TPA3116D2 Amp

Can anyone confirm the power rail capacitor OSCON is 25SEPF330M and Digikey number is P16323-ND please? I did search this thread using the digikey part number and got no hit. The pic on digikey website is different than those from you guys' picture.

Thanks.
-AC

I get mine from Mouser.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 600
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Focussing is a bitch with these tiny parts but added photo with 3pin plug I also removed, is so much bigger :) They are 2x1mm, but if there is sticking some solder they could just as easily have been 0603, difference is tiny. Then they are low voltage, but chinese don't care about ceramic distortion :)

I just measured them with dial calipers they are 0630's. Is it still possible for this to be 10uF?

3pin 0.1" distance includes a pin, the ceramics cannot pass between two pins lenght side (is close :))

4uF seems too high comparing them quickly with film caps on other 3116 amps, but ceramic distortion might influence that especially in low frequencies and they might not be TDK on this Wiener.

Attachments

• 3pin.jpg
    3pin.jpg
    708.3 KB · Views: 750
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
3pin 0.1" distance includes a pin, the ceramics cannot pass between two pins lenght side (is close :))

4uF seems too high comparing them quickly with film caps on other 3116 amps, but ceramic distortion might influence that especially in low frequencies and they might not be TDK on this Wiener.

If you have a dial caliper or micrometer measure your cap length. The one you show is not an 0805 as that would measure 0.080 in long x 0.050 in wide. Or maybe it is but you forget that the thickness of the pins takes away from the center-to-center distance of 0.100 inch.

I measured the one on my Wiener and it clearly would fit between the pins. Look at the photo again and you can see how much smaller than the 0.100 distance on the pins to the left. It is not important as Dug pointed out there are plenty of 10uF caps in 0630 (0.060 in z 0.030 in) size. I am just saying that the input caps on my Wiener are not 0805.

432707d1407786660-tpa3116d2-amp-ybdz-input-caps.jpg

Last edited:
I just dug up some new packed Kemet 0805's and those look wider and considerably higher with reading glasses on LOL, they are 1uF, lenght is same, but that is probably a solder skin on the used Wiener 0603's. The ceramics in your picture circle are identical to the ones just below chip here. Decoupling then probably 0805 and bootstraps 0402. 8.2uF I saw is size some produce too, so could be that too, on pcb they measured around 7uF like I mentioned some weeks ago. They might be a nice upgrade for the "audiobah's" that measure 0.9uF. Audiobahs input 0805(?lol tiny too)probably are higher voltage, the same seem to be in outputfilter there too.

At the moment all those pcb's are packed, guest using my listening room to sleep :) I think I will put a Kemet or audiobah ceramic in gvdd position Wiener once they are unpacked again, only on Wiener that cap measures way too high, also with all inputcaps removed (6.42uF yesterday).

Your photo doesn't have the fake Rubpycons I see, do these greenish caps pretend to be Sanyo's like on "audiobah''?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
My Weiner amp has some sort of no name brand caps - they don't say Rubicon but they are apparently good enough sounding to stay fixed and in use for over 6 months now. I am not motivated enough to swap them out for OSCON's yet as they do sound fine stock.

I am really curious if Ybdz actually thought about how the cap would be degraded with 3v bias and they wanted 4uF to get the deeper bass extension - so they spec'd 10uF caps for this reason.

Given that the design on Ybdz had some thought go into it, maybe so and explains why this amp sounds so darn good stock that it has survived the modding urge for so long.

Okay, I am trying to wire in one of the Panasonic 50k pots recommended here but cannot for the life of me make it work. The amp is a TPA3116 (Ybdz). I followed rhing's wiring diagram he posted on another site but still no sound. Is it possible the pot is faulty? I tried another 50k pot I had in my parts drawer and got sound in minutes. What am I doing wrong?

image.php

Okay, I am trying to wire in one of the Panasonic 50k pots recommended here but cannot for the life of me make it work. The amp is a TPA3116 (Ybdz). I followed rhing's wiring diagram he posted on another site but still no sound. Is it possible the pot is faulty? I tried another 50k pot I had in my parts drawer and got sound in minutes. What am I doing wrong?

image.php

It's possible you might have a faulty potentiometer. Did you test the pot with a multimeter to confirm this? Also, double-check the proper orientation of the pot to insure you are properly following the pin-out diagram. It's very easy to have it reversed (it's happened to me following my own diagram!). Lastly, insure you purchased the correct part number. There are some Panasonic pots that look identical, but could have different functions.

It's possible you might have a faulty potentiometer. Did you test the pot with a multimeter to confirm this? Also, double-check the proper orientation of the pot to insure you are properly following the pin-out diagram. It's very easy to have it reversed (it's happened to me following my own diagram!). Lastly, insure you purchased the correct part number. There are some Panasonic pots that look identical, but could have different functions.

I recently put a modded YJ blue in a very small case, and in the process Almost wired this pot in reverse as Rhing points out, is easy to do. These pots really do sound good with the TPA amps.

DigiKey is promoting a new CUI INC power supply. Has anyone tried one of these. I'm thinking of using a 24V for a 3116 5.1 amp and wondering how well it will perform. Any thoughts :)

http://www.cui.com/product/resource/vof-30.pdf

They are 30 watt output and current limited.

I would guess it is way too low in output current capacity to allow you to play the 5.1 amp at any but low volume levels.