• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Turntable platter for the 2008 Maxon group buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Chris stated his supplier required a minimum order to machine any more bearings. He was willing to purchase a few for Teres to help make the minimum order. He has yet to tell me how many or how much. I might add he was very gracious and willing to support DIY efforts, but I am trying not alienate him by creating a conflict with what he may consider potential sales.

Bill

I completely understand why you are treading lightly. I'd bet Chris won't have any problems with something like this considering that DIY types aren't going to be customers of his completed products and a sale is a sale in the business world. Whether that's components or finished goods is less important than cash coming in. :)

Chris got back to me last weekend (he only reply s on weekends). He indicated we would need to purchase 20 bearings to make a min order for bearings, he did not quote a price for the bearings. I asked him for a quote on the bearings. He also stated he was not interested in selling platters, however he would offer technical help in constructing them. When he gives me a quote I will let you guys know. If there is enough interest I or Pixelplay (he did start this thread) will offer a group buy for the bearing.

Bill

As another option, if we wanted to design our own bearings for this sort of project, I have high precision prototype machining contacts (most of my family works in or with prototype job shops). If we can come up with a design, a drawing in some widely used format, and a material list, I'd be glad to get quotes. I don't have any sort of CAD software, so I'd have to rely on someone else to provide a detailed drawing.

Just something to consider...

Thank you all for your ideas and contribution to this thread. I think that we need to look at all ideas. The reason for starting this thread was to find the best options for both the bearing and the platter. I have no problem as to who actually starts the group buy, I merely want to get the topic out there and for us all to contribute where we can and for us all to be happy with the outcome.

Cheers
Greg

VPI group by

Hi,

I have been in contact with VPI industries regarding a group by of one of there platter's and bearing configurations. They are interested in selling to us and would like to know how many people would be interested.
They are offering two types of configurations:
1. The TNT acrylic platter (1.5") and inverted bearing. Weighs approx 31 lbs. Retails for around $700. http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HW-A1217

2. The HRX platter and inverted bearing. This is considered there new supper platter and reatils for around $1,200 including inverted bearing.
http://www.vpiindustries.com/product_supplatter.htm

From talking to mark it would appear that the TNT version would be better for our DIY group needs as it is substantially easier to manufacture and cost correspondingly less.

Before VPI can give us a final price they would like to know how many people would be interested in this group by. Please email me directly to let me know if you are interested so i can get back to the group regarding cost.

Cheers
Neil

I think what you are seeing is that alot of people like myself don't know if I should be interested or not. For me it all hinges on what the price is. I have been watching and am interested, but don't want to lead the group on to then back out when I get sticker shock.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.