Threshold NS10 Lineamp PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for verifying Manu (beautiful work :yes: )

Does this need to be optimized for the intended application with respect to current draw, or can we build it with higher current values and just use it universally?

Any possible drawbacks from building it to provide too much current? The load should only draw as much current as it needs correct, or will too low of a current draw cause side-effects?

Thanks,

Stephen

Hi Stephen,
Yes, you can use it universally, limitation for current and voltages, as far as we know, are only limited to device selection and of course heatsinking of the power tranies.

You may want to read hints for setup file on post 219 which hasn’t been updated but will give you a fair idea of how it works --- the only difference you will see is that now R9 has been left out of the circuit and all the shunt load is taken by Q2.

Yes, both PCB’s are one sided, Manu’s and mine, I can prepare a file on pdf suitable for etching, let me know if you want a component or copper side. If you prefer Manu's excellent artwork you may ask him if he is able to prepare one for you at this time... Or else, wait until this GB gets going.

Cheers
:)

Blues said:
Great job on the regulator Tony, Steen and Manu. There's no way I can keep up with you gentlemen. Too busy with family and career:(

Just like you ZM I'm considering a Lightspeed B1...but I know I lag behind so much I'll just copy what you come up with.

Thanks again.

Hi Blues. Thanks and great to hear from you. Where in the world are you? I dont recognize the flag you are flying:)
Any chance you know these guys:
http://www.deltamoon.com/
They are just great.

Aaah, groupy bye bye, just as i thought "wtf should i do with this sht".

Attachments

• philishave.jpg
    philishave.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 768
steenoe said:
Hi Blues. Thanks and great to hear from you. Where in the world are you? I dont recognize the flag you are flying:)
Any chance you know these guys:
http://www.deltamoon.com/
They are just great.

Steen, still up here in the Pacific NW enjoying the nice wet weather. Should've more time DIYing but sadly not the case.

I'm just flying my true colors. The US is my adopted home and has always welcomed me with open arms.

Not really familiar with them but looks like they've paid their dues and can sing mean, honest blues:)

Zen Mod said:
right click on flag-properties-Philippines

ya kwayzee danske :clown:

lud serb nauènik -you've already shared your pumpkin recipe but not your barbeque marinade:))

apassgear said:
Hey Blues, thanks for those nice words. You are welcomed to the party at the time of the :birthday:

Good luck and cheers,

Mucho gracias!

jacco vermeulen said:
Aaah, groupy bye bye, just as i thought "wtf should i do with this sht".

Those look sheeety Jacco!

Re: Tooleregs

Luke said:
There seems to be a lot of talk about this reg and it looks very simple, is it really so good? Would it work as well with 78xx pre regs?

I would say yes, it is so good. Check out the original thread with comments from Jan Didden ( The PSU Ubermeister;) ) and have a look at the plot's.
You can use it with a prereg, but since the 78XX family doesnt support high voltage ( Cant remember how high they go, 25V?)
The shuntreg alone can regulate that amount down to usual levels, such as 15V. Not sure what your needs are though.

:)Toolereg thread

You could use a prereg like LM317 or others but that’s a redundancy I don’t understand. And yes they go up to 37V or so and up to 1.5A.

The shuntreg is composed by a CCS and the regulator by itself so in my view you don't need a prereg. One of the virtues of the Toolereg is that is all discrete and has no feedback.

Better put that effort (or money) on a nice and simple CLC PSU prior to the shunt reg as explained on the Hints file.

Cheers,

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The Toole regulator does seem to be a rather fine
design. You get basically a flat -100dB ripple rejection
up to 1MHz for both the positive and negative regulators.
By comparison, ripple rejection for the old work horses
LM317/LM337 drop to less than -20dB at 1MHz, and
the performance of the negative regulator (LM337)
is inferior to that of the positive part (LM317).

Tooleregs

I have been asked several times for suitable inductors for the CLC filter on the PSU so here are a couple of alternatives from DigyKey (there are others too but didn’t search the whole catalog. They go by the name of Hi Current RF Chokes and we don’t need to go overboard with them.

DK Part Number / Price per single part
M8342-ND / $3.15
M8351-ND / $4.44 (this one is a bit higher rating)

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=M8351-ND

I’m using the hand wound simple air cores as explained on the Hints file on post 219

Cheers,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.