Threadjacking

The radiator fan wouldn't come on unless I unplugged the coolant temperature sensor, so I need to replace that. Now that the radiator fan is functional we can take it for a test drive, hopefully to a local auto store to get the computer checked.

There is a gasket between the lifter/oil cap section of the engine and the middle of the engine. It has what looks like brown cooked on oil along it but it doesn't look like any recent drips. I don't know why there would be anything dripping through this seal because the oil never comes up that far anyways.

Analog Devices have a funky 404 error page, see attached:

Attachments

• 400.gif
    400.gif
    99.2 KB · Views: 149
The car started blowing smoke and then was abandoned and left in our driveway for a few years, driven periodically. I suspect someone put the wrong coolant in, causing it to gel and not circulate, which cased engine overheating and then you know the rest.

I had to take the whole tank down on mine too.

Looking at a potential water pump and radiator replacement, and probably a piston ring and head gasket replacement, makes me wonder if I should even bother. The only remarkable thing about this car is that it's a V6.

The car started blowing smoke and then was abandoned and left in our driveway for a few years, driven periodically. I suspect someone put the wrong coolant in, causing it to gel and not circulate, which cased engine overheating and then you know the rest.

I had to take the whole tank down on mine too.

Looking at a potential water pump and radiator replacement, and probably a piston ring and head gasket replacement, makes me wonder if I should even bother. The only remarkable thing about this car is that it's a V6.

ah long term storage caused bad gas which freezes the fuel pump.
drain and replace all fluids!
standard shift? who knows perhaps the original smoking problem was caused by an over revved engine Eg shattered piston ring. compression check is pretty easy to do with a low cost meter and some help.

Last edited:
Coolant won't appear to circulate until thermostat opens. Mixing green and orange coolant shouldn't damage anything. But non-functional fan would. Doc

Honda electric fans don't come on until well after thermostat opens
head gasket is easy to find after draining fluids
who decided to top off the coolant with Toyota antifreeze?
IMO compression check will determine course of any action for a $2K car. LOL

Last edited:
What I read is that red and green coolants when mixed form a gel which clogs the radiator, preventing coolant from circulating. This is supported by the fact that when I changed the O2 sensor, the coolant that came out was still green, even though the car has been run.

The fan works and the new temperature sensor also works. The previous sensor was probably killed by overheating, which also suggests the coolant is not circulating for some reason.

G12 (red/pink/audi/vw) and different coolant can cause "Gelling"
Dexron or whatever ... (GM/orange/organic?) one shouldn't be mixed either.

What you trying to do with this shitbox?
White smoke is coolant.
Bluish, but kind of white also smoke is oil.
Engine overheating isn't really any smoke out of tailpipe unless it messes up engine.

Water pumps don't really "die".
The bear might go then it will leak and mess up the timing belt, if it's on that belt.
Are you rebuilding the engine?

I clean out a coolant system by flushing it with water and running it.
Do the math, but turn the heat on and also remember coolant is suppose to be lubricant for water pump also.

The coolant system seems to still be working after some tests. The thermostat may be stuck open because it is difficult to make the engine hot.

I did the compression tests:

Code:
Cylinder	Dry	Wet
2		90	90
4		100	110
6		120	145
1		135	180
3		150	240
5		140	150

Sometimes smoke would come out of cylinders 5 and 4 while cranking. Also I think I put too much oil in cylinder 3.

So... It runs, so maybe we could sell it, but I'm considering rebuilding the engine.

The coolant system seems to still be working after some tests. The thermostat may be stuck open because it is difficult to make the engine hot.

I did the compression tests:

Code:
Cylinder	Dry	Wet
2		90	90
4		100	110
6		120	145
1		135	180
3		150	240
5		140	150

Sometimes smoke would come out of cylinders 5 and 4 while cranking. Also I think I put too much oil in cylinder 3.

So... It runs, so maybe we could sell it, but I'm considering rebuilding the engine.

Very nice.
Are you partially or fully psychotic like most if not all audiophiles?
Where's tommy T when you need him?
I need more pics of the girl with the bacon foot!

The more I live the more I think people in general are psychotic (myself being no exception), and how that explains so many things. But since you bring it up, can I ask what you think the sane thing to do is in my situation?

My engine is the GM L28. 3.1L V6:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_60°_V6_engine#L82

My car doesn't use the "dogbone" mounts, and it looks like this engine will be relatively easy as far as a head gasket replacement goes. Replacing the piston rings might be beyond my means.

The exhaust manifold gasket on this engine is known for degrading and letting coolant into the engine, although my oil is not milky.