• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Turntable platter for the 2008 Maxon group buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone have experience working with acrylic and the speeds/tooling necessary to work on it? My brother has a relatively nice machine shop with some precision equipment. If someone could enlighten me, I would run it past him to get an idea on cost.

If the 12 1/16" dimension is trustworthy, there would be no problem at all with the precision. We are talking about tools accurate to tens of microns and with the right grinding materials, quite a bit better than that.

Also, 300mm = ~11.8", so we have some wiggle room anyway.

EDIT: Looks like about 150 IPM and about half the RPM of typical wood and they make a special tool for acrylic to minimize melting.

Hi to all,the VPI super platter is nice,but I wasn't able to find a picture of the inverted bearing on the VPI website.I like to see a close up view of it.I really like the Teres bearing ,if the VPI bearing is anything like the Teres ,then I am all for it.

Pixelplay ,the Scheu prices are significant,we must pay shipping on top of that! The combined price for the Scheu 80mm platter and bearing is 785 Euro ,I did a currency conversion to Canadian dollars ,and it comes up to $1250 before shipping.I am not sure what shipping costs are but at that price bracket ,I got other options available here.
It would be nice if we could make our own platters with a machinist.I am sure we would save a lot of money.

Dnewma04,if your brother has a shop ,he can probably do a prototype to see what we are up against.Basically the platter should be large enough to accomodate a record,be perfectly round and true with flat top and bottom surface.The drawing for the dimensions of the center hole that takes the bearing is up at teres website ,if we are to use the Teres bearing,which is an excellent bearing I hear.
Mark Kelly said that the platter is easier to be made on a lathe,and it makes sense .

George

:) For about $1700 I could buy a small lathe for metal work ,then I can start making platters and bearings!!!!!!!
Honestly the idea crossed my mind a few times already.Unfortunately I got no room to put the lathe nor time to spend on that idea. It would be nice though..................:cool:

Oh one other thing ,I wanted to share with you.About less than a year ago,I bought a used Sonic Frontiers cd transport,the SFT-1.It was not packed very well or wrapped in plastic prior to be placed in the carton.When I picked it up from the post office something felt loose inside,upon opening the package at home I realized that two of the 12 buttons were missing .One I found at the bottom of the box,unfortunately I was not able to find the other one.It fell through a crack at the bottom of the carton box and got lost during transit.
I called Chris Johnson at Prats Connexion,the former owner of SF ,but he had no button replacements,then I called Paradigm the new owner of SF ,they looked in the warehouse but found none.
So I took one button with me to a few shops and at one machine shop the guy,looked at it and told me he could make another one for $20 dollars.The plug button is a tiny cylindrical shaped stainless steel object with round front and a groove at the other end to accept a small rubber ring to lock it in position.
So for me 20 dollars seemed like a bargain,I was puzzled how this guy took the button out of my hand looked at it ,and went at the back of the shop and 10 minutes later came back with the existing and the new clone he had just made for me.

Regards
George

Bill
Yes I read some of it a while ago.Impressing for sure.
I e-mailed Chris less than a week ago with the intention to pay about $1700 (his advertised price on the website) for a platter and bearing.I was prepared to go for the bearing first and then save up and swing for the platter.
He suprised me with his response."We decided not to sell platters alone anymore.we had some stock but it was sold out,sorry"
Maybe somebody else can help by approaching the guy with a group buy deal,maybe he will change his mind.

In fact, I have heard that Teres maybe scrapping the design for one that is significantly different. It might be worth an email to see if the design can be turned over to DIYers for projects like this. Since his company was founded from a DIY effort, he may be open to such things.

I have opened a dialog with Cris with Teres, he said we would need to order a quantity to make a producton run. I told him with the amount of motors and controlers I would hope to get at least 30. let me know how much interst there is I will need to have some idea of quantity to get any kind of quote.

Bill

Bill
Thanks for taking the initiative to approach Chris Brady .I was pricing a platter and magnetic/ceramic bearing from Clearaudio with a local dealer,but the quote was crazy expensive.
The Teres bearing and platter is my all time favorites.Count me in for Teres platter,bearing and clamp.
regards
George

I only initially approached Chris with interest in the bearing. Teres is in the process of discontinuing use of the bearing, and I felt Chris would be open to allowing a group purchase because it would not threaten any potential sales for him. As far as platters and other purchases I thought I would address them secondly. I will see how many we need to make a minimum order for the bearing, and if he has any interest in group sales for any of his other products.

Bill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.