Thoughts on new simulator - QSpice

It is being developed by Mike Engelhardt (LTSpice creator). It seems to still be in very early development but already looks quite promising. I have tried it out for a few hours and have been quite impressed so far. I will definitely be keeping an eye on this to see how it develops, it would be nice to see some competition in this space as there hasn't really been any major developments made to free simulators in quite some time.

Things that I like are:
Modern interface
Fast
Can write Verilog code blocks that runs natively
You can type the location of where you want a cursor to appear in the waveform viewer

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I think Mike should do whatever he damn well wants to, if he's working for free. If he's being paid by Ersatzco Entity, probably he should do much or most of what Ersatzco Entity wants. While disregarding the demands from those who reddit delightfully labels "Choosing Beggars".

_

Attachments

• screen_grabb.png
    screen_grabb.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
It is in developing stages and assume much more to come.
Many people are familiar with LTspice
So should be useful to those that like it.
Much like LT just building/testing circuits and importing models.
Is extremely slow and odd, every step of the way.
With Q not much of a library, pasted one transistor.
Yep same old thing. Closed it, the end.
Lt user likely adapt

Joined 2011
Unbelievable. Such a gift to the community, and these kinds of reactions?
And user libraries will be imported, and developed as time goes on.

I have a dedicated computer set up just for using one particular piece of software
that is very important for me. Why worry about what operating system is needed?
Computers are cheap. Or use virtual machine software if you only want one PC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Unbelievable. Such a gift to the community, and these kinds of reactions?

More fragmentation of the spice community is a gift? Binding to OS's that are commercial and not generally used by the academic and research communities is a gift? The reason the spice code was so central for decades was because it was good enough, open and written in standard languages like Fortran or C that could be used on any platform by anybody. Certainly some users will benefit from slick user interfaces particularly if it is adapted to their area of interest but it hasn't served the interests of the spice community as a whole to have multiple solvers that aren't platform independent with some being proprietary. There might have been more of a case if the solver wasn't relatively straightforward to maintain and develop in an open manner by interested users. Whatever, the change happened decades ago and probably only bugs oldies.

Reactions: 1 users