• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Tube-I-zator Professional PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Funny that Lukasz Fikus is trusted by so many of us to have discovered a miracle output stage when he has made so many mistakes.

I am reassured by your listening impressions, Oliver, and quite excited to hear it. To build this, I sold my DAC, so am now listening to my excellent system through a horrid Sony minidisc player, used as a dac, with a distinctly op-amp sound. Yeurch! My hi-fi has never sounded so horrible, if I'm honest. All good motivation :D

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Funny that Lukasz Fikus is trusted by so many of us to have discovered a miracle output stage when he has made so many mistakes.

Hey, i don´t said that he made any mistake with his I/V resistor value!

If you read his Lampizator doc. :magnify: you see, that his R I/V values are with tolerances between +10/-50%.
So we are pretty good in that window. ;)

Sure, I really don't mean to criticise him, as I find his site perhaps the most honest, readable and interesting personal hi-fi site I have found on the web, and I am sure this circuit is very good indeed, but surely he will be inviting distortion with such a high i/v value and output voltage, no?

Hi Salas. Thanks for responding.

Is R1 the current adjust resistor? Resistor numbers are not noted on the PCB, nor do we have a schematic in this thread. I have just looked at your HV shunt thread to check, and it seems that the schematic shows R1 to be a current adjust, but that it should be a 1W resistor, and also that the mosfet is an IRFP9240, whereas this one is using a 9610, like I already said, so I can only refer you to Oliver's PCB photos on page 20 of this thread.

Current adjust is an audio type 1/4 watt PRP, rated at 56R with 1.855v across it.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas. Thanks for responding.

Is R1 the current adjust resistor? Resistor numbers are not noted on the PCB, nor do we have a schematic in this thread. I have just looked at your HV shunt thread to check, and it seems that the schematic shows R1 to be a current adjust, but that it should be a 1W resistor, and also that the mosfet is an IRFP9240, whereas this one is using a 9610, like I already said, so I can only refer you to Oliver's PCB photos on page 20 of this thread.

Current adjust is an audio type 1/4 watt PRP, rated at 56R with 1.855v across it.

Correction - had it on for about an hour now - fairly warm, so no worries, but nowhere near as toasty as the other transistor (840), which I am feeling may need a bigger sink for longevity. Photos coming...

That is R1, and the 9610 is indeed in the newer schematic. If it is running low current like 40mA even 1/4W will do. 1W is there because R1 maybe chosen for whatever current. You should always allow 25mA for staying in the reg above your top consumption in the served audio circuit. ICCS=VR1/R1. Now you got 33mA. The 9610 has 30V across as you report when the 840 has 150V. Guess which one owes to be hotter. The 840 will be significantly less hot when the reg will be loaded and the shunt current will be routed to the load for its most part. Know your full consumption+25mA and choose R1 for each application in brief.

Thanks again Salas.

So, if I am pulling 33mA with this 56R:

Allowing 25mA for the shunts gives me 8mA for the both tubes, which is good I think - this is current to voltage buffer tube, and if I remember correctly it only pulls about 3mA per channel.

I will re-sink that 840 though. :hot:

Here's some nice pics of losing my tubes virginity:

TDA1541A_DAC_8.jpg
[/IMG]

TDA1541A_DAC_7.jpg

TDA1541A_DAC_6.jpg

TDA1541A_DAC_2.jpg

Last edited:
a little update: just swapped the boards, same exact results, adjusting the trimmer result in the same behaviour (Vin=Vout-2v approx.)
any ideas??? i followed exactly the print on the pcb for components positioning.. i'll post a close up, perhaps i'm missing something...

edit: added pics

Attachments

• DSCF6670.JPG
    DSCF6670.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 315
  • DSCF6671.JPG
    DSCF6671.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 146
  • DSCF6672.JPG
    DSCF6672.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.