TL072 VS NE5532

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The NE5532 is far superior to the TLO72 in just about every way for audio use, only real exception being the 5532s' relatively large input current spec. The TLO72 has a very limited ability to drive a load, it's prone to latch up if the inputs are overloaded, and has many other "features" that make it undesirable for audio in my opinion.

Mike

Peavey uses a lot of NJM4560 which sounds good IMHO and has more drive current than the first two. NJM4580 is used by some pro gear suppliers. I'm using MC33078 which are quieter than the industry workhorse 4558's that I replaced. LM4562 is the latest hot item, in the parts bin but not experimented with yet. All these fast slew rate amplfiers require local ceramic disk power supply decoupling, and a 22-47 pf capacitor around the feedback resistor, to keep them from oscillating. I know because the 33078's were oscillating until I did all that.

thanks guys :).
i was thinking of building preamp like this with IC socket
you think i should change something ?
where should be the capacitor in the feedback resistors ?

Attachments

• 5532.jpg
    5532.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,765
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
what would be a better op amp of the ne5532 ?

LM4562. After many hours of critical listening tests I have put this as my personal favourite.

thanks , there is another good op amps ?

There are many that are good and many that excel in specific areas. Also "good" can mean different things. For example you could run half a dozen TL072's for the current one NE5532 or LM4562 draws. So that's good :)

For your circuit, a 5532 or 4562 is about as good as it gets. You probably don't need any compensation caps if your layout is good. As ever, test on a scope and look at the transient and squarewave response. A simple RC input filter might be a good idea too. particularly as these are bjt opamps and consequently can be affected by hf hash at the input.

AndrewT
thanks for the advices what do you think of this circut now ?

Mooly
thats why I ask for your opinion , I want to build a circut with IC socket and to put there recommened op amp .
I will start with the NE5532 and buy another opamp one soon .
I think I will give up the tL072 .

Attachments

• TL072.jpg
    TL072.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 995
Is this an audio processing circuit?

The input is F-3dB @ 0.015Hz
The output is F-3dB @ 0.16Hz

Audio stops at ~ 20Hz.
Power amps deliver sufficient low bass with F-3dB ~ 1Hz to 4Hz.
Pre-amps set to one octave lower will deliver all the bass your system could ever reproduce.

Still no RF attenuation.
Still no HF decoupling.

R1 & 3 could be halved again, or even lower. What about 2k:510r?

Last edited:
Still no RF attenuation.
Still no HF decoupling.
RF:
add 1k0 and 330pF to 1nF
HF decoupling:
add 100nF x7r
R1 & 3 could be halved again, or even lower. What about 2k:510r?
Power amps deliver sufficient low bass with F-3dB ~ 1Hz to 4Hz.
Pre-amps set to one octave lower will deliver all the bass your system could ever reproduce.
try preamp with input filters: High Pass of 0.5Hz to 2Hz and Low Pass of 200kHz to 500kHz.
and an output filter : High Pass of 0.5Hz to 2Hz.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.