• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Twisted Pear Audio - Buffalo32S (ES9018 DAC)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would defintely agree with that, now crappy recordings which didnt bother be before as much are almost painful to listen to... I was listening to a classical CD of mixed composers and I could hear them flipping pages in the background, and a guy sweeping or humming or something...

but the good recordings are almost blissful... I have some Dave Matthews live that was well recorded and you can here the plucking of the guitar and its amazing...

scanspeakman said:

... The bass seems to be extended to even lower frequencies; now my couch is sometimes vibrating ...

The bass of the 32s is indeed excellent. Contributing to this is the dc-coupling in the IVY-circuitry. No rolloff and - even more important - strictly linear phase in the lower bass region. If possible, try to use dc-coupling within your entire chain.

Kurt

Javin5 said:

The bass of the 32s is indeed excellent. Contributing to this is the dc-coupling in the IVY-circuitry. No rolloff and - even more important - strictly linear phase in the lower bass region. If possible, try to use dc-coupling within your entire chain.

Kurt

I'm working on it.....only one capacitor left at the input of my Elektor poweramp.

Scanspeakman

Placid update

Hey folks,

New placid adjustable shunt regulating power supply boards have been ordered for testing. I should have them in a couple of weeks. :)

I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers!
Russ

Attachments

• pcb1.jpg
    pcb1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,242
They look bigger than the LCBPS. What are the dimensions? And will you offer a LCDPS equivalent as well?

[EDIT] Two sets of trimpots? Beyond my skill to work out what is going on there :confused:

Oh, and off topic...... I was on Facebook this morning, and both Brian Donegan and Russ White came up as friends suggestions. How in the hell could Facebook make that connection?!? :bigeyes:

Beefy said:
... And will you offer a LCDPS equivalent as well? ...

If the two GNDs were not common, and a 4 instead of a 3-output connector were used, the board would be more universal. By not joining the two GNDs at the board level, you may also gain more freedom to avoid ground loops. And you would only need a single board in your inventory. Preferably, this could of course also be an LCDPS. By appropriate connection of the output voltages, you could use the board to supply either bipolar or dual supply needs.

Is there a possibility to further expand the output connector with Kelvin sense pins? Maybe in a next revision?

Kurt

Javin5 said:

If the two GNDs were not common, and a 4 instead of a 3-output connector were used, the board would be more universal. By not joining the two GNDs at the board level, you may also gain more freedom to avoid ground loops. And you would only need a single board in your inventory. Preferably, this could of course also be an LCDPS. By appropriate connection of the output voltages, you could use the board to supply either bipolar or dual supply needs.

Is there a possibility to further expand the output connector with Kelvin sense pins? Maybe in a next revision?

Kurt

Hi Kurt, I took a different approach here. This is a truly complimentary circuit. Not just two regulators in series as I had said was (and is) possible.

There will be a smaller single supply that can be used where you would use LCDPS. I just decided to do the bipolar version first.

Kelvin sense is possible, but I have found it not especially effective especially if the wiring is short.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ White said:

... Kelvin sense is possible, but I have found it not especially effective especially if the wiring is short ....

Russ, I fully agree as long as the wiring is indeed short. Also, it is my understanding that to do the Kelvin sensing right, you will actually need two sense wires. My thoughts were that the sensing might allow you to put everything related to power supply stuff on one side of the chassis and all the analog stuff on the other side, which could result in somewhat long wiring.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your new supply board, and thanks for all the work you are constantly doing for the DIY-community.

Kurt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.