• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Twisted Pear Audio - Buffalo32S (ES9018 DAC)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: BUF32S output options

There are positions for through-hole resistors next to the cut marks. You can use them for tapping for the headphones. [/B][/QUOTE]
If I want to have headphones and amp connected at the same time I will need to use a 4PDT switch. Right? Obviously, I will not use both at the same time but the plugging in and out the balanced connectors is not really a snap.
A related question: does the (optional) adjustment of gain act upstream of the (optional) 21ohm output impedance cut?
Thanks,
Nic

If I want to have headphones and amp connected at the same time I will need to use a 4PDT switch. Right? Obviously, I will not use both at the same time but the plugging in and out the balanced connectors is not really a snap.

I don't think you will need a switch, and can feed both at the same time.

A related question: does the (optional) adjustment of gain act upstream of the (optional) 21ohm output impedance cut?

Yes.

AES interfacing

Hi people,

I purchased two of your Buffalo32 kits to be part of a active computer crossover setup..will see how it all goes.

I will be feeding them a AES digital signal from a Lynx AES16 board and I thought of using this transformer to convert the 110 ohm signal to 75 ohm for the Buffalo:

http://www.lundahl.se/pdfs/datash/1574.pdf

What do you guys think? Would it work with the connection described on the PDF?

Thanks and best regards,

Luis

Pushing the limits?

Nice work. It seems a very well thought DAC, especially considering pcb layout (power, signal and ground lines) and the resultant output stage integration.

But I still have a couple of questions.

Do you think mono boards (meaning one chip; eight dac’s for channel; four dac’s for each half signal) may improve performance? I am asking that because I read two power supplies had marginal effect in channel separation. Do you plan to release such a model? Do you think it worth the extra cost?

Is it possible to integrate buffalo32 and volumite into a fully differential electrostatic tube headphone amplifier (thus bypassing the balanced attenuator)?

Cheers, Jose

Brian, Russ, is it possible (and recommend) to use a transformer like Lundahl LL1676 to get the benefit of balanced output on the B32S with a unbalanced amp. A second benefit of using a transformer is that an input cap from a amp can safely be bypassed. Is this a realistic idea?

I'm building a six channel TP Buffalo 32 DAC and have been searching for an appropiate R-Core transformer for several weeks. This weekend I found these in Hong Kong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/50W-R-Core-Tran...:1|294:30

I selected the R26-76 which appears perfect for the +5V and +/-15V supplies.

The advantage of an R-Core transformer are very low noise coupling, low mechanical noise, and very low magnetic radiation.

Tom

tailspn said:
I'm building a six channel TP Buffalo 32 DAC and have been searching for an appropiate R-Core transformer for several weeks. This weekend I found these in Hong Kong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/50W-R-Core-Tran...:1|294:30

I selected the R26-76 which appears perfect for the +5V and +/-15V supplies.

The advantage of an R-Core transformer are very low noise coupling, low mechanical noise, and very low magnetic radiation.

Tom

the link as posted will not work

-joe

You're right, it doesn't work. I copied and pasted it from the other Buffalo thread.

http://cgi.ebay.com/50W-R-Core-Tran...34.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301:1|293:1|294:30

This should work, in spite of the fact that it looks the same as my above post. The shipping is high, slightly more than 50% ot the transformer cost. But it appears to me there are no USA manufactures of R-Core transformers, and no distribution. For me, it's a bargin at that price to be able to obtain just what I was searching for.

Tom

BrianDonegan said:
Toroids have lower flux leakage then R-cores.

I would personally rather buy from someone who is not ripping off other people's designs, such as diyclub.biz:

http://diyclub.biz/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_249_152_74&products_id=55

These are Chinese made and I query the quality of some of them. I had one from this source that self destructed on load.

I would prefer a shielded and potted toroid from RS Component and keep them well away.

fmak said:

These are Chinese made and I query the quality of some of them. I had one from this source that self destructed on load.

I would prefer a shielded and potted toroid from RS Component and keep them well away.

Just because something is manufactured in China does not indicate it is poor quality. I think this is not really an appropriate implication. Most transformer manufacturers have plants in China (Avel Lindberg, Plitron, etc).

I have a couple units from this supplier working well. That said, my sample size does not indicate they are largely reliable.

BrianDonegan said:

Just because something is manufactured in China does not indicate it is poor quality. I think this is not really an appropriate implication. Most transformer manufacturers have plants in China (Avel Lindberg, Plitron, etc).

I have a couple units from this supplier working well. That said, my sample size does not indicate they are largely reliable.

Not at all; some Chinese made products are excellent.

Have you been to this place?; I have, and while they are ok, I would not rate them that high on reliable sourcing. It's just diy stuff made for the Hong Kong and asian market

Hi Russ and Brian,

Just adding to my inane questions from before...... Is it possible to stack two TPA LCDPS/LCBPS units and keep the height under 80mm, after allowing for standoffs from the case? If it can be done, will it still allow for sufficient airflow around the heatsinks?

Will the answer be the same for the upcoming Placid modules?

Cheers! :)

Beefy said:
Hi Russ and Brian,

Just adding to my inane questions from before...... Is it possible to stack two TPA LCDPS/LCBPS units and keep the height under 80mm, after allowing for standoffs from the case? If it can be done, will it still allow for sufficient airflow around the heatsinks?

Will the answer be the same for the upcoming Placid modules?

Cheers! :)

the supply heatsinks are 1" tall (25.4mm). If we round up the board thickness to about 2mm, two supplies are 54.8mm tall with out standoffs, so they would fit.

If you plan on stacking, the lower supply will have slightly less ventilation, so I would put the cool supply on the bottom. This tends to be the bipolar supply.

I think you could make that work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.