This is what Really Causes Heart Disease

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point being, as you stated about the Inuit, high fat diet.

One of the things that is being thought about is the diet and affect of diet and where your ancestors are from. The Inuit can handle high fat. Other genetic backgrounds can't.

I just don't trust a lot of what's published anymore. i had to explain t the doctors what I was doing and why. I was told I was wrong, until the blood tests showed what I was doing worked.

The Inuits may get 5000 or 6000 calories from any source, no big deal becausen they *burn* them all.
Now a sedentary urban office type guy eats a liitle more grease than he actually needs and excess either gets stored in fatty tissue (least bad) or covering artery walls and infiltrating important organs.
Fat *amount* by itself is not that bad , but placement makes a big difference.

I remember a few years ago there was a very hard winter in Russia and the Ukraine and people were suffering and being advised to eat boiled fat because they needed the high easily assimilated energy to survive
Skepticblog >> Breaking News: The Government Wants to Poison Children!

This from the same source" of the original article.
How quickly we forget the morbidity and mortality of bygone eras...(it's neither a disease of modern diets, nor an epidemic).

Heart disease found in Egyptian mummies -- ScienceDaily

This from the same source" of the original article.
How quickly we forget the morbidity and mortality of bygone eras...(it's neither a disease of modern diets, nor an epidemic).

Historic data does not support that. Yes, in towns with horrible sanitary conditions mortality was very high, but slaves were carefully documented, and you can find for yourself how long they used to live. However, native Americans did not have records, but they had very good herbal medicine, so I believe they used to live as long as people today in remote mountains.

Last edited:
Historic data does not support that. Yes, in towns with horrible sanitary conditions mortality was very high, but slaves were carefully documented, and you can find for yourself how long they used to live. However, native Americans did not have records, but they had very good herbal medicine, so I believe they used to live as long as people today in remote mountains.
You describe well documented autopsies of well preserved specimens as innaccurate historical data and use a supposition to refute my claim.

What can be examined is ancient teeth, which don't support your notion.

Old Age Was Secret of Modern Humans' Success - Scientific American

There's a reason Hobbes described the normal lot in life as "Nasty, brutish and short." in 1651.

Last edited:

Yeah, it's easy to forget that our life expectancy over the 20th century exploded. Heart disease, like so many forms of cancer, is a disease of age, largely (with plenty of exceptions), but obviously there's a lot we can do to lower our risk factors.

But it's good to remember that risk factors are identified at the population level and there's plenty of variation at the individual level.

And, really, most of the discussion in this thread is nonsense, at best; dangerous at worst. I'll stick to the big movers discussed by your (pick country of choice) national health organizations: NIH and CDC for this Yank. Big N swamps all these anecdotes. And that's smoking/diet (with a focus towards whatever keeps your body weight in a healthier range)/diabetes (ties in with the latter)/exercise/alcohol for the most part.

Food composition matters, yes, but the data is far murkier than the phenotypic result, i.e. cholesterol count (both absolute and LDL), body weight, etc. You won't get far trying to violate the laws of thermodynamics.

There may be finer tuning knobs that you'd want to consult with a physician about, but lifestyle factors are huge, and Pareto might have a word with you about where to focus your efforts. ;)

My wife works in Endocrinology and Internal Medicine many years, and relatively recently got into Functional Medicine, because for many patients traditional "Cases & Recipes" medicine does not work. So, we pay close attention to what we eat, after negative examples that she sees every day, and positive examples when people get healthy after many years of suffering, when primary physicians were helpless...

Yeah, it's easy to forget that our life expectancy over the 20th century exploded. Heart disease, like so many forms of cancer, is a disease of age, largely (with plenty of exceptions), but obviously there's a lot we can do to lower our risk factors.

But it's good to remember that risk factors are identified at the population level and there's plenty of variation at the individual level.

And, really, most of the discussion in this thread is nonsense, at best; dangerous at worst. I'll stick to the big movers discussed by your (pick country of choice) national health organizations: NIH and CDC for this Yank. Big N swamps all these anecdotes. And that's smoking/diet (with a focus towards whatever keeps your body weight in a healthier range)/diabetes (ties in with the latter)/exercise/alcohol for the most part.

Food composition matters, yes, but the data is far murkier than the phenotypic result, i.e. cholesterol count (both absolute and LDL), body weight, etc. You won't get far trying to violate the laws of thermodynamics.

There may be finer tuning knobs that you'd want to consult with a physician about, but lifestyle factors are huge, and Pareto might have a word with you about where to focus your efforts. ;)
I think it important to point out this essential observation when wooly notions about health and wellness challenge the current standard of care: heart disease, obesity and diabetes are suffered by successful cultures.

Starvation, infectious disease and crippling injuries were the major killers as recently a hundred years ago for most people.

Never mentioned about today's healthier cultures walk almost everywhere and get up to do little activities eight to ten times an hour.

What's notable about this approach is how rare it is and the broad social connections required to maintain it over decades.
Here Are the Secrets to a Long and Healthy Life

I think it important to point out this essential observation when wooly notions about health and wellness challenge the current standard of care: heart disease, obesity and diabetes are suffered by successful cultures.

Starvation, infectious disease and crippling injuries were the major killers as recently a hundred years ago for most people.

Right, of course, that's why I emphasized that they're diseases of age, which has the prerequisite of living long enough to have heart disease kill you. But it's also clear that we're practicing suboptimal lifestyles. Even if we've had such a meteoric rise in life expectancy in the past 150 years. No time to rest on our laurels.

And pardon my ignorance, but isn't functional medicine another rebranding of alternative, wait no, complementary medicine?

Status
Not open for further replies.