuriating to see THD+N plots as you could have fantastic THD in the amplifier, and the designer could be the worst PSU designer in the world and the THD+N plot would rate the amplifier as bad. The THD+N does not tell you anything meaningful at all. I do not know why people bother to show them.

D.

rha61 said:
Hi

I've received my UCD180:cool:

With a normal power supply , un-balanced input and passive preamp with an insuitable impedance , it already sounds very well , fluid and accurate , no need for burnin

Bravo to Bruno and Jan-Peter !

Al

Hi RHA61,

Glad to hear this. I have not done much listening yet. Have you compared it with other Class D amps?
Best regards

Gertjan

Hi FuriosD,

Hereby a mesauring of the UcD in 100W 4 Ohm and a very known other Class-D amplifier. The lower one is the UcD :D

FuriosD, what a name. Where are you so furio(u)s about?

Gertjan,

At the end of this year will be the third version out of the UcDxxx serie available. It will be a 700 - 900W version (1000W?).

A Super High End version? Perhaps, you never know ;)
We have just started with this UcD Class-D serie................

Yesterday we have tested 2x UcD400 in bridged mode, as expexcted more of less 800W in 4 Ohm. No performing measurements result yet, it was only to see if everything was stable and works. Now I can tell, it works!

A modification on the UcD180 to have a overvoltage protection is indeed very simple, only two resistors and two zeners extra. Anybody who is interested for the modification, please send me a direct email to info@hypex.nl.

Regards,

Jan-Peter

www.hypex.nl

Attachments

• fft_ucd.gif
    fft_ucd.gif
    24.7 KB · Views: 2,870
Hi patst577 and ghemink

I've corrected the UCD impedance to match with my passive preamp
what is surprising first is that the sound is not digital at all
Compared to my modified Panasonic saxr45 (TI equibit ) :
it seems to have no distorsion , very linear and a deep large and accurate presentation
The Panny has faster bass and faster presentation , but i think that changing the Ne5532 can cure that
in fact , my impression is that i 'm listening to the NE5532 and the coupling cap ( quiet and accurate , very natural )

I will try a R-core transformer and an AD826 next week

Regards
Allain

Jan-Peter said:
Hi FuriosD,

Hereby a mesauring of the UcD in 100W 4 Ohm and a very known other Class-D amplifier. The lower one is the UcD :D

FuriosD, what a name. Where are you so furio(u)s about?

Gertjan,

At the end of this year will be the third version out of the UcDxxx serie available. It will be a 700 - 900W version (1000W?).

A Super High End version? Perhaps, you never know ;)
We have just started with this UcD Class-D serie................

Yesterday we have tested 2x UcD400 in bridged mode, as expexcted more of less 800W in 4 Ohm. No performing measurements result yet, it was only to see if everything was stable and works. Now I can tell, it works!

A modification on the UcD180 to have a overvoltage protection is indeed very simple, only two resistors and two zeners extra. Anybody who is interested for the modification, please send me a direct email to info@hypex.nl.

Regards,

Jan-Peter

www.hypex.nl

Hi Jan-Peter,

So the filter coil of the UCD400 can handle that 800Watt? If you bridge it with a 4 Ohm speaker each module sees a 2 Ohm load, that means a lot of current going through that filter coil. For what power is the filter coil specified? For the UCD180 it says 180W on the coil, so bridging it with a 4 Ohm load could be too ,uch for that coil. Is the one in the UCD400 bigger?

What about the 700-900W version, will it be bridged?

I`m interested in the modification for the overvoltage protection. Can the modification be done by myself or do I need to send the modules back?

Best regards

Gertjan

Gertjan,

The filtercoil of the UcD400 can handle 15A rms. So in 2 Ohm load you wil have maximum 450W. Indeed the coil of the UcD400 is bigger.

...hm indeed I did not yet had some thougts about to bridge 2 UcD 700 (900). But theoretically this is true, we can go to really high power levels in future :D .

The modification is quit simple, when you can solder good it will be not such a problem. You don't have to cut any traces only to solder 4 wires.

Regards,

Jan-Peter

www.hypex.nl

Jan-Peter said:
Gertjan,

The filtercoil of the UcD400 can handle 15A rms. So in 2 Ohm load you wil have maximum 450W. Indeed the coil of the UcD400 is bigger.

...hm indeed I did not yet had some thougts about to bridge 2 UcD 700 (900). But theoretically this is true, we can go to really high power levels in future :D .

The modification is quit simple, when you can solder good it will be not such a problem. You don't have to cut any traces only to solder 4 wires.

Regards,

Jan-Peter

www.hypex.nl

Hi Jan-Peter,

I was not thinking about bridging the UCD700, I thought maybe that amp would be a H-bridge configuration in itself. Something like two UCD400 power stages attached to the same UCD driving electronics.

Best regards

Gertjan

Gertjan,

The UcD700 (900) is still a half-bridge Class-D amplifier ;)
Maximum voltage of the powersupply will be +90VDC / -90VDC

At the moment we are doing a custom made design, this version will be with Fet drivers and some extra transistors and with a H-bridge output. No plans to put this in some moduleform, there are already modules available with a H-bridge :D

Already done some further testings soundwise spoken?

Regards,

Jan-Peter

www.hypex.nl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.