• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Turntable platter for the 2008 Maxon group buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Teres Bearing and platter

Ok, there was a little miscommunication with Chris and I, but seem to be moving forward this was his reply :

Yes, I would be interested in participating. I do not have firm prices but I suspect that with an order of 20 units that the price would be roughly $170.

As for platters the process for building wood platters is quite difficult and frankly I would not recommend it. Our new composite platter is the equal of a hardwood platter and far simpler and more economical to build. For us the most difficult part of production for this platter is the finishing. If there is interest I would be willing to help put together a group purchase for unfinished composite platters. So I would hope to get some kind of idea of price range for the platter before gaging interest .

Bill

That price was just approximation for the bearing, he has yet to quote the platter. The platter he is proposing is composite blank - It would require finishing and machining for the bearing. I will try to get him to give me more definitive pricing so I can propose an offering. Sorry for the delay but I am working around his timetable.

Bill

VPI pricing is pretty decent if platters are what I'm thinking they are. VPI made so many different platters under each model names and it is impossible to know which exact platter these are w/o exact picture of platter they are going to supply us for group buy. I'm assuming HR-X platter is the Super Platter and TNT platter is the Aries Platter.... Even VPI website has it all mixed up including the details on these.

Why don't we wait until we get more details on Teres platter(what additional work needs to be done, pricing, etc) before pursuing VPI route? It is great that we have a choice on this.

Teres Bearing and platter

OK,
Chris has gotten back to me and this is his offer I will quote :

I am going to commit to a price of $175 for a group order of 20
> bearings. This would include the complete bearing assembly with:
>
> bearing shaft
> bearing housing
> centering pin
> ball bearing
> thrust plate
> mounting nut
>
> If orders exceed 20 then I can reduce the price accordingly.
>
> For platters I worked up a quantity 10 price of $605 for an unfinished
> black composite platter, loaded with lead shot and machined. Again if
> we can increase the order size the price would be lower. The price for
> platters would be less affected by quantity since the material cost is
> much higher than with bearings.
>
> I need to also add a caveat that the delivery time for bearings and
> platters may be a bit long. If we get busy then the group order goes
> on the back burner.

Chris

Here is a link to the platter he is offering http://www.teresaudio.com/i_cplatter.html

It is machined for the bearing however it lacks finishing on the outer portion. I will be gone this weekend but you guys can mull it around. If sufficient interest lies in this direction I will start a new thread.

Bill

nameci said:
VPI pricing is pretty decent if platters are what I'm thinking they are. VPI made so many different platters under each model names and it is impossible to know which exact platter these are w/o exact picture of platter they are going to supply us for group buy. I'm assuming HR-X platter is the Super Platter and TNT platter is the Aries Platter.... Even VPI website has it all mixed up including the details on these.

Why don't we wait until we get more details on Teres platter(what additional work needs to be done, pricing, etc) before pursuing VPI route? It is great that we have a choice on this.

I'm pretty sure that both of these are "super platters", especially when we look at the weight. According to the VPI website, the HR-X changes the size of the bearing assembly.

VPI is now taking orders on the new 25 pound "super platter" with matching inverted bearing. The "super platter" can be ordered directly from VPI or any one of its many authorized VPI dealers. This platter is the most advanced platter VPI has ever made and of course, it is compatible with the VPI Periphery ring. Made from an acrylic/stainless/acrylic sandwich (just like the HRX chassis) and weighing in at 25Lbs this is a big bad platter upgrade and will fit all VPI turntables EXCEPT for the HRX. This platter has better bass performance, will fit the periphery ring, is ultra quiet, and has more stability, great slam, and power. Yes, it will fit the HW-19 series, all Aries, all Scouts, Scoutmasters, and SuperScoutmaster. It’ll even fit all the previous 20 years of TNT’s, just not the HRX which has a larger diameter bearing assembly and has its own optional HRX super platter.

ps. That's more than a 50% discount. wow.

Re: Teres Bearing and platter

wirewiggler said:
OK,
Chris has gotten back to me and this is his offer I will quote :

I am going to commit to a price of $175 for a group order of 20
> bearings. This would include the complete bearing assembly with:
>
> bearing shaft
> bearing housing
> centering pin
> ball bearing
> thrust plate
> mounting nut
>
> If orders exceed 20 then I can reduce the price accordingly.

Bill

Hi Bill, that sounds really good, please put me down for one Teres bearing and thank you!

Stan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.