TPA3116D2 Amp

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That looks like a Lepai amp box. What will you do with all the time controls? Sure it can work but kind of waste. Also, I think the RCA and speaker terminals are part of the original PCB and not panel mounted. If you pull PCB you won't have those amenities. You can buy the bare box with jacks from Aliexpress for a little more and it is much nicer with banana terminals.

Could the Danzz YJ 2.0 Blue Board be the best sounding amplifier value EVER? We have several people report that the 3116 amp sounds very good and even gives their tube amps the run for the money. Can someone who has a nice class A amp like the F5 or similar comment on the comparison of sound quality between say the hot rodded Danzz 2.0 board and their class A amp? Something in the 25 watt to 75 watt/ch range for comparison and the type of speaker used for the comparo should be mentioned. If someone even has a nice stereo digital recorder like a Zoom mic can make a sound clip recording to post that would even be better. I think the problem may be that people who build home-heating class A amps may never give this amp a try... I know some folks who have nice class A amps, I may have to just give them one to try. :) Might ruin it for them and they won't ever look at their class A the same again? But then again, I may not know what I don't know... which is why I am asking for listening impressions and comparisons.
Thanks,
X
Below is an amazing documentary on the Power of the Placebo, aired on the CBC in October last year.
A volunteer was given water but thought he was receiving booze, see the results, incredible.
Can anyone see a connect between the Audiophile, Tweaker and the Placebo effect?;)
Brain Magic: The Power of Placebos - The Nature of Things

Below is an amazing documentary on the Power of the Placebo, aired on the CBC in October last year.
A volunteer was given water but thought he was receiving booze, see the results, incredible.
Can anyone see a connect between the Audiophile, Tweaker and the Placebo effect?;)
Brain Magic: The Power of Placebos - The Nature of Things

Seriously, WTF are you babbling about?

post-2-0-26839300-1389956978.jpg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, I have a real question and it has nothing to do with placebo effect. I suppose one could stick the Danzz blue board inside a humongous aluminum rackmount case with huge heatsink fins. Add some serious ballast weights inside to simulate the toroidal transformer. Connect some serious resistive 500 watt class electric cartridge heaters to the fins and put some cool lights and big galvanometer VU meters on the front panel. Make everything machined aluminum billet stock. Then ask an audiophile reviewer to test the thing (telling him it costs $12,000 list price). Then wait for the review to come back...

Now that is the placebo effect.

But no, I am not that evil, I just want someone who has used both to give some comments and impressions.

I am the one with the "hot rod" blue board Wolfram mentioned above. First of all I have to say, that I was not prepared to get this kind of sound from an amp for 20€ shipped. Very, very good already from the start, improving the first hours and then more the last days.
Call me impressed. Up to this one every Class D amp or the like had very good bass, sometimes good midrange, almost never good highs and sounded clearly less "natural" than my tube amps.
This one is the first doing it all and sounding very natural, dynamic and balanced even bone stock. Total steal in my book, and I don't even have the itch to swap parts, as I normally have very soon after the first tunes are played.
Unfortunately it is getting really hot with more than 20 Volt, I cannot touch the inductors at all without burning my finger, so 15 is highest. But it sounds better with some more volts. And when I leave the inputs unconnected, there is a loud noise from the speakers, the same appears when the preamp is connected, but switched off. All this doesn't seem to be normal, so I wrote to the vendor and asked what to do now. Will report back when something happens....

cheers,
Juergen

Hi
Do you use a preamp ? What are the speakers and source ? Does speaker cable type and length affect the sound?

thanks
kp93300

Received an answer fron YJ.
They recommend resoldering the joints to remove cold solder joints. Not really a great service, but I expecteed something like this.
So I did resolder, to no avail, still in Class A region:D. It just draws too much current at idle. I use a small regulated supply and the heatsink of the regulating transistor gets warm as well, which is a sign that there is some more current flowing than it should be.
But it sounds very nice, so I think of getting another one, hoping to get a cool Class D this time. At that price tag there is always a risk, but it doesn't really hurt.
A little O.T.:
Yesterday Wolfram and I carried 80W OTL mono amps into his man cave. Well, this is something else then :eek: , devastating bass, space without limit, and a sense of magic no chip amp is capable of. But these retailed for 7k, so there should be some kind of difference.
And the power bill will be painful as well....

Omitting input cap with transformer coupling

Does anybody know if it is possible to bypass the input caps, if the TPA3116 is fed the balanced output of a transformer volume control?

The datasheet says that both +ve and -ve inputs in each channel are biased at 3V which I cannot understand.

Many thanks in advance.
Giulio

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I believe it was Saturnus that proposed that the chip starts to sound stressed above 21V. Later, McDark supported this and said that he preferred a 12V power supply, regardless of type.

I think the preferred voltage for best sound quality is between 19v to 21v, and should not exceed 21v. People have said that a big 6 amp linear power supply sounds better. Many of us use SMPS laptop bricks at 19v - I think that is the defacto ps. Ultimate sound quality I would imagine will come from a battery. But then you are limited to either 12 volts or 24 volts.

My linear regulated 12v 1a plug type psu does the job just fine. At my usual listening levels it rarely consumes more than 2.2W according to wattmeter it constantly plugged in. You could probably be surprised how loud it sounds at say 5w. My speakers are alpair7.3 (88 dB afair). So these 21v 3a bricks are overkill for me as I found them less pleasant compared to battery or linear supply.

Giulio, it should work.

Last edited:
Yes, I have a real question and it has nothing to do with placebo effect. I suppose one could stick the Danzz blue board inside a humongous aluminum rackmount case with huge heatsink fins. Add some serious ballast weights inside to simulate the toroidal transformer. Connect some serious resistive 500 watt class electric cartridge heaters to the fins and put some cool lights and big galvanometer VU meters on the front panel. Make everything machined aluminum billet stock. Then ask an audiophile reviewer to test the thing (telling him it costs $12,000 list price). Then wait for the review to come back...

Now that is the placebo effect.

But no, I am not that evil, I just want someone who has used both to give some comments and impressions.

Kimber Select KS-6068 : Kimber have introduced three new Select...

But then you are limited to either 12 volts or 24 volts.

Or any other voltage that is a multiple of the cell voltage. For example, 6 LiFePO4 cells in series is 19.2V nominal. I'd consider LiFePO4 the optimum battery for this use. Very high discharge rates, completely safe, almost completely noise free (much lower than lead acid batteries), very cheap in the sense they last a life time as they can handle 2000+ deep cycles (10-100 times more than any other battery types) before any significant loss of capacity.

Last edited:
Does anybody know if it is possible to bypass the input caps, if the TPA3116 is fed the balanced output of a transformer volume control?

The datasheet says that both +ve and -ve inputs in each channel are biased at 3V which I cannot understand.

Many thanks in advance.
Giulio
Biased at 3V means that there will be 3 volts DC on the inputs to the IC, which is why input capacitors are required. I don't think you want your transformer volume control to be biased as well, keep the caps. Or replace them, if you really think it will make a difference. I don't think it will, unless they're very expensive, in which case the placebo effect will kick in and it will sound much, much better.