Tweaking FE208 sigma BIB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does it not seem reasonable then that the inverse is the best way to reproduce the product of your labors?

Hi GM, yes, you are of course absolutely right -- having the amp turned up means more dynamic range is possible. *slaps forehead* Der...

Here's why I was thinking a "software volume" reduces resolution. If you have 22,500 samples per second, and you have 16 bits, then maximum amplitude is 16 1's: 1111111111111111. When you turn down the (presumably digital) volume, maximum amplitude is now (let's say) just 12 1's: 1111111111110000. So that's now no better than 12-bit audio.

However, it seems possible that the soundcard's "software volume" might ultimately be analog, not digital? If true, that would explain why turning down the soundcard's "software volume" sounds better than turning down the media player's (pure digital) volume, because no bits are thrown away?

The morel of the story is that if your DAC can handle 24 bits, up convert to 24 bits in your music player, run you music player volume to max (and the OS volume if still in play), set the volume on your (Pre)amp just a little louder than you can stand and then control the volume within the music player. You will never hear any degradation.

Bob

So what if my DAC only takes 16 bits?

So what if my DAC only takes 16 bits?

Do it exactly the same but without the up-sampling. There is the technical angle -- as you drop of bits, you move more and more of the sample into the noise floor. Detail is lost. Then there is the practical angle -- how high is the noise floor in YOUR room compared to the noise floor on the recording. As the music gets softer, more detail gets covered up by noise. Basically, even with 16 bit recordings, you will not hear the difference between digital and analog volume control with less than a 10dB cut, and remember that 10dB cut means 1/2 as loud.

Bob

So, I figured out it may not be the imac and the sound out. I have been using an additional program called AudioHijack pro which hijacks the output of the computer and can run it through any number of processors, in my case a 31 band digital equalizer.

I have been using rudimentary RTA on the iPhone and the equalizer to near flatten the room response.

This seemed to work well on the mac mini and my less sensitive speakers. I also adhered better to the "don't amplify with an equalizer" adage.

With the new more sensitive speakers and my aggressive equalization based on overconfidence and ignorance, I think I boosted the signal way to much.

I am working to do this right again, but it is hard to find time to run sweeps and play pink noise with a sleeping baby.

Any other suggestions for this type of signal processing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.