Tripath Input Coupling Caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: FWM

Garytr said:
Dave/Keith, could you please confirm the specs of the FWM cap bypass?
Flourinert Russian Teflon v? .1uf
Wima film 63v .01uf
Silver Mica v? 30pf
Seems to me the capacitance is way too low, am I missing something here? The B.G.? :scratch1:
Gary

The Flourinert Russian Teflons are 200 volt.
I do not have a voltage rating for the micas.

The capacitance is based on common bypass methology. i.e. that the bypass cap should "generally" be 10% of the value being bypassed.

Blackgate Bypass

The initial cap being bypassed is the Blackgate electrolytic as you specified. The bypass cap is the 0.1 μf Flourinert.

The Flourinert cap is being bypassed by the WIMA 0.01 μf film cap.

The WIMA cap is being bypassed by the 30 pf mica.

The mica could subsequently be bypassed; and the mica bypass cap could be bypassed; etc, etc.

Blackgate Coupling Cap

You've got it. In this series of test the Blackgate electrolytic is the input coupling cap. The bypass caps FWM, etc. are the caps that are augmenting the value of the Blackgate. These augmentations are what is being tested. The Blackgate is the constant.

The Blackgate may be used without the bypasses.

Hi Dave,
is there any chance you could try the 2.2uf BlackGate N instead of the PK.
Peter Daniel uses them exclusively without any bypass after using for a while the Simens/Epcos that Dweekie send you.
I use the 2.2 BlackGate N with the 30pf Silvermica and it is so far the second best combination I have tried. The best was this very combination plus a Siemens Sikorel 220uf but this gave me a huge turn on thump. Even the Sikorel by itself is better than the expensive AuriCaps I have.
All the BlackGates are in the plastic bag. There are also two of the mentioned MKP 1837 in the bag but as 0.1uf value. (blue square ones)
The Wimas you use are not as good as the orange cubes KP 0.056uf or the steel blue radial round KP ones. Maybe you can substitute the Wimas by them to see if it sounds better in your rig?

Greets,
Klaus

Now that you mention that you send Dave the 4.7uf N, I think the ones I send him where also 4.7uf.
Dave, now that you have four of them, you can test them in superE configuration with four bypass 0.1 uf BlackGate HiQ in also in superE. With all the caps Dave has now he can test for the rest of the year. Never ending possibilities :D .
I am sure glad I don't have to do all the testing.
Dave let me tell you again that your work is really appreciated by, I think, all of us.

Dweekie I never took the time to find out in which direction the leads sounded best. I just made sure that they had the same direction.

Greets,
Klaus

Hi Dave,

The miniature (and polarised) BG 'PK' series was never intended for coupling applications, and I wouldn't use these caps anywhere in audio circuits, myself.

If you already have them, I would certainly try the non-polar BG 'N' series, which are a world apart sonically, but they don't benefit from 'heavy' bypassing in my experience.

They are excellent on their own, and will be an improvement over a lot of film caps, providing they have been burned in for a while. I found that using very small value bypasses (as I mentioned a while ago in this thread) *can* help with cleaning up the top end response of the BG 'N's, and it looks like Radian has found much the same when he uses 30pF Sil Micas.

It is circuit dependent, as always of course, but those BG 'N' caps take a lot of beating in signal-coupling applications. Just don't make any hasty judgements until they have had some hours of use, though, even if they have been burned-in previously.

Regards,

Bob,

Sorry for an OT post, but I tried to PM and e-mail with no luck. I wanted to express my personal, sincere and deep appreciation for taking your valuable time to post on this thread...you are a treasure and anyone with their wits about them will drink deep of the cool, clear water you offer here in the desert.

t (Richard)

N-Series Caps

AndrewT, Bobken, Dweekie, Radian,

I have spent considerable time today reading the micro-lettering on capacitors. Radian sent 0.47 μf and 47.0 μf N-series Blackgate capacitors. I have a few 47 N-series of my own on hand.

I am ordering a number of Blackgate 4.7 μf N series capacitors. I will, initially, do a burnt in vs non-burnt in test of these caps. Then I will apply the various bypass tests.

Following the suggestion from Andrewt, I I can substitute Panasonic and possibly some other less known electrolytics; or film caps for the Blackgates until the 4.7 N-series I have ordered arrive.

Dave,
The Blackgates I send you should be 0.1uf HiQ and 4.7uf N.
I am not sure about the value of the HiQ but there is no 47uf N.

I want to emphasize again to try the 200uf Sikorel all by itself.
No matter how silly it seems to use a 200uf lytic but It is the coupling cap (without bypassing) I like best of all I tried.

Of cours it all depends allot on the system used. Fullrange speakers usualy need different coupling caps than most multiway systems. If your system has a tweeter with a resonant peak at high frequency like most metal domes exhibit, you could not live with a cap that brings fullrange speakers to life. There are many more variables such as tube or solid state, analog or digital.
All this is to be considered, before people feel the need to go to war with someone that raves about a certain cap or a combination of caps.

Greets,
Klaus

Sikorels

Radian said:
Dave,
The Blackgates I send you should be 0.1uf HiQ and 4.7uf N.
I am not sure about the value of the HiQ but there is no 47uf N.

I want to emphasize again to try the 200uf Sikorel all by itself.
No matter how silly it seems to use a 200uf lytic but It is the coupling cap (without bypassing) I like best of all I tried.

Klaus,

Please, accept my apology for misstating which caps you sent me. The Blackgate NP is 1 μf and the HiQ was 0.47 μf.

I placed the 220 μf Sikorel in the circuit and it blew my slow blow power fuse. I replaced the fuse with a 5-ampere fuse. When I powered up the amp and switched off the mute the fuse glowed like an ember for a few seconds, then dimmed. I then adjusted the volume and I heard music. Charging a cap this large must really put a demand on the power supply. I have some 2 ampere slow-blow fuses I will try.

Any suggestions from readers as to best handle this "fuse/charging" problem would be appreciated .

I have not started the test process, but will undertake that over the next few days. I will test these and the EPCOS about the same time.

HI Gary,
I send Brend Welke an email about the Sikorel. I had send him a pair to test in his USB Dac, but he likes the 4.7uf Blackgates N a bit better. He lives in Canada.
Maybe he chimes in and gives us a bit of an impression what he
heard compared to the 4.7uf Blackgate N.

Greets,
Klaus

Sonicaps

Hi Guys,

For coupling cap I am currently using Sonicap Gen I with Gen II as a bypass (just like many recommend). They sound like clear flowing water. The price is very affordable and not out of production anytime soon :)

Sure I can send the Sikorels to Gary.
Gary PM me if you want to give them a try.

Oh and another thing (of topic) if you haven't tried the new XXHighEnd PC player you have to give it a try, it makes everything else sound like crap. You need VISTA or Windows2008 Server to get the good sound.

Cheers,
Brent

Sonicap

The Sonicaps seem to be very reasonable. Are they better than the Sikorel? What I realley need/want is to add some warmth/richness/sweetness to the sound of my Winsome Labs Mouse. This uses a Tripath TK 2050, similar to Red Wine Audio TK2051 Sig.30/30.2. The RWA used Jensen PIO caps and now has "new PIO input caps of an even higher quality". Anybody know the cap? They still look like Jensen, but foil and value could be different. The Jupiter beeswax is another option. A tube preamp will also be added.

(Off subject)
Regarding the XXHighEnd CD Player, I presently use a dedicated AMD dual core, PC I built with EAC and dbPoweramp for ripping and Foobar 2000 v 0.8.3, ASIO plug in, XP O.S., Peter Daniels custom TDA 1543 nos Dac. It's the best I have had but cannot eliminate some ticks and pops??? I am following the development of P.S.Audio's Perfect Wave Transport. A memory player with a small S.S. flash memory.
Gary :xeye:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.