Trapezoid mini Onken&Slim GR dMar-Ken builds

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Painting a driver, is a risky endeavor. Solvent vapour can penetrate the tape.

I made sure i put at least a few layers of special 3M blue masking tape covering every edge, the plastikote paint is a great deal easier to use and not so solvent based that it penetrates materials, its like a rubber/plastic paint. It was a light spray enough to coat the material.

Super tweeters like these would be wasted on my ears. I'm hoping you'll post your listening impressions.

BTW if you're interested I've included a link to some simple hearing test s/w. Its automatic, you just hit the space bar when you can hear the tone, so it can be done "blind". A word of caution: set your speakers levels to the low side of normal listening (do not crank it). If you can't hear it, its because "you can't hear it", do not raise the levels attempting to "fix it" otherwise you'll probably blow a tweeter. Free Hearing Test Software

Thank Don i will certainly use this!

Slim GR tests

Hi All

So had some time today to run some tests. Got Room Eq going and did some sweep tests. Please see the results below. Still trying to figure out how i can post pictures on here so you can view them on here without having to click a link!

The drop at 1.5k i believe could be due to room acoustics? I could try moving the location of testing and see if that makes a difference.

Anyway i did both left and right speakers, from the middle of the driver and from the port. You will see the results plotted over each other!

Ill do a few more tests, then i will actually have a sit down and listen to some music, bit hard at the moment with a newborn.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
uSj91al.jpg

Mike is way to close to the driver for anything over a couple hundred Hz. And for a nearfield bass measure might be too far away.

dave

PS: wouldn’t hurt to shrink the pictures to ~1000 pixels across (or down) for posting on the forum.

uSj91al.jpg

Mike is way to close to the driver for anything over a couple hundred Hz. And for a nearfield bass measure might be too far away.

dave

PS: wouldn’t hurt to shrink the pictures to ~1000 pixels across (or down) for posting on the forum.

Dave I'm still trying to figure out how to resize pictures and or post them in the forum like you do.

I have google drive and I am using imgur to post pictures.

I had the mic 4cm away both a the port and speaker. Next I will do one 1 meter away. What else would you suggest? So far its looking good!

Hi All

So had some time today to run some tests. Got Room Eq going and did some sweep tests. Please see the results below. Still trying to figure out how i can post pictures on here so you can view them on here without having to click a link!

The drop at 1.5k i believe could be due to room acoustics? I could try moving the location of testing and see if that makes a difference.

Excellent news. The near field measurements can be used to diagnose speaker problems as the near levels tend to swamp room related problems. Looks like your box is tuned to 50Hz, if that's the design intent then all is good.

The -10db dip at 1.5Khz looks like a interference null and probably not the room. Just something to note at this point, lambda is 344/1.5K = 23cm.

The +10db peak at 10K is also worth noting as it looks like a resonance. I don't know what the driver is, does it have this peak on its own?

Anyway i did both left and right speakers, from the middle of the driver and from the port. You will see the results plotted over each other!

Ill do a few more tests, then i will actually have a sit down and listen to some music, bit hard at the moment with a newborn.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

When you do the far field measurement I'm assuming you'll test on a stand away from the wall. Don't be surprised to see room modes at <100Hz that did not show in the near field.

How do they sound, compare to the earlier "snail".

Excellent news. The near field measurements can be used to diagnose speaker problems as the near levels tend to swamp room related problems. Looks like your box is tuned to 50Hz, if that's the design intent then all is good.

Excellent ill have to ask Dave at panet10 the specifics of the design

The -10db dip at 1.5Khz looks like a interference null and probably not the room. Just something to note at this point, lambda is 344/1.5K = 23cm.

hhhhmmmm is that something internal i can do? Like more bracing or wadding?

The +10db peak at 10K is also worth noting as it looks like a resonance. I don't know what the driver is, does it have this peak on its own?

Its the same driver in the snail type enclosure, mark audio alpair 7.3

Raw Drivers | Markaudio

When you do the far field measurement I'm assuming you'll test on a stand away from the wall. Don't be surprised to see room modes at <100Hz that did not show in the near field.

Yes i plan to move the speaker away from the wall on the stand and do a far field measurement, i still have to do a room measurement Donv from when you suggested it last time.

How do they sound, compare to the earlier "snail".

I have yet to test the sound, recently had a new born baby (first kid) so haven't been able to make much noise! but soon as i do i will post.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

The sims do not give a direct read out that includes the effect of the high resistance vents, but i estimate F10 in the low 40s and F6 just below 40 Hz.

hhhhmmmm is that something internal i can do? Like more bracing or wadding?

It is an artifact of the measuring technique and nothing to do with the speaker box.

dave

Sounds like your in the ballpark. Dave says 40's from the sim, so that's good.

Its the same driver in the snail type enclosure, mark audio alpair 7.3

Raw Drivers | Markaudio

If you look at the mfg spec it shows the dip at 1.5KHz and the peak around 10KHz exactly like you measured it. So its inherent in the design and your driver is acting exactly as the manufacturer made it. That's good. The Mark graphs looks like they were done at 1/24 or 1/48 octave so they're a bit bumpier than your 1/12 measurement.

Last edited:
Trapezoids pics and tests

The Trapezoids came home today all glued and nicely sanded, and they are beautiful. They are also very weighty!

POZy98F.jpg

Slim GR against Trapezoids 4cm away from driver and 1m away

lDDniLu.jpg

Slim GR and Trapezoids at Port

7N8Z2Ux.jpg

ofc9YL4.jpg

BVMSvEt.jpg

PSg4NlQ.jpg

zl7p9b9.jpg

qdZX7vm.jpg

DAGhsTn.jpg

wpk6WgT.jpg

I9cQpIP.jpg

p24hFXt.jpg

Will be doing my listening tests tomorrow! Enjoy the pics!

Nice pics and measurements.

I'm always amazed when I see the FR response of newer full range drivers. Looks like the mic is in a null from room modes at 160Hz. It looks good.

Can you post distortion (first 5 harmonics) at 1m, and the impulse response.

P.S. your pics show up as enormous, they're 8Mp. You only need maybe 1Mp for a good pic. I can see the saw dust from sanding. :)

Last edited:
Nice pics and measurements.

I'm always amazed when I see the FR response of newer full range drivers. Looks like the mic is in a null from room modes at 160Hz. It looks good.

Can you post distortion (first 5 harmonics) at 1m, and the impulse response.

P.S. your pics show up as enormous, they're 8Mp. You only need maybe 1Mp for a good pic. I can see the saw dust from sanding. :)

it's funny Don ask me to build speakers, an amplifier or take apart an iphone i have no issues, but ask me to resize pictures, post on forums i still find it a pain to do and get right! I used a really good camera for these pictures, glad you can see all the details :)

I am still learning about what you "see" when you look at the FR, it's nice to read your thoughts as i learn from it.

I will post the results you ask, currently burping a baby while listening to the speakers :D

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.