tweaking the Fostex 206E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm listening to a audio test cd with step of 5hz for each track response from 20hz to 150hz plus one track going in 5minute from 0hz to 38hz.

But the human ears can't feel just 20-20000hz range? anyway my amplifier has a subsonic filter at 20hz.

The tops are a lot better, they don't hurt me anymore also at middle/high volume, and when I mean high I say the the concrete wall of my room are starting to vibrate.But I mind you that I'm listening just to one channel with one speaker so maybe the highs are on the other channel....

Hopefully before 25 dec I will have the second horn....

Now I put the sound aborbing material as shown in fostex project, the sound is now improved there's no more confusion in middle frequencies. Especially after the insertion of a thin layer behind the driver, the ones on the bottom of the horn didn't produced any changes to my ears.

Now I have a question about costruction

1)What's the effect on sound if there's a hole or fissure, small or big, in the horn's pipe?

2)Can I seal it with silicone?

3)My friend want to build it with chipboard? is it good?

PS
My friend has now 2 big 82 liters floorstanding with 2 FE206E drivers for each one in bass reflex:D

Yes, you can seal the hole with sillicone, s long as it's not too large. Holes in horns are bad news as it messes up the entire loading. Seal it quick!

Your friend has 206s in 82 litre cabinets. From your descripion, methinks that sounds ominously like a Common Sense Audio box. They have their own way of doing things, which is fair enough -to each their own and all that, but it's not a method I would ever recommend myself. Tell your friend to do himself a favourand get two of them into a pair of horns. It's what these drivers are best at. Either the 208 cabinet, or Ron's Dallas II. Possibly Bruce V1.1 if he's got the room, though the chamber would need some damping. Chipboard is probably a better bet than MDF for horns as it stores less energy. Ply is preferable though.

If he's got a couple of drivers left over, stick them into Martin King's MLTL design, available at www.quarter-wave.com Both will blow those big reflex boxes into the weeds. Especially if the current enclosures have both drivers mounted on the front panel (bad idea).

Holes in horns are bad news as it messes up the entire loading. Seal it quick!

Oh fortunately it's not my problem, it's my friend's problem because he has some panels of chipboard he wants tu cut on his own and so fissure and holes are to be expected:rolleyes:

But let's say that there's a hole, does it mean the bass is less for ignorant man like me?

From your descripion, methinks that sounds ominously like a Common Sense Audio box.

No, absolutly not. He took 4 fe206e and he did it with winisd, simply not? And the frequency response si quite linear in the voices frequency but with absoluty no bass.

The 2 remaining driver will go as front channel in my firned's HT system with my old 45L BR box, and not for free:devilr:

my friend finished the horns with chipboard. We didn't have enough wood so no double panel on the side on the rear and on the bottom:D

They're very heavy, more than I thought, that chipboard quality is very good, also no cutted angles.

They sound is fantastic but it's quite different from mine.

They have total control over the bass, while mine has an abundant dose of bass someway softer( more rounded don't know how to say) that stays in the air but wich I like because I found it very musical.

The highs are as they were before in BR boxes, at high volume they hurt a little bit. My friend said he putted a lot of absorbing material behind the driver so the voices were less chesty than mine, but anyway perfect.

At the end they're perfect, a very big change, he don't need more the the sub (he got an enourmous sub of 170liters with 15inch driver wich sound very good).

At the and he's happy like a hippy!:D

Amplifier: Harman Kardon HK670, also the cd player is HK
Room: very small, and with some metallic eco.

My amplifier: DB technologies MT530, Onkyo cd player.

Always nice to hear when people get something they really like. Great stuff! Can't say I'm surprised he doesn't feel the need for a sub either.

Probably not to your taste, but worth trying. Little trick I learned from NickG, 211 valve-amp maestro and all-round good bloke.

Stage 1) The Metallica Double CD Live album, recorded with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra. It's pretty cheap. Grab a copy.

Stage 2) Select track one of the second disk

Stage 3) Crank the volume up

Stage 4) Take a very deep breath.

Stage 5) Press 'play'

Stage 6) Cackle insanely.

This is a full-range recording, with titanic power and scale in the LF, mostly from the orchestra, and very few speakers, let alone FR speakers, can pull it off. These can. The floor will be shaking. And I don't mean 'tremble'. I mean shake. You can feel the huge quantity of air being moved against your chest -quite an eerie feeling at home, from FR drivers.

Chipboard (particle board) isn't as bad as all that -it releases energy quite quickly, unlike MDF, so it's not a bad choice at all for horns. Cheap too.

To Scottmoose:I've been refered to you by Martin King on the horn subject. After following your comments on the several forums on the subject I decided to buid the 208ESigma cabinet for the 206E speaker as per your opinion. I understand that this combination brings out of the system a very precise reproduction of orchestral pieces ( classics, Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, ..) and jazz. Right?
My question concerns the sound absorbents used since down here in Brazil they are probably unavailable. Which ones to be used behind the speakers (glued to it?) and in the recommended locations inside the cabinet? Thanks a lot.

It should do a very good job indeed. There are several of these cabinets with the 206 in existance now, and the builders are all extremely satisfied.

Re damping materials, there are a few things you could try. Lightweight carpet, or a good carpet underlay are usually pretty effective. Chances are you won't need much in the chamber -just enough to prevent reflections back through the cone. And a light layer around the base and up the front wall will help reduce some harmonic ripple. They don't have a great deal, and this appears to flatten it out nicely.

You can damp the rear of the magnet and basket with something like ductseal, or caulking. Worth doing. Dave (Planet10) is the best person to ask for advise on this side of things as he's been tweaking drivers for the past 20 years or so.

Regards
Scott

Scottmoose: I want to thank you again for your assurance on this matter of horns for Fostex speakers. I will proceed as suggested and will post as soon as I have news (by the way I appreciated the construction photos posted by testarossa2k- some more construction details will be of good value). Seasons Greetings.

here's the pic of the second born
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

the first
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

show us Forza Italia
During the world champ I had the flag out of the house but during the night some drunken people stole it . But that it's ok...

I have to say that positioning 2 speaker it's harder than with one, because the fostex are very direct in the highs.The volume now is a higher also...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.