Threshold NS-10 and M1 info. wanted

Everyday we hear a differential based system. NE5532, 4558, TL072, all opamps inside TV set, Compo, CD player, most commercial products, even HiFi equipment is using differential system.
You should listen to this NS10 design. No matter what source you have (CD, Tuner, PH, etc) and no matter what amp you use after that, as long as you are familiar with the sound. You will hear something in the music that you never heard all this time :D

The NS 10 broke out at around $1,295.00 if memory serves me correct. They now bring an used average price of about $400.00 depending on condition. The NS 10 are becoming somewhat hard to find. Seems that audiophiles that have then keep them. Now thats validation.

However the SL 10(pic below) is generally easier to find and the cosmetics are just stunning. The SL 10 broke out at $1,290.00 and has an average used price of $420.00, but most go for near $500.00 now,or more depending on condition.

For late 70s retail prices, these were not inexpensive to say the least and not many audiophiles could afford them. Everybody wanted them, but few had the the price of admission.

When it comes to todays used prices for these, it becomes a no brainer to choose either one of these. One can do seriously worse in a preamp. It is the sonics and build quality of these early Threshold preamps, that make them a viable alternative to most anything today.

Just had my NS 10 gone through by Jon Soderberg and the service was $175.00, so it is good for another 20 years. Now thats value! Service prices are based upon what is needed to bring the preamp up to specification. So prices from Jon will be based upon service needed to a specific Threshold preamp. As most of you know Jon was at Threshold the same time Nelson Pass was there, so Jon has the knowledge and expertise to handle any and all Threshold service requirements. Thats all I need to know. Jon has worked on several of my Threshold amps and preamps and have always been more than pleased with his results. Very hard to find this kind of workmanship and integrity today.

So if your looking for a preamp consider the Threshold NS 10 or SL 10 have it serviced and your set for a very long time. I firmly believe that once you have one of these, your preamp needs are set for quite some time.

As far as I am concern these are like Ferrari. Once a Ferrari always a Ferrari regardless of when they were new. And certainly these early Threshold preamps more than fall into that category.

Attachments

• threshold sl10.jpg
    threshold sl10.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,138
Naim topology is only similar concerning the non-differential input. Beyond that I dont see many similarities. Naim also relates strongly to the supply and grounding scheme, which is part of the whole topology. I am very familiar with Naim amps from the eighties, I can hardly imagine any similarities soundwise with Threshold preamps.

The picture on the post is of the SL 10 which has an outboard power supply. Of which most other high end manufacturers later on copied. I think the SL 10 was the first high end preamp to use an outboard power supply. Although I cannot be a 100 percent on that statement.

However if one looks through these post, there is a picture of my NS 10 I currently use. The NS 10 does not have an outboard power supply. However it is sufficenlty isolated in the NS 10, particulary on this NS 10 prototype.

The NS 10 did have an optional outboard accessory called the M 1 and it was for Moving Coil phono cartridges and plugged into the back of the NS 10 via connector and umbilical cord.

Think the NS 10 is a hard find, try to find the M1 accessory!!!

I've been looking for five years for this.

As well there was the M7 power supply for the M1,so it could be used with other preamps, though not needed for the NS 10, as the M1 received its power directly from the NS 10 when connected.

I just make up my NS10 version with JFET for Q1.
It works like a charm just like the simulation.

There is something that makes my CD's sound like LP's.
Good pace and ease in the sound.

Naim topology is only similar concerning the non-differential input. Beyond that I dont see many similarities. Naim also relates strongly to the supply and grounding scheme, which is part of the whole topology. I am very familiar with Naim amps from the eighties, I can hardly imagine any similarities soundwise with Threshold preamps.

I see them almost exactly alike. Take the 2 transistors that fom a constant current source and replace with single resistor. Now both NAC 32 and NS10 have 3 transistors in almost identical configuration.

That is the line stage, no idea about the RIAA stage or the preamps.

Tom

EE

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yeoldestereo said:
The picture on the post is of the SL 10 which has an outboard power supply. Of which most other high end manufacturers later on copied. I think the SL 10 was the first high end preamp to use an outboard power supply. Although I cannot be a 100 percent on that statement.

Quad QC (preamp for II) and numerous other tube pramps from that era-powering from power amp?

;) :clown: :devilr:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
i'm also interested in topology of Nelson's power supply for NS10;
not schm,just topology.......
when I have time I'll try that jewell with heeeeaavy shunt type supply (burnin' at least 10 times of steady current) :devilr:

btw- version with dual supply (2x25V) looks most promising -maybe even DC coupled on both ends ,and just nmaybe with sort of servo from SL10