Tweaking FE208 sigma BIB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
>>> It comes from both drivers, which have no obvious damage, although I bought them used (lightly) here on DIY audio with phase plugs installed by someone else. Seems unlikely that any damage would be to both, but possible.

Well, it could be the plugs. Try removing one and see if the noise stops.

Before you do that you can try changing the amp just to see if it is amp related. If the noise is still there then try removing the plugs... if you still hear it then swap out drivers and see if it stops. I can relate to having kids and little time to tinker... but you must remove all the variables to figure this kind of thing out. Good luck.

Zilla

So this morning, with not the fostex, but the Hemp FR8.0s installed (which have Planet 10 phase plugs) I put on "Raising Sand' the Robert Plant/Allyson Kraus compilation, generally regarded as an excellent recording.

Sounds terrible! no change without the phase plugs.

So. Doubt a speaker problem. I bet I have an issue with my amp. Doesn't surprise me too much. It died a month back and I replaced a 10W power resistor (I forget where in the PS circuit it was) but maybe that threw a bunch of other things out of whack. Something was wrong enough to damage a 10W resistor and all I had was a 20W replacement, so something still may be wrong.

When i have time I will try another amp.

Thanks for all the input. At least, so far, it looks like I didn't make a screwed up set of speakers ;-)

Glad it's not the speakers! But that sucks about the amp. If you dont have a spare buy a cheap T-amp and test.

Problem is, I have too many...:rolleyes:

Oh, and I have two build projects going, a PPEL34 and a SE300b...:eek:

The problematic KT88 was a project buy anyway. It had been playing well, to my surprise, so I had just been sticking with it, but it is a point to point rats nest inside. My guess is that it is a little like trying to run 400V through a wad of steel wool, something is getting too close to something in there. Lots of learning to get by cleaning it up. Just happens to be my coolest looking amp at the moment though. Seems important to the wife...:confused:

Hello,
tubes work best if the impedanz of the speaker is linear,
When the imp of a crossover gets to low the amp makes extrem distortion
listenable by the speaker.

What is the "imp" of a crossover?

Many people use these drivers and speakers with tubes and seem to have no trouble, so I really do not think it is a fundamental design problem (for the speaker or for the tube amp).

I certainly could have made an error with the crossover, however, so i am open to learning and appreciate the input. I just am not so savvy with the shorthand lingo...:eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.