Trapezoid mini Onken&Slim GR dMar-Ken builds

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sounds like your in the ballpark. Dave says 40's from the sim, so that's good.

If you look at the mfg spec it shows the dip at 1.5KHz and the peak around 10KHz exactly like you measured it. So its inherent in the design and your driver is acting exactly as the manufacturer made it. That's good. The Mark graphs looks like they were done at 1/24 or 1/48 octave so they're a bit bumpier than your 1/12 measurement.

Ahhhh yes i see! thanks for pointing that out Don!

I am still learning about what you "see" when you look at the FR, it's nice to read your thoughts as i learn from it.

If you tuned the box to a certain freq, then you should see that in the near field measurement, otherwise you have a sim or implementation problem (leaks, wrong dimensions, etc).

If your driver performance (+XO if you have one) cannot be verified by a near field measurement then you have a defective driver or implementation problem. It should be a comparable "shape" and "range" to published mfg data.

After all that, when you measure far field (all effects combined) you still might have an EQ problem with the whole system or possibly room issues. Notice the dip at 160Hz only showed up at 1m and not in the near field. Notice the peak at 10-12Khz showed up in both measurements. Sometimes minor issues will be averaged out, or masked by other effects. Your FR (less room modes) is mostly flat, has some fluctuations probably like the driver spec, and is pretty wide and probably working as intended.

Another "far field" measurement is to setup your room and measure at your listening position to see if you're getting the best sound possible at your ears. Only then would I would EQ to further even out those residual fluctuations [290, 500, 1.4Khz, 11KHz] and compare them to no EQ. Can you notice the difference?

I would add a suggestion that you may benefit more from a subwoofer than from super tweeters. At distance the small drivers may not be able to effectively drive LF into your room.

I will post the results you ask, currently burping a baby while listening to the speakers :D

Soon you will be able to change a diaper while partly still asleep, and function (more or less) with severely interrupted sleep. :D

Last edited:
if you really want to know about interrupted sleep, just ask a nursing mom

Agreed "looking at my wife”

nice work all around vishalk - the traps are a very interesting adventure.

Thank you Chris, much appreciated, this was certainly a learning experience and challenge. But i really enjoyed the build and to see it finished and working brought me great pleasure.

Just a new learning curve? At least you don't wake up in the morning to find that Microsoft has restarted your PC for you after installing the latest security upgrades. We have a couple of network devices in our office for which this can sometimes cause a connection issue.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I recently moved to a apple mac! Its not as simple as windows :confused:but looking more at imgur it allows a resize for forums.

As a Mac reseller, i have found that the greatest difficulty windozs users have adapting to the Mac is that they are looking for the hard way to do something.

The Photos ap, i believe, has the facility to shrink a picture.

And you are probably using Safari as a browser? The contextual menu — put the mouse over a link, hold the control key down, then clicking the link gives you a menu and you can select “Copy Link” — that i show you get the URL for your pictures.

dave

distortion measurements for Don

Ao8UURo.jpg

VrZcuAB.jpg

pupzQR8.jpg

1vZ6qrW.jpg

This was a remeasurement at listening distance, height and a nice volume

nBP6IXi.jpg

edit - avoid repeated images

This was a remeasurement at listening distance, height and a nice volume

Thanks Vishalk, I always appreciate personalized data collection. You rarely see the mfg post distortion figures, and I was curious about this, and your full range looks good. Most of yours is -40db from the fundamental which is good.

The overall graph looks good, only 20db/div makes it hard to see any detail. If you use 5db/div it will look bumpy but reveal more detail. More importantly "do you like the sound"?

P.S glad to see you got resizing working, less sawdust in these. ;)

edit - avoid repeated images

Think repeated images helps other diy builders, means they don't have to search through pages of posts to find some pictures. Also i couldn't delete the old post with the larger pics

Thanks Vishalk, I always appreciate personalized data collection. You rarely see the mfg post distortion figures, and I was curious about this, and your full range looks good. Most of yours is -40db from the fundamental which is good.

Glad you appreciate the data!

The overall graph looks good, only 20db/div makes it hard to see any detail. If you use 5db/div it will look bumpy but reveal more detail.

I will be sure to use 5db/div, like i said still learning about this.

More importantly "do you like the sound"?

i am currently writing my review, presently putting them through vigorous testing and doing as much listening as i can

P.S glad to see you got resizing working, less sawdust in these. ;)

:D hahaha finally!I will be figuring out what kind of finish these enclosures will have

Last edited:
thank you Vishalk

I am 1/2 way thru a trap build and the pics and info on this thread along with large amounts of help from Chris and Dave made that tough build quite a bit easier. Did you end up writing a review and did you end up using all polyfill in the Traps

thanks

Ben

You are most welcome Ben, it's a lovely and challenging build, but worth it.

I will post all the original pictures again where the silly photobucket host has got rid of them, so you can see the original build pictures.

As we speak i have them glistening music in the background, wonderful. I will have to finish build and listening review! Thanks for the reminder.

I used polyfill to line the brace, but internally i went a little different by making cushions of wool (kind of like the original tannoy lancaster speakers).
See pages 5&6 on here and you will see what i mean

Hello Vishalk

thank you i was cursing photobucket going thru your post as well. These will be my first full range speaker so I am quite curious about how they will sound. the build was quite challenging and fun I am close to final assembly but have other project commitments to do before I can get back to them. I will look for some kind of felt padding I have a lot of the poly batting but do not want to cheap out at the last minute.

thanks again

Ben

Hello Vishalk

thank you i was cursing photobucket going thru your post as well. These will be my first full range speaker so I am quite curious about how they will sound. the build was quite challenging and fun I am close to final assembly but have other project commitments to do before I can get back to them. I will look for some kind of felt padding I have a lot of the poly batting but do not want to cheap out at the last minute.

thanks again

Ben

Felt wool padding would be ideal! I forgot to mention i used a poly fill to line the back of the enclosure as it was thin and workable enough as not to block the ports, again see the build pictures.

Yes don't cheap out, and believe me you will be very pleased when you finish and put music through them, very revealing speakers and the soundstage always amazes me to the point that the speakers almost disappear, depending on your bass requirements these speakers hold there own, very controlled and breathe well. I added a subwoofer to complete the sound i was after and i am very very happy. Even the wife commented how she enjoys listening to these speakers.

Very weighty speakers and solid build, i love the look of them and kept them as they are, didn't paint or veneer them. Take your time to build them, be careful on the edge chamfer, plan, measure thrice and then plan again to cut!

How are you doing the speaker connectors? Dave or Chris didn't like my choice ;o) and what cables are using internally to wire the speakers up? cat5 cable?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.