• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Twisted Pear Audio - Buffalo32S (ES9018 DAC)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For Brian and Russ

Gentleman,

Yesterday I had the time just before leaving on holliday to change my Buffalo for the Buffalo 32s in my cd-player, also a extra LCBPS for the analog supply went in with his own torroid.

After the first cd went in I couldn't stop listening hours went by and I forgot everything, only music music music as it should be.
For the first time everything, detail,depht, 3D it all was just right, also the emotions (with some special tracks from my late father) that came over me,shivers and tears in my eyes, never ever I could feel so much emotion and feeling in music.

I guess this story speaks for itself, thank you guy's, you are truly a gifted pair.

René. :D

Question about I2S and SPDIF

Hi guys:

I have both I2S and SPDIF sources and want to design the cleanest input switching scheme. I think I can make use of the onboard comparator with some switching. I will use the cute little Thumpbuster relays, or may purchase an Otto.

If I understand correctly, the SPDIF input header is connected to a comparator and the little SPST switch connects the output of the comparator to the D1 input.

Is that correct?

In my idea, one switch will select the SPDIF input and connect it to the SPDIF header input.

Another switch will connect to the D1 header input and select either the I2S source or the output of the SPDIF comparator.

Other switches will disconnect the remaining I2S inputs when SPDIF is selected. I assume this is necessary.

Should I2S inputs be grounded if not used?

If this will work, which end of the SPST switch do I want?

The end closest to the input header?

Is there an easier spot to pickup the output of the comparator? I am concerned about tacking a wire onto the solder pads of that SPST.

I think the attached schematic will work. With both relays OFF, I2S is selected. Both relays ON, the SPDIF input is selected and the I2S inputs are open.

Attachments

• buffalo32s input switching.png
    buffalo32s input switching.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,209
Hey TP guys,

I know you are busy... I was looking at the "tweaker's layout" and think it is great if you make holes where the caps are(caps can stay) for through hole mounting. Also, would it be possible to have a jumper system put on the board so that the outputs can be summed closer to the DAC? Other than that, Could you hurry. LOL. Seriously though... I am heading back to the jungle in a month and need all of the parts before I go. Just pull the trigger and get a couple boards made and I will be a BETA or whatever the other guys gets all excited about! The fact is that I need a chip mounted on a board soon and the Jkeny way might be my only option unless you guys can get yours done. I would be very happy with those changes, but I will settle for the current idea. Thanks and I hope it is soon as it is not easy or reliable to get mail where I will be.

And finally, what I hope to be the last set of inane questions I have to ask...... :smash:

Firstly, open to all comers. Can anybody please tell me what length standoff is included with the TPA kits for stacking the boards? I am guessing between 0.5 and 0.75 inches would be fine, but confirmation would be handy.

Secondly, to Russ and Brian specifically. Has a decision been made regarding the fate of the existing USB receiver module? If you are planning to restock, then I will grab one. This is my preferred option, to be able to stack it with your MUX module. If you are not planning to restock, then I will build myself one of AMB's Gamma1 boards in USB-to-SPDIF form.

Thirdly, and back to all comers. Does anybody have a drawing showing the dimensions of the square cutout and screw hole required for the TPA Toslink module? I have searched fairly extensively and can find plenty of info on electrical characteristics, but can't for the life of me find any physical info.

Thanks everyone! :)

Beefy said:
And finally, what I hope to be the last set of inane questions I have to ask...... :smash:

Firstly, open to all comers. Can anybody please tell me what length standoff is included with the TPA kits for stacking the boards? I am guessing between 0.5 and 0.75 inches would be fine, but confirmation would be handy.

Secondly, to Russ and Brian specifically. Has a decision been made regarding the fate of the existing USB receiver module? If you are planning to restock, then I will grab one. This is my preferred option, to be able to stack it with your MUX module. If you are not planning to restock, then I will build myself one of AMB's Gamma1 boards in USB-to-SPDIF form.

Thirdly, and back to all comers. Does anybody have a drawing showing the dimensions of the square cutout and screw hole required for the TPA Toslink module? I have searched fairly extensively and can find plenty of info on electrical characteristics, but can't for the life of me find any physical info.

Thanks everyone! :)

All base standoffs (F-F) are .5". Stacking (M-F) are .625". Both are .25" diameter and 4-40 threaded (included screws are .25" 4-40).

We are probably going to go with a small panel mount version of the USB module rather than the full size board. It can mount over, under or beside a Toslink or RCA jack with two 4-40 screws. It will output S/PDIF and I2S but not have line outputs and will be USB buss powered. It will be small, but dimensions are not final.

Torx connector: http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/Toshiba PDFs/TORX142L.pdf

Ground again

I got my Buffalo32S last week and make it sing couple days ago. Wow, they sound great right out of the box. I have one question about grounding.

Currently, I connect both AGND and GND into one point at my box and then connect to ground at AC line.

I just read the tread and found that the recommended method is to connect ground by shorting L1 and L2. If I do that where should I make connection from the board to the box ground.

Re: Ground again

WT said:
I got my Buffalo32S last week and make it sing couple days ago. Wow, they sound great right out of the box. I have one question about grounding.

Currently, I connect both AGND and GND into one point at my box and then connect to ground at AC line.

I just read the tread and found that the recommended method is to connect ground by shorting L1 and L2. If I do that where should I make connection from the board to the box ground.

I usually don't connect the cct GND to mains GND. But if you do so, I would do it at the PSs as close as possible..

khundude said:
Hey TP guys,

I know you are busy... I was looking at the "tweaker's layout" and think it is great if you make holes where the caps are(caps can stay) for through hole mounting. Also, would it be possible to have a jumper system put on the board so that the outputs can be summed closer to the DAC? Other than that, Could you hurry. LOL. Seriously though... I am heading back to the jungle in a month and need all of the parts before I go. Just pull the trigger and get a couple boards made and I will be a BETA or whatever the other guys gets all excited about! The fact is that I need a chip mounted on a board soon and the Jkeny way might be my only option unless you guys can get yours done. I would be very happy with those changes, but I will settle for the current idea. Thanks and I hope it is soon as it is not easy or reliable to get mail where I will be.

Should this be posted in another forum to get a response due to the fact it is not exactly "Buffalo 32S?"

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Finished assembling the B32S dac. :happy2:

Great sounding, and perfect functionality.

The thump buster is neat and works nicely.

Hate I had to cut the traces to enable the output R on this beautifully made board. It should be implemented the otherway around, adding jumpers for headphone use. But R at output does make audible improvement when using the dac with preamp.

Kudos to the TP duo!

Prakit

Attachments

• b32ss.pdf
    80.8 KB · Views: 216
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.