Threshold NS-10 and M1 info. wanted

Hi, Tmblack,

Now try replacing R9 with a CCS like a N-JFET at 8-10mA. I hear a tighter bass.
If you replace R9 with CCS, that means = more OL gain = more feedback = more damping factor. You may hear tighter bass.
If you replace R4 (I use 10k) with smaller value, you will get more OL gain too, but I feel losing details with too small R4.

Now on to more evaluation!
Try the "FASTNESS" test, with playing your system with the fastest musical program you have. This should add more smile on you. :D

To fine tuning the CCT, you can add "warmth" (=add more midrange response) by trying various values of cap (47pf-470pf) between G-D of Q1. This reduces the OL response, but in one pf value, you will find sweet spot where the whole tonal balance is perfect.

I think we should stick with the original NS10 design for now.
It offer good balance of tone and speed. I am finding FET input is sweetening the sound and it should stay true to the source.

The single power supply needs to be very clean, otherwise hum can be heard.

Tom

EE

Just Sold

Very nice production unit just sold on Audiogon for $750.00 USD,prices keep climbing on pristine Threshold NS 10.

Attachments

• internal2.jpg
    internal2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,143
diy challenged

Ah, yes for those of us that are diy challenged, the original NS 10 is the way to go. For me at 62 now, building once again not an option for yeoldestereo.

My hat is certainly off to those that can build this design from the ground up and I am indeed in very esteemed company.

All respondents to this thread have more than impressed me,with your knowledge and expertise and have more than enjoyed reading the posts. Without question the Threshold NS 10 will remain one of the cutting edge designs,even after 28 years in the field.

Many thanks to all,who have let this ole audiophile contribute to this thread, it has been enlightening to say the least:D

Attachments

• faceplate3.jpg
    faceplate3.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,018
A big thank you to you, for posting on the NS10, by others who see magic in Threshold gear.

Viewing pictures of preamplifiers with 8 inputs is already a treat, let alone something as rare as the NS10, seeing a pre-production model is unique.
Even though i find it more intrigueing to find out what is underneith a cover, understand and duplicate it, i truly envy you.
Forgering a Renoir is not the same as owning one.

I guess the original NS10 are the wiper carbon track type pot and even new they won’t compete with the “audiophile type” we most likely use as DIY’ers, these are the “discreet” ladder or series resistors (stepped attenuators) mounted on a shorting switch.

Drawbacks?

Bigger, you must check if they will fit and more expensive too plus you usually only get around 23 steps.
:)

P.S. Another alternative is to try an Alps Black Velvet pot and see if that makes an inprovement.