• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Tube-I-zator Professional PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can I take that last I/V board then please Oliver.

Funny, I bought the last DCB1 Blue Edition and the last of the 400x TDA1541a from the eBay seller you recommended too.

I would like a TDA1541a board too please. How do I pay for them please?

My plan is to use the 2x hypno boards I have spare for the shunt regs, in hot-rod mode at about 400mA. I will separate the ground lines, so to isolate each side of the reg and keep them separate for optimum quality.

I intend to point to point my caps to the regs with a few less caps than you have used, like about 6x 2,200uF (13,200uF) Panasonic FC per reg channel (24 caps (52,800uF) in total across the 4x channels). Do you foresee any problems with that? On paper, it should still be considered suitably over-engineered, even though it is much less than you have used in your reference DAC. I will probably use 2x R-core transformers from eBay and a toroidal for the tube to power it all up. Sound like a good plan to you?

Many thanks

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Can I take that last I/V board then please Oliver.

Funny, I bought the last DCB1 Blue Edition and the last of the 400x TDA1541a from the eBay seller you recommended too.

I would like a TDA1541a board too please. How do I pay for them please?

My plan is to use the 2x hypno boards I have spare for the shunt regs, in hot-rod mode at about 400mA. I will separate the ground lines, so to isolate each side of the reg and keep them separate for optimum quality.

I intend to point to point my caps to the regs with a few less caps than you have used, like about 6x 2,200uF (13,200uF) Panasonic FC per reg channel (24 caps (52,800uF) in total across the 4x channels). Do you foresee any problems with that? On paper, it should still be considered suitably over-engineered, even though it is much less than you have used in your reference DAC. I will probably use 2x R-core transformers from eBay and a toroidal for the tube to power it all up. Sound like a good plan to you?

Many thanks

Hi Lucas,

your idea with the hypno´s are cool! Surely you could use a bit less capacitance than on my Reference DAC. Also the R-Cores are great! :)

At the moment the TDA1541A V2.3 modules are completely sold out. The next batch depends on the pre orders, but i have still three V2.2 modules in stock.

That are the same modules (seen on my pictures from my Reference DAC). You must only connect the two GND-Lines together and lift two pins from the 74HC02.

Would you like to order one of these? I need your paypal address to send you the invoice.

Best regards,
Oliver

Thanks for you reply Oliver, and encouragement for my plan.

Are you selling the last of the V2.2s at the same price? The 74HC02 routing looks quite different on the two PCBs. Is it really just the two pins that need changing, ground lined putting in place and piggybacking the two resistors? I wouldn't want things to be much more complicated than they need be, as I do not understand the circuit yet really.

I have PMed you my Paypal address

Lucas

Hi Oliver, finally i've managed to assemble test and run the board.. it works!:D
just a question about HT voltage: the transformer you suggested is 165v output, which became about 230v once filtered.. i think we're over maximum cathode to heater voltage (100v from the datasheet).
At which voltage do you run your tubeizator? working point (bias, voltage, current) with the Rk=200 you suggested?
any comments?

thanks

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Oliver, finally i've managed to assemble test and run the board.. it works!:D
just a question about HT voltage: the transformer you suggested is 165v output, which became about 230v once filtered.. i think we're over maximum cathode to heater voltage (100v from the datasheet).
At which voltage do you run your tubeizator? working point (bias, voltage, current) with the Rk=200 you suggested?
any comments?

thanks

Hi Tfan69,

perfect!

I use a B+ of ~170V for the 6N2P and measure ~80Vkh.
165VAC is much...How is your Vkh?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
B+ shunt upgrade module

My last thoughts to optimize the Tube-I-zator goes to the B+ High Voltage lines.
To get the maximum flexibility, i have made splitting points in the lines.
The splitting of the anode psu lines brings upgrades possibilities.

You could use e.g. a tube rectifier with C-R-C filter instead of the onboard andoe psu or
switch to a regulated shunt psu, witch in my mind brings the greater sound quality upgrade.

With the experiences from Salas low voltage shunt on my DAC project in mind, :cloud9:
i have made an upgrade module for the Tube-I-zator based on his HV shunt circuit design.

Here it is

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The first power up runs perfect!

After a light output voltage drift in the first minutes, it stand´s solid at the wanted 150V voltage (Input 170V).

In my case the two 6N2P tubes need´s ~3mA together, so i stay with the 56R current adj. resistor.
This value brings ~35mA on the shunt. Perfect for this environment.

To get a stable input voltage of 170VDC (for ~35mA), i need a 150VAC tap on my transformer.
In my case with a 470µF-1K-220µF C-R-C filter onboard.

As you see, the second R-C line is not in the circuit because of the desoldered 1K resistor. I don´t need this line anymore.
The two bridges (TB1 & TB2) are removed.
From the onboard anode psu (brown cable) the B+ voltage goes to Salas HV-Shunt input and the output back to the onboard circuit (blue cable).
Here we must only insert a new bridge (yellow cable), because the shunt regulator drive both tubes.
The black cable is the GND line to the shunt reg.

Here the integrated Salas HV-Shunt module

And the result....:eek:

... an absolute H O L O G R A P H I C playback!
The sound image is so perfect, better than any experiences before.

Also the possibility to reproduce great dynamic jumps is better than ever.

As i played my favorite dynamic test track "Fanfare for the common man" from the FIM Super Sounds! III CD, a XRCD24 recording, :yikes:
it blow me out of my chair!

I think that was the last peace to heaven...:p

A big :hug: to Salas for this wonderful circuit.​

Joined 2009
Paid Member
nice one.. are you going to sell these boards oliver?

I don´t have an additional GB in my mind, that´s why i have only made 15 pcs.
One is on my board an i will hold two additional pcs.

One goes to the Mastermind Salas. :worship:

So i have 11 pcs. to sold. The specifications are:

- 2mm pcb
- Immersion Gold
- green soldermask on both side
- 70µm copper weight
- Board size 46mm x 133mm

The price is:

HV Shunt regulator Module: $ 14

Worldwide shipping: $ 9
Europe shipping: $ 5
paypal fee: 3,9%

The prices will include (as always) a donation of $3 USD to diyAudio for every pcb sold.

i have to correct myself, transformers output is 180Vac, measured, B+ is 246v, way too much..
thinking about adding two drop resistor in the B+ rails.. but 70v drop is not easy to do without dissipation problems...

That´s right.

If you want to use the HV shunt with a ~35mA setting, your input voltage will drop to ~210VDC,
minus Salas recommended 20V input/output diff. we are at 190V B+.

So if you set the B+ output voltage to 170V (my previous B+ voltage), you have an input/output diff. of ~40V.
In this case you should use a bigger heat sink.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.